SiouxSports.com Forum

JUST GOT HOME..F 4 THOUGHTS

AZSIOUX

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cross-referencing my recap (posted above) with others':

I was at the UND reception before Saturday's game, then the Holiday Inn tent; ran into MafiaMan's friend, but no Cratter or Forecheck.

I was in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame on Friday afternoon from about 2 until close, saw a couple Sioux fans (AZSIOUX?)

Re: my mentioning Sioux fans hanging at the Platinum Fox, I only heard about it before Saturday's game (again, Holiday Inn tent), but it didn't seem to be open when we went by that night (besides which, I figured most Sioux fans left right after the game).

I also spent a fair amount of time at Varsity Club before, between, and after games on Thursday; at outdoor tent (not Holiday Inn) before and after Sioux game on Thursday; the BW-3 by Danny's Platinum Fox to close out each night. Sorry I didn't run into more of you!

yes you must have ran by me. i also noticed a few sioux fans..i was just wearing a black sioux t-shirt and was with my uncle, grandpa and 2 friends..was also at BW-3, 3 out of the 4 nights i was in columbus..must have seen you there as well..to bad it would have been nice to meet you...

Cross-referencing my recap (posted above) with others':

I was at the UND reception before Saturday's game, then the Holiday Inn tent; ran into MafiaMan's friend, but no Cratter or Forecheck.

I was in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame on Friday afternoon from about 2 until close, saw a couple Sioux fans (AZSIOUX?)

Re: my mentioning Sioux fans hanging at the Platinum Fox, I only heard about it before Saturday's game (again, Holiday Inn tent), but it didn't seem to be open when I went by that night (besides which, I figured most Sioux fans left right after the game).

I also spent a fair amount of time at Varsity Club before, between, and after games on Thursday; at outdoor tent (not Holiday Inn) before and after Sioux game on Thursday; the BW-3 by Danny's Platinum Fox to close out each night.

yes you must have ran by me. i also noticed a few sioux fans..i was just wearing a black sioux t-shirt and was with my uncle, grandpa and 2 friends..was also at BW-3, 3 out of the 4 nights i was in columbus..must have seen you there as well..to bad it would have been nice to meet you...

Hmmm... if you were at BW-3 on Saturday, there was only group that could have been you. At the first big round table in the bar area was a group that adequately seemed to cross generations (I particularly remember the older gentleman with white hair and I believe a beard and mustahce). If that was you, I was at the very next table. Otherwise, you were definitely there on Thursday when the crowd kept singing and starting cheers. Then Wednesday (karaoke night!) I was at the round table nearest the stage.

yes, i was next to the guy who looked like kenny rogers...that was us...i am 24 so i was one of the younger ones at the table...funny...

Hmmm... if you were at BW-3 on Saturday, there was only group that could have been you. At the first big round table in the bar area was a group that adequately seemed to cross generations (I particularly remember the older gentleman with white hair and I believe a beard and mustahce). If that was you, I was at the very next table. Otherwise, you were definitely there on Thursday when the crowd kept singing and starting cheers. Then Wednesday (karaoke night!) I was at the round table nearest the stage.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In today's Dakota Student, there was a perspective of Columbus experience that should become required reading for all fans, alumni and students alike, and remembered for next year:

Let's hear it for the Sioux hockey fans

By Shawna Widdel

April 11, 2005

I've never been a sports fan, and my school pride isn't something to brag about.  But this weekend I traveled to the Frozen Four and was surprised to find my school spirit elevated by the Fighting Sioux fans around me.  Slowly, between Thursday morning when I arrived and Sunday morning when I left, I became a Sioux fan.

... as a photographer for the Dakota Student. Initially I was more excited to see the media room and meet photographers from Sports Illustrated than I was to watch the hockey game. ...

(But) cheesy as it sounds, every time the whole crowd joined in to sing, "Hey, go Sioux," I got goosebumps because of the overwhelming sound. I've never had so much pride in my school. ...There was no distinction between student and alumni. In fact, it actually brought generations together. Everyone was there to cheer for the Sioux as one unified voice. And boy, did they ever cheer.  ...

... Sioux fans should remember Columbus ... There was more camaraderie among the sports fans at the Value City arena than there ever is at the Ralph Engelstad Arena.

That's because when you cut out the all of the complaining from both sides and focus on the team and the game, anyone could become wrapped up in the atmosphere of the game. Who knows, they might become a Sioux fan for life.

Thanks for the heads-up, star2city:

By Saturday afternoon, the guy selling Frozen Four memorabilia at a downtown location said he sold out of everything UND-related. Hats, shirts, keychains. All gone. Minnesota hats were marked down though, he said. "They were $25, I've cut the price to free."

I love that quote!

Wonderful time in Columbus; grueling 19-hour bus trip home. Sioux fans are the best and came from far and wide to cheer on the team. MafiaMan, you owe me a keychain!

All over town, locals and fans from other teams came up to us and said they hope we'd win. Clearly, I think the Sioux were fan favorites.

Thanks, boys, for a great run. We'll miss you, seniors.

I totally agree. I've been up from Mpls to Grand Forks many times for Sioux games and honestly, the crowd sometimes can lull you to sleep up there. I've come to the point where I'd rather go mingle w/the die-hard Sioux fans in Houghton, St Cloud, Mankato, Mariucci, or any other road-venue. It sure would be nice if the spirit of the Frozen Four got started at new REA.

