SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Head Coaches

Zypher

So I have a question and wanted to see what others thought Going back to Barry Thorndycraft 1959-1964, UND has a history of promoting their assistants to Head Coach, with the exception of Rube Bjorkman. On average over the last 56 years, for the most part, our Head Coaches have been with the team about 10 years. Also, going back to Bob May in 1957, with the exception of Rube Bjorkman (198) and Dean Blais (1994), all of our Head Coaches have been UND Alumni.

Rube Bjorkman 39yo/49yo (from New Hampshire) 1968-78 10 seasons

Gino 33yo/49yo (Assistant Coach to Rube Bjorkman) 1978-94 16 seasons

Dean Blais 43yo/53yo (Assistant Coach to Gino 1980–1989)   1994-04 10 seasons

Dave Hakstol 36yo/47yo (Assistant Coach to Dean Blais) 2004-15 11 seasons

Brad Berry 50yo/currently 59yo (Assistant Coach to Dave Hakstol) 2015-present 9 seasons

That being said, Coach Berry will be headed into his 10th season next year, at the young age of 59. With that, I have a few questions on other peoples thoughts.

1)       How many more seasons do you see Berry staying with the team?

2)       Who do you think will be, or should be taking over when that time comes?

3)       If it is a current Assistant that takes over, who do you see being promoted or brought in, to fill the new Assistant Coach, in order to groom them to potentially take over in time?

Unless he gets offered with an NHL job (either head or assistant), I think Berry will coach through UND hosting the Frozen Four in 2026.  As the next HC, Dane Jackson has been with the staff a very long time.  I assume he would have the best chance, but I also don't think there's be any regrets hiring Karl Goehring.

Please understand, in no way am i hoping Brad retires, in a way, I wish College Hockey Coaches were more like College Football and Basketball Coaches, going strong until they were 70. I only ask since the belief in regards to players is "next man up" do i wonder who the "next coach up" would be.

1 minute ago, omahasioux1 said:

Bjorkman was bad, went to school with his kids.

Truly the dark ages of North Dakota Hockey.

Can't imagine the depths of depravity had there been a ss.com forums back then.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, omahasioux1 said:

Bjorkman was bad, went to school with his kids.

3 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Truly the dark ages of North Dakota Hockey.

Can't imagine the depths of depravity had there been a ss.com forums back then.

I thought that he had destroyed the UND hockey program. Thank Parise for Gino.

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, Zypher said:

So I have a question and wanted to see what others thought Going back to Barry Thorndycraft 1959-1964, UND has a history of promoting their assistants to Head Coach, with the exception of Rube Bjorkman. On average over the last 56 years, for the most part, our Head Coaches have been with the team about 10 years. Also, going back to Bob May in 1957, with the exception of Rube Bjorkman (198) and Dean Blais (1994), all of our Head Coaches have been UND Alumni.

Rube Bjorkman 39yo/49yo (from New Hampshire) 1968-78 10 seasons

Gino 33yo/49yo (Assistant Coach to Rube Bjorkman) 1978-94 16 seasons

Dean Blais 43yo/53yo (Assistant Coach to Gino 1980–1989)   1994-04 10 seasons

Dave Hakstol 36yo/47yo (Assistant Coach to Dean Blais) 2004-15 11 seasons

Brad Berry 50yo/currently 59yo (Assistant Coach to Dave Hakstol) 2015-present 9 seasons

That being said, Coach Berry will be headed into his 10th season next year, at the young age of 59. With that, I have a few questions on other peoples thoughts.

1)       How many more seasons do you see Berry staying with the team?

2)       Who do you think will be, or should be taking over when that time comes?

3)       If it is a current Assistant that takes over, who do you see being promoted or brought in, to fill the new Assistant Coach, in order to groom them to potentially take over in time?

Berry had his shot in the AHL and NHL and it didn't work out for him. I can't imagine an organization reaching out to Berry to be an NHL/AHL coach at this stage in his life. The professional game is getting younger.

21 hours ago, dustnyou said:

Actually it did work for out for Berry in the NHL. He chose to leave the show on his own to return to UND and live in Grand Forks where his family was located. Young children in the house, etc. He made a good choice. He could’ve easily stayed in the NHL as an assistant. 

Where did I say he failed at it or anything? It just didn't work out for him and at his current age he isn't going to be at the top of anyone's list to hire since he has it pretty darn good at UND.

4 hours ago, siouxkid12 said:

Where did I say he failed at it or anything? It just didn't work out for him and at his current age he isn't going to be at the top of anyone's list to hire since he has it pretty darn good at UND.

I took your “had his shot and it didn’t work out “ comment wrong then. No worries. 

• Upvote 2