SiouxSports.com Forum

Column in the Michigan School Newspaper

RD17

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His article is really just a sophomoric attempt. Think about it. A thesis that basically states "My choice was better than the guy who attended ND". What an idiotic statement. In order to justify and validate himself and prove the point that he loves his school better, he has to resort to the very grade school tatic of bashing somebody else's choices. Pathetic. In the real world, you can't get away with that, but remember, this is a school newspaper.

I look at him as an ungrateful brat that has forgotten his roots. Hopefully his mom and dad will still let him come back and live with them after he graduates - based on the journalism I've seen so far, he's not going to last long writing at a real paper.

It's pretty normal for a kid who leaves his hometown or state to be arrogant towards those he "left behind." I felt the same way when I left for Mpls. It lasted a few years during my early-to-mid 20's. Then I realized there were more and more things I missed about ND. Now, I'm trying to find my way out of here . . .

A lot of "kids" feel this when they leave, unfortunately, his reckless thoughts and ramblings got published.

First of all, I'd like to defend Mr. Joshua Q. Holman. I know the kid quite well, and he's not quite the satanist you message board nerds make him out to be.

Second of all, if you would rather be at braly stadium in december than the rose bowl in jan, you are an idiot.

If you would rather be at the Betty for an NCC basketball tournament than the United Center for the Big Ten tourney, you are an idiot.

If you think UND has athletic tradition that even compares to Michigan's in any sport other than hockey, you are an idiot.

Michigan has the NBA, NHL, NFL and Major League Baseball; North Dakota has the Northern League.

Quit kidding yourselves guys.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think it's always so nice when the bottom comes out to defend a minor league columnist, especially when the highlight of the tantrum is the term "idiot". That said ... You are grimy, squalid, nasty and profane. You are foul and disgusting. You're a fool, an ignoramus. Monkeys look down on you. You are unreservedly pathetic, starved for attention, and lost in a land that reality forgot.

So, when does hockey start again? :lol:???

First of all, I'd like to defend Mr. Joshua Q. Holman. I know the kid quite well, and he's not quite the satanist you message board nerds make him out to be.

Second of all, if you would rather be at braly stadium in december than the rose bowl in jan, you are an idiot.

If you would rather be at the Betty for an NCC basketball tournament than the United Center for the Big Ten tourney, you are an idiot.

If you think UND has athletic tradition that even compares to Michigan's in any sport other than hockey, you are an idiot.

Michigan has the NBA, NHL, NFL and Major League Baseball; North Dakota has the Northern League.

Quit kidding yourselves guys.

I can't dispute any of the examples here but why not mention hockey? I would prefer to watch most Sioux hockey games in person, either at the Ralph or at places like Mariucci over most any other athletic contest named above.

Heck, give me the Final Five over the Rose Bowl ANY DAY OF THE WEEK.

I sent Josh a fairly nice e-mail yesterday and got a nice reply in return from him. I would post some of his comments here, but I don't want Jim breathing down my neck. He did say that the article was basically meant to talk about how great a sports town and community Ann Arbor is and not as a cut to North Dakota. I think he meant well, but his pen misconstrued his words a bit. He even mentioned a possible follow-up article about North Dakota and that being his last article. We'll see if it happens. If you want to see the comments, PM me w/your e-mail address and I will forward the exchange we had to you. He's a college kid winding down his four years and much like when I graduated from UND in 1992, he's gonna miss Michigan. I can't say I blame him.

Dagies, you need a psych exam if you think the WCHA Final Five can in any way, shape, or form compete with the Rose Bowl. Being a former North Dakota boy myself and having visited Michigan Stadium for the Penn State game back in 1999, I can honestly tell you walking into the place for the very first time gave me goosebumps. I grew up 20 miles from a town of 800 people. Our black and white TV carried two stations: NBC and ABC. From the time I was 5 years old, I could hum "Hail to the Victors" in my sleep and dreamed of someday being Anthony Carter or Desmond Howard. A stadium holding 108,000 people...or 1 in every 6 North Dakotans...wow. I thought it was incredible. Regardless of whether or not you like football or sports in general, the atmosphere is second-to-none. Throw in a couple of F-14's flying overhead since it was Veteran's Day weekend and well, I hope you get the picture. I sat next to 40 year + season ticket holders who had been to 14 bowl games in their lifetime, including 7 Rose Bowls. Me having attended about 10 Final Fives and 3 Frozen Fours pales in comparison.

Just my two cents...

