SiouxSports.com Forum

Nick Fuher

pro17

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If shields were no longer required you'd have to actually call the high-sticking penalty as written in the rulebook:

High Sticks

SECTION 21. a. Carrying sticks above the height of 4 feet [1.22m], height of the goal cage, is prohibited.

PENALTY

I fail to see the logic behind this.  Wouldn't goalies have better vision without a face mask?  Wouldn't NFL players have better vision without a helmet? 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What about race car drivers and motorcycle racers? I'm sure they could see better without helmets, too.

Sorry guys, one more thought. I would think that as long as you are stepping on the ice with goons of the caliber of Bertuzzi, a little extra protection would help. Marty McSorley made a career of apologizing after-the-fact by stating that "he got caught up in the heat of battle" after spearing or butt-ending someone in a flagrant act. Some athletes simply lose rational thought in the heat of battle. In those types of situations, I don't think someone is going to think "Oh, I better keep my stick down because he doesn't have a face mask." Players react, sometimes viciously and with malice. Very unfortunate, but a fact of sports.

I think shields/masks should be required. There are so many professions where practicing workplace safety is mandatory. Afterall, you can't enter an osha-level job site without a hardhat and you can't do the windows on the Wells Fargo Center without a safety harness. Why are sports occupations exempt?

In the meantime, rather than post my best wishes here (I'm not sure the players look at this site), I sent a brief note to Nick Fuher thru the Coyotes organization website, with all of our best wishes for a full recovery. I think it would be great if everyone would do the same.

Exactly. I don't remember who this involved, but in the NHL playoffs a few years ago (maybe even the Stanley Cup series, I forget) a player viciously crosschecked another square in the mouth behind the goal. About killed the guy.

I agree some additional sticks might get up, but I think its worth the price.

I posted this earlier the ECHL ,UHL,CHL all have mandatory face shields and there isn't more high sticking than in any other game. No one in those leagues have refused to wear a face mask the players that are from the NHL that are playing in the ECHL this year aren't refusing to wear the face mask so if you can do in this league why not the NHL or AHL. If you want to play and that is the rule you'll follow the rules or not play so then the choice will be yours. It is just a bunch of excuses not to mandate the use of face shields full half or cage which ever the player wants to wear. I watch a lot of ECHL and the sticks aren't any higher and if the calls are made that are put in place you wouldn't have the problem. Nicks injury wasn't caused by an intentional high stick and if he would've had even a half shield he would probably not be in the hospital today. Part of the problem is that the players don't have the respect for each other that they did years ago. So your seeing more eye injuries ,broken wrists, knees blown out etc.

I posted this earlier  the ECHL ,UHL,CHL all have mandatory face shields and there isn't more high sticking than in any other game. No one in those leagues have refused to wear a face mask the players that are from the NHL that are playing in the ECHL this year aren't refusing to wear the face mask so if you can do in this league why not the NHL or AHL. If you want to play and that is the rule you'll follow the rules or not play so then the choice will be yours. It is just a bunch of excuses not to mandate the use of face shields full half or cage which ever the player wants to wear. I watch a lot of ECHL and the sticks aren't any higher and if the calls are made that are put in place you wouldn't have the problem. Nicks injury wasn't caused by an intentional high stick and if he would've had even a half shield he would probably not be in the hospital today. Part of the problem is that the players don't have the respect for each other that they did years ago. So your seeing more eye injuries ,broken wrists, knees blown out etc.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why do you think it is that players don't carry the same amount of respect for eachother that they once did? I think this is true as well, and can't really put my finger on a reason why...

Also, do you think that in leagues like the WCHA, allowing fighting again would improve the level of respect between players?

I'm not sure why the respect is gone but the more I watch you see it. I personally don't care for the fighting I'd rather see a hard hitting physical game but that is the way hockey used to be. The WCHA could adopt the rules in USHL they do fight but in the last 10 minutes of the 3rd if you drop the gloves your out for the remainder of that game and the next game also if you drop the drop the gloves you sit for 5 no matter what so some of them do have to think a little before they fight . You ususally don't see much fighting at the end of the third. They also let them play hockey it is physical but the calls that are called are the ones that need to be inforced high stick,checking from behind,boarding etc. those are the ones with the most potential to cause injury they are the ones that are called and a lot of the little stuff is let go. Of course it has been a few years since I watched the USHL but it also seemed like the kids knew what was going to be called and it did seem to be consistant throughout the league. Maybe that is where some of the problem lies no consistancy in the reffing .

Some excellent points here, good read.

