SiouxSports.com Forum

Will the Gopher-Sioux rivalry become better?

Fedorov

What change, if any, do you feel will happen?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. What change, if any, do you feel will happen?

• This will make it better
    • This won't change anything
    • This will make it worse

At least to me, it was surprising how classy Sioux and Gopher fans have been since Thursday's game. To me, that will improve the rivalry because fans will be able to interact better with each other. I think it is great to talk hockey with a fan of any team. Now that it has been shown that Sioux and Gopher fans can act classy towards each other, I see it as making the rivalry more exciting. I'm sure some people will say that it really doesn't matter, and some would prefer the fans hating each other. So, make your point heard. There are still 2 1/2 hours to kill. :ohmy:

Well i have talked to some gopher fans since and alot of them are bitter.

They say stuff like they didnt play thier best game and wait till next years recruits. :ohmy:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They are only being classy now. In the highly unlikely event that we would lose today (and I am giving that about a 1 in 10,000 odds right now since we are a team of destiny right now), you can bet that Gopher post 101 - #1 on this or any other board will have the words "Sioux" and "choke" in it... but I will keep my fingers crossed on one hand, and have one finger ready to lift on the other! :D

They are only being classy now. In the highly unlikely event that we would lose today (and I am giving that about a 1 in 10,000 odds right now since we are a team of destiny right now), you can bet that Gopher post 101 - #1 on this or any other board will have the words "Sioux" and "choke" in it... but I will keep my fingers crossed on one hand, and have one finger ready to lift on the other! :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hopefully there won't be any of that, but there are always a few bad apples.

The classy generally stay classy and the classless stay classless really.

Of those Gopher posters that have come here and talked since postgame Thursday, none of them that I can remember posted anything that could be construed as flames pregame.

And for those Gopher fans who say "Wait until next year," I don't find that as classless really. It's what every prideful fan says when their season ends without a championship. The Gophers have a lot to be prideful about regarding their incoming class of freshmen, so let them be prideful.

This is our year. Who knows what next year will be like.

I don't think anyone would classify a Sioux loss in the title game as a "choke". Nor would anyone classify the Gopher oss yesterday as a "choke". That said I hope you guys cream DUmb tonight!! I'

m getting off work at 6 and rushing home to see the game!! GO SIOUX!!

The classy generally stay classy and the classless stay classless really.

Of those Gopher posters that have come here and talked since postgame Thursday, none of them that I can remember posted anything that could be construed as flames pregame.

And for those Gopher fans who say "Wait until next year," I don't find that as classless really.  It's what every prideful fan says when their season ends without a championship.  The Gophers have a lot to be prideful about regarding their incoming class of freshmen, so let them be prideful.

This is our year.  Who knows what next year will be like.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I could not agree more. I can only control my behavior and it's all I worry about.

Gotta go, commercials over....great game! I don't really care who wins I'm just glad it's extremely well played so far. :ohmy:

A tough loss to take in the title game to Denver. It doesn't change the fact that the season was an overall success for UND. They had their problems scoring goals for awhile but that problem was solved. The future looks bright for UND with Zajac, Spirko, and the host of great recruits coming in next year. Like someone else said this team will have more Frozen Four opportunities in the next few years.

Keep your heads up and lets fast forward to October and get this thing rolling again.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I for one will not say they choked. How can a team choke when they were not even picked to be there. The UND hockey team should be proud of what they did and build on that for next year.

hey goon, shouldn't you be going to play some golf! ???:D:p???

BTW, I was told (I was in OH and computerless at the time) that there was some pretty classy behavior over on the GPL board from some Sioux fans....all this warmth...what is happening...pretty soon we'll have cats and dogs sleeping together! :p

WPoS

This past week has been unprecendented (at least in my experience on internet message boards going back several years) in the relationships between Sioux and Gopher fans.

I would have to say it's been rather nice, because while I appreciate spirited discussions and some arguments, I generally disdain the woofing and smack talk.

I do think it hurts the rivalry though. If everyone has mutual respect it doesn't hurt so bad to lose! ??????

I do think it hurts the rivalry though.  If everyone has mutual respect it doesn't hurt so bad to lose!  ???  ???

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Trust me it hurts plenty to lose.

It will always hurt more when you expect to win and come up short. I for one will not miss many of the players the Sioux are graduating. They basically came in as freshmen and got worked by my team, only to have completely reversed the score by the time they were seniors. That is a sign of a nice group of players.

I don't know if really great rivals are ever completely rational. You should have seen the reactions when I told OSU fans that the only national level program in the CCHA right now was Michigan.

Does anybody have the clip of Smaby hitting Irman? I want to see that again, and again, and again...

The rivalry is probably the best in college hockey, I've personally had a hatred for the Gophers since Neal Broten scored that goal in the National Championship against us in 1979. I'm sure people out east might think differently, but IMO the rivalry with the Gophers is something that has grown through the years into the most intense rivalry in all of college hockey. I know after watching the Gophers beat Cornell in the Regional Final, the matchup between us & them was all I could think about for 11 days. Thank God we won that game, kind of eases the pain of the National Championship loss. As much as I hate the Gophers, I was cheering for Neal Broten in February 1980.