SiouxSports.com Forum

Hockey East gets a West whuppin'

Fighting Sioux #1

WOW....somebody out East actually admitting they got it handed to them!!

"As for BU, it also didn't look like it belonged on the same ice as the Fighting Sioux. "

"(BC) struggled to get past Mercyhurst, then laid a big-time egg against North Dakota."

"Whatever the reason, the West is winning. The WCHA currently rules college hockey, while Hockey East is in the backseat."

Hockey East gets a West whuppin' - Boston Herald - ARTICLE HERE

And here I was thinking a few months ago that the WCHA was in kind of a down year relative to a few past years.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You never know what is going on with the WCHA because the refs try to keep the lower teams in each game. The non-conference play is where you can see the dominance.

I haven't paid as much attention this year as in last, been out of the country much of the time. HOWEVER, I did spend my weekend at home glued to my DTV coverage of all the games. WOW! What a weekend for the WCHA.

I had quietly hoped to see this happen. Then, I shocked myself by yelling and screaming for those eeeveeel hated rodents to win so the WCHA would have all four slots in the frozen four. Especially after hearing the comments on the ESPU channel about the Hockey East teams and how they "dominated" in the past. What past? A few measly years. Who cares! Look at the big picture and tell me who has vastly dominated the NCAA tournament in the past 60 years...WCHA baaaby!!

Now, I'm quietly contemplating the outcome of the Frozen Four. I wish it would start tomorrow so the Sioux could keep the momentum. I still think with two weeks off they have as good of a shot as any team there. Of course, I'll wildly cheer the Sioux. However, no matter what happens, I'm already oddly content with the four teams representing from the GREATEST college hockey conference EVER! :angry:

"One of the arguments that we've always made is that the depth of our league probably distinguishes us more than the strength of the top two or three teams. Every year that I've been in the league, our eighth- or ninth-place team has gotten points against our first- and second-place teams quite regularly. Looking at it that way, I don't think we take a back seat to anybody."

An interesting quote in the article from Hockey East commissioner Bertagna. I'm pretty sure anyone looking at the regular season of the WCHA could say the same thing. UAA stole points from basically everyone, and Michigan Tech swept the gophers in MN. So I would say we have an equal amount of depth IN ADDITION to having more strength in our top two or three teams.

"Perhaps fittingly, the tournament exodus began with a shutout, BU at the hands of North Dakota, 4-0. The game was far closer than the score would indicate but a loss is a loss is a loss. "

I can understand if the game had been 4-3 and UND got an empty net goal or two at the end to make it 6-3, but how can you call a 4-0 shutout close? It would have made more sense if he said that BU played better than the score showed, but not closer.

I can understand if the game had been 4-3 and UND got an empty net goal or two at the end to make it 6-3, but how can you call a 4-0 shutout close? It would have made more sense if he said that BU played better than the score showed, but not closer.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, I saw that and wondered the same thing. I'd hate to see what it would take for Dave Hendrickson to call it a decisive win. :angry:

What will the ESPN announcers talk about with no BC in the tourney. Assume that maybe Thorne and Clement will be doing the games? That would beat the pickup crew they've had in the past. But at least it's on a national TV station.

"Is it just me or am I hearing you say Mottau in every other sentence."

What will the ESPN announcers talk about with no BC in the tourney. Assume that maybe Thorne and Clement will be doing the games? That would beat the pickup crew they've had in the past. But at least it's on a national TV station.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm thinking we'll get quite a bit of talk from them since they were just our announcers.

As to Hockey LEast getting a whuppin:

I saw something during the BU game that I have never, in over 30 years of watching hockey, witnessed.

The Red Pepper line had the puck in the corner and started cycling it, essentially from the corner to the blue line and back. The Sioux were already up 3 or 4 zip, so I don't think they felt a lot of pressure to score. Anyway........

This cycling went on for well over a minute. Clement and Thorne even made comment about it. Then the Sioux started cycling a skater out of the "scrum" and actually made a complete line change, one player at a time, WITHOUT LOSING CONTROL OF THE PUCK! (Sorry for shouting).

I think Clement said he too, had never seen such a thing.

This adds nothing to the discussion, other than to illustrate the depth of the butt-thumping handed to Hockey LEast last weekend by the Boys in Green.

And now back to our regularly-scheduled posting.

The Sioux have been good at cycling the puck all season long. Scoring off the cycle, until lately, has been another thing. But it is nice to see the guys getting some national recognition for their cycling ability, which will pay off big in the next two games. thumbup_wink.gif

But it is nice to see the guys getting some national recognition for their cycling ability, which will pay off big in the next two games. thumbup_wink.gif

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They could have received national attention earlier if the sudo reporter would have written about it. :)

They could have received national attention earlier if the sudo reporter would have written about it.  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey, I pitched the idea to USCHO. They just wouldn't go for a story headlined "Those Sioux sure can cycle!" :):)