SiouxSports.com Forum

Minnesota Rule

BostonSiouxFan

I know in the past the so-called Minnesota rule allowed Minnesota to play the Friday night game in the Final Five since it's in the Twin Cities EVERY year.

During Saturday night's game Hennesy said he thought that rule was over, and that the winner of the play-in game would play Denver Friday night. However, I just checked USCHO, and it shows that the winner of the play-in game plays Friday at 2:30. Anyone know which it is for sure?

Incidentally, while I won't be surprised if Minnesota gets the night game, it is really a joke. Not only do the Gophers never have to travel at this time of year, but they have special provisions such as this one. The WCHA might as well just name "the U" conference champions at the start of every season, and let the other, lesser schools play for second. Really, what does a team like Denver play for all season, and what does winning the conference regular season title really mean? Maybe I think this is a bigger deal than it really is, but it gets old seeing the Gophers have every little advantage or special rule in their favor year in, year out.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not sure on the times but there are about 2 other threads discusing this matter. really getting beaten on this site...is it unfair? maybe but its all about the money in the NC$$...oh well, we will just have to watch the gophs lose in the evening rather then the aternoon.

I know in the past the so-called Minnesota rule allowed Minnesota to play the Friday night game in the Final Five since it's in the Twin Cities EVERY year.

During Saturday night's game Hennesy said he thought that rule was over, and that the winner of the play-in game would play Denver Friday night. However, I just checked USCHO, and it shows that the winner of the play-in game plays Friday at 2:30. Anyone know which it is for sure?

Incidentally, while I won't be surprised if Minnesota gets the night game, it is really a joke. Not only do the Gophers never have to travel at this time of year, but they have special provisions such as this one. The WCHA might as well just name "the U" conference champions at the start of every season, and let the other, lesser schools play for second. Really, what does a team like Denver play for all season, and what does winning the conference regular season title really mean? Maybe I think this is a bigger deal than it really is, but it gets old seeing the Gophers have every little advantage or special rule in their favor year in, year out.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wisco/ND winner vs. Denver 2:30

Goofers get the night game

Oh please... 16 hours is more than enough time to get your legs back for your second playoff game. :huh: I remember Mankato a few years ago was playing their butt off to make the NCAA, and simply ran out of gas against a tough CC team. Had they been able to have another afternoon of rest, who knows?

I really wish this rule would go away. Attendance figures and ticket sales have shown that it isn't an issue anyway... especially in the last few years. And to the credit of "the Don" and his staff... they'd like to see it gone as well. Regardless, it's something we're stuck with for the foreseeable future. :lol:

Although no fans like it(except maybe some goph fans), it's there and everyone is stuck with it. Avoid it by finishing top 3, if you get there as a 4 or 5 seed, be happy you're there, and look forward to the NCAA's.

If you dont like it email the WCHA. Dont blame the Gophers. It is the most centralized Arena in the WCHA. Yes it is all about the $$ for the WCHA also. Do you think the crowds would be as big as they would of they played the Final 5 at the Pepsi Center in CO? I dont think they would. Yes the Gophers have the crowd as a advantage, but the ice surface is a little Different.

Anywho, for the Sioux fans that are going to he X, please join the tailgaters in the Magic Shop parking lot on W 7th st both Friday and Sat. See ya there

Although no fans like it(except maybe some goph fans), it's there and everyone is stuck with it. Avoid it by finishing top 3, if you get there as a 4 or 5 seed, be happy you're there, and look forward to the NCAA's.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wasn't ND the #1 seed last year and still played the Friday afternoon game?

Wasn't ND the #1 seed last year and still played the Friday afternoon game?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No matter the seeding if the Gophers make the semifinals then they play in the late game. Last year the gophs were the 3 seed and played UMD in the late game. I think that most tickets for the final 5 are presold so $$ shouldn't be driving this anymore. I don't think crying about it every year is going to change anything.

Let's worry about beating wisconsin on thursday.

No matter the seeding if the Gophers make the semifinals then they play in the late game. Last year the gophs were the 3 seed and played UMD in the late game. I think that most tickets for the final 5 are presold so $$ shouldn't be driving this anymore. I don't think crying about it every year is going to change anything.

Let's worry about beating wisconsin on thursday.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

good point

Avoid it by finishing top 3, if you get there as a 4 or 5 seed, be happy you're there, and look forward to the NCAA's.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, if the Rodents enter the Final Five as a #1, #4 or #5 seed they would schedule the #2/#3 game for Friday afternoon, which is where it should automatically be anyway.

