SiouxSports.com Forum

Nick Fuher

pro17

I don't appreciate being called dumb. Especially when it is opinions regarding hockey. Where quite frankly, I feel my opinion holds value, as I experienced a hockey career that goes a lot further than most. Getting hurt is a risk you take, if the possiblity of getting hurt is too great for you, join the friggin' band. It's like the parents who make their kids where helmets on their bikes. Control is an illusion. People have accidents and can get hurt. Mafia man, you went after me with references to a boarding call, a sucker punch, and a stick swinger...what do any of these things have to do with the topic at hand? What do those things have to do with face masks or playing without fear? Are you going to blame the Danny Heatley accident on not wearing a half shield too?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't appreciate being called dumb.  Especially when it is opinions regarding hockey.  Where quite frankly, I feel my opinion holds value, as I experienced a hockey career that goes a lot further than most.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think your opinion is dumb, but I do think it represents part of the problem. You think that players who wear shields or other facial protection are "playing in fear" or "Sallys." You're willing to ridicule anyone who entertains that notion just so you can maintain your macho illlusion of invincibility.

I, on the other hand, believe that the players who take steps to protect themselves to a reasonable degree and stay healthy are being smart. If I were skilled enough to play hockey at the professional level and make a good living at it, why shouldn't I do whatever I could to play as much as possible for as long as possible? It only makes sense.

Every time I hear about or see a player go down because of being hit in the face by a stick or puck, I have one thought: What a waste.

I guess my take on the whole thing is this: I believe it should always be the player's choice in professional hockey if they want to wear a mask, shield, half shield, etc. I'm glad that college along with other leagues have made full face masks/shields mandatory.

If the player chooses to play without the shield, than they take the risk of being injured.

It was interesting to hear Nick's Dad on the radio this morning with Mike McNamara.

Get well soon Nick.

People need to learn to read more closely. I never called players with half-shields Sally's. In fact I reference the fact that I wore a half-shield at the last level when I played. I said in my prior post that you are thought of as a Sally if you wear a mask. I never said that i personally thought a player with a mask on was a Sally. I talk about not putting on the facemask, because you don't think about getting hurt. You think about scoring goals and winning games. If you were worried about getting hurt enough even to think about it, then your mind isn't in the right place. This is the arrogance and swagger I am talking about. Getting hurt is the furthest thing from your mind and should be.

Just a side note for any interested, i have a scar on my chin and lower cheek that is about three inches long that is left over from the plastic surgery I had that reconstructed the 12 stitch scar I received when I was opened up by a goalie stick in Selkirk MB. I was 18 years old. I wore a half shield before it happened and I kept the shield for the rest of the season. The thought of going to a full mask never even crossed my mind. The peer pressure was of more concern to me than an injury.

The peer pressure was of more concern to me than an injury.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is what I'm talking about as being part of the problem, which you apparently buy into.

No matter how invincible you think you are or how much confidence and swagger you possess, it won't stop a puck from smashing into your face or a stick from slicing your eye.

I don't think about having accidents when I put on my seatbelt before I turn on my car. It's force of habit. I do it without even thinking about it and because I know that staying alive is in my best interest and the best interest of my family.

Mafia man, you went after me with references to a boarding call, a sucker punch, and a stick swinger...what do any of these things have to do with the topic at hand?  What do those things have to do with face masks or playing without fear?  Are you going to blame the Danny Heatley accident on not wearing a half shield too?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Had Donald Brashear been wearing a full facemask or shield, the McSorley hit would have left him with nothing more than a big headache.

Your comments earlier seemed to promote that type of thuggery in hockey. After all, isn't "arrogance" and "swagger" what it's all about? You want arrogance and swagger? Go watch the NBA.

I guess my take on the whole thing is this:  I believe it should always be the player's choice in professional hockey if they want to wear a mask, shield, half shield, etc. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

OK, why don't we make it an option to wear a batting helmet in baseball or an option to wear a football helmet in the NFL? Standard equipment is pretty much a must in any sport, sorry to say. Is someone now going to argue that constitutional rights are being violated, too?

The peer pressure was of more concern to me than an injury.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You hit the nail on the head. The problem is a matter of bullying that leads to irrational decisions. Peer pressure causes people to make unwise choices at any age. Making it a league rule takes the peer pressure out of it, and greatly decreases the chances of an accidental stick, flying puck, or, heaven forbid, a skate in the face. And it clearly cuts down the potential for serious damage from an intentional act of violence.

I would really like to see the statistics on how many hockey players (at all levels) in the past 20 years have had their career ended by an injury that would have been prevented or non-career threatening with a face mask, as well as how many man-games have been lost due to needless injuries that could have been prevented by a face mask. I believe that the numbers would be staggering and eye opening. It might also put an end to some of this athlete false bravado of invincibility that it will never happen to me. Sports is sports and life is life, and the first should never rule the second.

"I said in my prior post that you are thought of as a Sally if you wear a mask."

"The peer pressure was of more concern to me than an injury."

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Does anybody else see the irony in this? A person is more concerned with (scared of) (those are my words) what somebody might think of them, which will not physically hurt them, than they are of the actual physical injury. Doesn't that make them a 'Sally' anyway?

I know this type of thought process is prevalent throughout sports, and I think youth is a large reason why. The older you get the less you give a rip what people think of you.

I think it just plain stinks for the player and I wish him the best in his recovery. I personally side with the group that believes mask or a minimum of eye protection should be required. That way players don't have to pay for their own machismo actions.

I could live with NHL players going maskless because almost every NHL player is good enough to control their sticks at almost all times. In all lower levels the players need to be protected from themselves. A situation like Nicks should have been avoidable.

Dr. Jeffrey Edelstein is scheduled to perform orbital surgery on Taffe in the Valley on Tuesday. Edelstein also performed orbital surgery on former Coyotes forward Landon Wilson.

This tells me that these injuries just aren't uncommon enough to continue going on as is.

Standard equipment is pretty much a must in any sport, sorry to say. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is exactly what we are talking about here, whether or not a shield or a mask should be considered "standard" equipment in the NHL/AHL and therefore the players should be forced to wear one or the other.

"Sorry to say", it is not considered standard equipment at this time.

The earlier mentioned comment about getting injured should be the furthest thing from your mind, and if your worried aobut getting hurt your mind isn't in the right place. Is EXACTLY the point I was trying to make. If protective gear ie face masks/shields were mandated by the Leagues then the individual players wouldn't have to worry about if others think they are weak or "Sallys" for wearing one. It would just be the way it is and they can cry about that. Sure protective gear doesn't protect you from every possible injury out there but athletes do take alot of measures to prevent injury. They condition, practice, have physicals, stretch, warm up, wear pads, helmets and etc...

• 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...

We didn't go into great detail about the injury. He seemed to be more interested in how my 10 yr old was doing this summer. He was wearing glasses and like I said has been invited back. He didn't offer much more and I didn't ask.