I totally agree.  I've been up from Mpls to Grand Forks many times for Sioux games and honestly, the crowd sometimes can lull you to sleep up there.  I've come to the point where I'd rather go mingle w/the die-hard Sioux fans in Houghton, St Cloud, Mankato, Mariucci, or any other road-venue.  It sure would be nice if the spirit of the Frozen Four got started at new REA.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I went to my first game at the new Ralph this year. Granted it was against Bemidji, but the crowd wasn't as firey as it used to be at the old Ralph. The new building is beautiful, but we commented on how the crowd from the 80's and 90's (myself included ??? ) was way more into the games. I miss pounding on the corner glass and rodents being thrown on the ice. . . ahhh the scorns on TV from Pat Sweeney . . . Perhaps the newness factor will wear off and things will get back to the good 'ol days.

I have said for a few years now:  "If only the fans at the Ralph could come together like road fans".  Great article.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think the same thing every year after the trip to Madison. I wish the Sioux fans would be more like the Badger fans (but smarter), and I wish all Sioux fans would treat each other the same way they do on the road. What keeps Sioux fans from being the same way at REA? They are not the minority so there is not a feeling that they must unite. Minorities unite together to try take over the majority. At least that is what social dominance theory says. ??? This is a long off season. ???

I have said for a few years now:  "If only the fans at the Ralph could come together like road fans".  Great article.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sit down and shut up, I'm entertaining clients... ???

On another note great meeting you AZSIOUX. Look forward to seeing you in Milwaukee.

I'm going to toss in my 2 cents on this issue which probably won't be popular, but here goes.

During the World Junior Championships when I was keeping stats in the press box and the crowd was going wild during the first USA-Russia game, forecheck said to me, "I wish it got this loud in here during Sioux games."

My response was: "It does."

She didn't believe me. But the truth is, I've been to Sioux games that were every bit as loud -- if not more so -- than the USA-Russia game.

I often sit next to sports reporters from other cities. On more than one occasion, I've had them say something like, "I wish we had this kind of atmosphere in our arena."

Over the past four seasons, I've lost count of the number of coaches and players from opposing teams who've commented on how difficult it is to play in the Ralph because of the home crowd. Look at UND's record at home since the new arena opened: 53-21-9.

That's not to say that the atmosphere in the new arena is as good as it was in the old one, although I attended my share of "dead atmosphere" games in the old Ralph. There's always room for improvement, and I'm convinced that the fans and Engelstad Arena can do more to take advantage of home ice.

Whatl I am saying is that the perception some people have doesn't match the reality.

All I know is that about 8 of us Sioux fans killed our livers at Frog, Bear and the Wild Boar for four straight nights. Usually a couple hundred Sioux fans went thru the doors every night. Coolest part was seeing some of the Gopher players in there Thursday night....cool as in they got beat so they were the team out boozing it up instead of the Sioux players. Met many cool Maine and Boston fans......we were surrounded by OSU fans, every other comment was something good about UND. Either the volume of noise we made, our cool colors and jerseys, the quality of play (numerous times they said they don't see that quality of play in the CCHA about all 4 WCHA teams).....even a couple of positive comments about the "home of the Sioux" at the end of the anthem. Other than damn near getting cavity searched on Sunday in the Columbus airport, a very fun trip.

Funniest line of the weekend. "It's like running into Jesus without a camera", teenage UND fan on the downtown hotel shuttle bus on Sat night after game when he realized no one had a Sharpie for an autograph and Ed Belfour and family was sitting 4 feet across from him.

I had a super time in Columbus. Thanks mom!

I didn't get to enjoy the bar scene as much as I'd have liked because my brother wasn't 21. Oh well.

Eddie was cool. The Crowne bar was cool. The dance team competition with the 8000 underage girls was not cool. I'm a teacher. I was taking this trip to get away from the shrieking.

I made an ass of myself in front of Genoway's mom (I think that's what she said). I was drunk and went to the pool. It was a kiddie pool. Might have been warm only due to the piss. Anyways, I then decided to lift dumbells while waiting for the elevator. About tipped over. Funny, but stupid.

Met some people whose daughter used to live in the same apartment complex as me here in Palmdale, CA. Met plenty of other fans who always commented on how well Sioux fans travelled.

Some of the dancers thought I was a player. :lol:

The best was sitting behind the Gershman's at the games. Happy Harry's owners for you that don't know. So here I am high fiving Hal in a bright green wig after every goal and all I can think of is how Happy that guy has made me through the years. Damn he has a lot of my money. ???

Can't wait until next year when I'll be back in Minnesota and able to travel to go to games again. What a blast.

1.  sorry for any Siuox fans that wanted to play BD out there, we never found  a place to play so I never bothered to call you about playing.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, I had a feeling you were going to duck me at the Frozen Four just like the Final Five for BeerDarts...next year, as soon as I get to the lot, it's on :lol:

Columbus was a blast. Seeing Sweeny's picture I definately remember seeing them.

Sorry I didn't get to meet any of you, but the group I was with was mostly Michigan/Ohio St. fans. You may have seen us tailgating by the Schott, we were the group with about 8 different jersies on the other side of the street across that ugly looking bridge(worst service ever).

I did get to meet a bunch of easterners (UNH/UMass fans mostly) from USCHO though and they were all pulling for the Sioux so we had quite a contingent at the arena.

I will definately be in Milwaukee next year...