Dagies, you need a psych exam if you think the WCHA Final Five can in any way, shape, or form compete with the Rose Bowl.  Being a former North Dakota boy myself and having visited Michigan Stadium for the Penn State game back in 1999, I can honestly tell you walking into the place for the very first time gave me goosebumps.  I grew up 20 miles from a town of 800 people.  Our black and white TV carried two stations:  NBC and ABC.  From the time I was 5 years old, I could hum "Hail to the Victors" in my sleep and dreamed of someday being Anthony Carter or Desmond Howard.  A stadium holding 108,000 people...or 1 in every 6 North Dakotans...wow.  I thought it was incredible.  Regardless of whether or not you like football or sports in general, the atmosphere is second-to-none.  Throw in a couple of F-14's flying overhead since it was Veteran's Day weekend and well, I hope you get the picture.  I sat next to 40 year + season ticket holders who had been to 14 bowl games in their lifetime, including 7 Rose Bowls.  Me having attended about 10 Final Fives and 3 Frozen Fours pales in comparison. 

Just my two cents...

I'm on the couch!

I understand these are big time events, and I'm not suggesting the Final Five is a bigger event.

But yes, honestly, if you gave me a choice of tickets to the Rose Bowl or the Final Five, I'd take the Final Five.

I'm on the couch!

I understand these are big time events, and I'm not suggesting the Final Five is a bigger event. 

But yes, honestly, if you gave me a choice of tickets to the Rose Bowl or the Final Five, I'd take the Final Five.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ditto, hands down :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And, given the choice, I'd be sitting next to you. thumbup_wink.gif

I'd pick the Final Five as well. Good playoff college hockey is better than football in my book.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'll buy the beer if you save me a seat at the FF.

I would, however, love to see a football game at Notre Dame, the Big House, Camp Randall, the Horseshoe, etc. Anything besides the %$*@$^ Metrodome.

I'll buy the beer if you save me a seat at the FF.

I would, however, love to see a football game at Notre Dame, the Big House, Camp Randall, the Horseshoe, etc. Anything besides the %$*@$^ Metrodome.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

IMO the Big House vs OSU would be the best. I've seen games at Neb, Wisco, and Fla and my fav was Fla, but I'm a huge Gator fan. Neb is awesome because of all the fans and everyone just loves the Huskers and Wisco is great because of the students and the bars afterward. The atmosphere at these games is like UM-UND times x 5. Although I still love making that seeries any chance I can!

Given a choice of any sporting event I could go to it would prob. be the Masters though!

IMO the Big House vs OSU would be the best. I've seen games at Neb, Wisco, and Fla and my fav was Fla, but I'm a huge Gator fan. Neb is awesome because of all the fans and everyone just loves the Huskers and Wisco is great because of the students and the bars afterward. The atmosphere at these games is like UM-UND times x 5. Although I still love making that seeries any chance I can!

Given a choice of any sporting event I could go to it would prob. be the Masters though!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

From Sioux hockey to Michigan Stadium to the Masters? You have de-railed. Watching GOLF? Tie me to a street pole out in front of Mariucci and paint me maroon and gold first. Ugh.

Dagies, Sioux-cia, and PCM sitting on the same couch together? Well, not that there's anything wrong with that... :lol:

On another note, aren't Ratt and Poison coming to the Xcel Energy Center soon?

From Sioux hockey to Michigan Stadium to the Masters? You have de-railed. Watching GOLF? Tie me to a street pole out in front of Mariucci and paint me maroon and gold first. Ugh.

Dagies, Sioux-cia, and PCM sitting on the same couch together? Well, not that there's anything wrong with that... :lol:

On another note, aren't Ratt and Poison coming to the Xcel Energy Center soon?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No. St. Paul Civic Center my man. Saw Living Colour and Billy Squire there last week . . .

No. St. Paul Civic Center my man. Saw Living Colour and Billy Squire there last week . . .

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry, I musta missed it. I was at the Metrodome last night watching the Twins play. I think those youngsters they have like Kent Hrbek, Tom Brunansky, Gary Gaetti, and Frank Viola just might make them a contender someday.

Sorry, I musta missed it. I was at the Metrodome last night watching the Twins play. I think those youngsters they have like Kent Hrbek, Tom Brunansky, Gary Gaetti, and Frank Viola just might make them a contender someday.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey, did you here the news?!!! The Vikes traded for Hershall Walker! They gave up some draft picks, but man, I smell Super Bowl baby! ???