It's mind-boggling that the NHL, Board of Govenors, and PA are so lax with this issue. The number one issue is obviously safety, protecting the player. The league and the owners (for the most part) could care less about the player. What do they care about? Money. You would think the loss on investment would get their attention. You have a five to ten million dollar a year player that misses the whole season to an injury that could have been prevented by using a visor. Someone will say insurance will cover his salary, true. But what about the fans that don't buy tickets because they wanted to see that player? Merchandise sales lost. Decreased level of play for the team, maybe missing the playoffs.

"Visors are for wimps and euro's." - Don Cherry on HNIC, June 2004

First off, I'd like to wish Nick the best, and hope he fully recovers and can hit the ice again.

Second, I think the arguments against visors/shields are crap. Players and teams have a vested interested in ensuring the safety of player. Players don't give a second thought to putting on breezers, a cup, pads and gloves when they suit up. Why should visors be any different? You're more likely to catch a puck or stick across the face that a blade getting between the visor and the face. I wear an Oakley visor and never really experience a loss of perception or space once I'm used to it. Your eyes and body adjust to their environments. Moreover, if the rules were rigorously enforced, as we've discussed ad nauseum, we probably wouldn't have to worry about. But until then, I see no reason why a $50 piece of carbonite plastic can't spare a guy a few hours under the knife and perhaps save his career too.

No visits to the doc involved (knock on wood) :silly:

I always felt invincible out on the ice, and I'm sure guys at the AHL and NHL level feel that even more. Facing vulnerability is not good in an athlete. Arrogance and remorseless swagger make a better athlete. You can't play scared.

No visits to the doc involved (knock on wood)  :silly:

I always felt invincible out on the ice, and I'm sure guys at the AHL and NHL level feel that even more.  Facing vulnerability is not good in an athlete.  Arrogance and remorseless swagger make a better athlete.  You can't play scared.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Uh yeah. I'm sure this candy-ass wears a visor because he's afraid.

5Parise_sm.jpg

I agree. I don't think a half-shield does very much of anything. If a stick comes up the half-shield isn't going to protect you. In my opinion if your not going to where a full mask don't where anything because the half-shield is pretty much useless besides the fact that some may feel safer with one on.

I think about the player from junior that does not have a college degree to fall back on. Some of these guys have been public during the lockout saying things like, 'hockey is all I know how to do.' So if hockey is the only way they know how to earn a living and provide for their family, wouldn't it be prudent to protect yourself as much as possible? Sure, there is no defense for a sucker punch, errant stick, or puck that bounces up into the face. Those are things you can't control. You can control putting on a visor to protect yourself. Good thread.

Some excellent points here, good read.

It's mind-boggling that the NHL, Board of Govenors, and PA are so lax with this issue.  The number one issue is obviously safety, protecting the player.  The league and the owners (for the most part) could care less about the player.  What do they care about?  Money.  You would think the loss on investment would get their attention.  You have a five to ten million dollar a year player that misses the whole season to an injury that could have been prevented by using a visor.  Someone will say insurance will cover his salary, true.  But what about the fans that don't buy tickets because they wanted to see that player? Merchandise sales lost.  Decreased level of play for the team, maybe missing the playoffs.

"Visors are for wimps and euro's."  - Don Cherry on HNIC, June 2004

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think we have seen with the current situation of the NHL that the "number one issue" with both the owners AND the players association is money. You don't see the NHLPA demanding that there be mandatory face protection, but you do see them demanding no salary cap, high signing bonuses, etc.

The fans understand that their favorite players could be hurt at any time, be it a stick or puck to the face, or a broken leg. If they care enough, they still follow the team...would you quit buying tickets to Sioux games if Stafford got injured? I really don't think that requiring everyone in the NHL to wear a facemask is going to help merchandise sales either.

Hockey players are not stupid (an exception could be made for the Gophers), they know the risks. You say there is a decrease in the level of play for the team when a key player gets hurt, but I think that at the pro level, you would see a greater decrease in the level of play if players were required to wear masks.

No visits to the doc involved (knock on wood)  :lol:

I always felt invincible out on the ice, and I'm sure guys at the AHL and NHL level feel that even more.  Facing vulnerability is not good in an athlete.  Arrogance and remorseless swagger make a better athlete.  You can't play scared.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yea, you're right, yzerman19. So shut your yapper about the Paukovich hit, huh? Clearly that kind of arrogance and remorseless swagger makes better athletes on the ice. And while we're at it, why don't we give Marty McSorley and Todd Bertuzzi Hall of Fame plaques instead of villifying them. :silly:

I've read some dumb comments on here, but yours take the cake.