One thing that has been overlooked, the prestige of the #1 seed playing in primetime. We all know what a great recruiting tool national TV exposure can be, especially when the sport in question has minimal exposure to start with. Teams work their a$$ off to earn the MacNaughton and are rewarded with a Friday afternoon game that, until this year, was never even televised.

I realize we continue to beat a dead horse on this issue, but Wreckincrew hit the nail on the head yet again. I've mentioned it before several times as well. While the #1 seed UND was playing Alaska-Anchorage at 2:05 pm last year at the Final Five, local high school kids (and potential Sioux recruits) were busy at school. When they got home, they turned on FSN to see the hometown Gophers play. Now tell me that doesn't sway a few kids to come to the almight U of M? Of course it does. It isn't all about attendance.

Interestingly enough, Minnesota's pride on ice barely fills the lower bowl if the Gophers are in the 3rd place game on Saturday, which has happened at least once in the past few years. Fair weather?

Now before WPoS and Greyeagle go ballistic, Tim Hennesey calling it the "Minnesota Rule" really isn't fair. It only seems that way because the tournament has been held in Minnesota every year since dirt (or so it seems) with the exception of 1998 when it was held at the Bradley Center. Wisconsin was the #2 seed that year and allowed to play their semi-final in the evening while North Dakota played the 2:05 pm game. It hasn't just been applicable to Minnesota, it just seems that way.

Interestingly enough, Minnesota's pride on ice barely fills the lower bowl if the Gophers are in the 3rd place game on Saturday, which has happened at least once in the past few years.  Fair weather?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is that similar to Engelstad this past Friday when the building was 83 percent full for a home playoff game against a rival?

I realize we continue to beat a dead horse on this issue, but Wreckincrew hit the nail on the head yet again.  I've mentioned it before several times as well.  While the #1 seed UND was playing Alaska-Anchorage at 2:05 pm last year at the Final Five, local high school kids (and potential Sioux recruits) were busy at school.  When they got home, they turned on FSN to see the hometown Gophers play.  Now tell me that doesn't sway a few kids to come to the almight U of M?  Of course it does.  It isn't all about attendance.

Interestingly enough, Minnesota's pride on ice barely fills the lower bowl if the Gophers are in the 3rd place game on Saturday, which has happened at least once in the past few years.  Fair weather?

Now before WPoS and Greyeagle go ballistic, Tim Hennesey calling it the "Minnesota Rule" really isn't fair.  It only seems that way because the tournament has been held in Minnesota every year since dirt (or so it seems) with the exception of 1998 when it was held at the Bradley Center.  Wisconsin was the #2 seed that year and allowed to play their semi-final in the evening while North Dakota played the 2:05 pm game.  It hasn't just been applicable to Minnesota, it just seems that way.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i'm almost surprised that if the gophers happen to lose the friday night game, that they don't move the championship up to 2pm and let the gophers play the third place game at 7 on saturday night too

Anywho, for the Sioux fans that are going to he X, please join the tailgaters in the Magic Shop parking lot on W 7th st both Friday and Sat.  See ya there

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Where exactly is that at? And are the rules the same as the Gopher one no relieving self in the alley? :lol::huh:

Haskstol told Tim this morning on Tim and Swyg's show that the rule is still in effect.  Tim talked about how he thought the rule was done with, but Hak corrected him.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sounds like a Gopher left wing extremist conspiracy. It might be time to write the WCHA and complain about the conspiracy and the horrible officating that the Sioux have been getting.

I never go ballistic. :lol:

Some history:

1988-1993, 1995, 1997 - St. Paul CC

1994-1996-1998 - Bradley Center, Milwaukee

1999-2000 - Target Center, Mpls.

2001-2003 - Xcel Energy Center, St. Paul - I don't have last year's numbers.

Average attendance at the BC was 12K, 9K, & 7K.

Approximate attendance at the CC was between 11-12K. At the TC it was 8 & 9K and at the X attendance jumped to 13K, 14K, & 15K.

Edit - I've always said give Denver a chance to host, I'd love to see how it would do and what a great week it could be...ski for 3-4 days and watch hockey for 3 days.

Greyeagle,

Thanks for the stats. Nice work! Now just out of curiosity, can you tell me what the finishes were of the Gophers/Badgers the years the tournaments were in the local cities. Obviously that has an impact. I will say this about Bucky fans...they do support their team, but a Final Five in Milwaukee without them would be a disaster attendance-wise.

I agree, although I won't be attending. Given the quality of hockey CC has put on for a number of years now and Denver's recent success, those two schools deserve a WCHA Final Five in their backyard.