SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux at St. Cloud 11/08

PCM

While I certainly understand Blais' frustration with the officiating, let's face it: The Sioux have lousy goaltending right now. Keeping the opposition's shots on goal low means little when they can score on a high percentage of those that they get.

It was the difference against St. Cloud tonight. Moreland came up big when the Sioux had good chances. Siembida rarely came up big and gave up a couple of soft ones. That's not going to cut it it the WCHA.

Let's also hope that other WCHA teams aren't as effective at shutting down Parise's line as the Huskies were tonight. If they don't net a few Saturday night, the Sioux will probably get swept.

It was encouraging to see Massen, Notermann and Schneider get goals. With Spiewak, Hale and McMahon back Saturday, the Sioux should be a better team.

The Sioux aren't as good as their ranking and the Huskies aren't as bad theirs.

No question the difference tonight was goaltending. UND did what was necessary to put shots on net. Moreland showed up, Siembida did not. The game was over at 5-3 when the Sioux team realized their backs were exposed.

This evening was a significant step back for the Sioux in goaltending, but certainly not the end of the world. Shake it off and come out flying tomorrow. They showed they can carry the play and work the puck in the offensive zone. Do that again tomorrow and those pucks will go in.

Whose in net for Saturday?

taz

This evening was a significant step back for the Sioux in goaltending, but certainly not the end of the world. Shake it off and come out flying tomorrow.

This is very true. Coming out of St. Cloud with a split wouldn't be bad at this point of the season. It will be interesting to see how much difference it makes to have the on-ice leadership of Spiewak and Ryan Hale back, not to mention Spiewak's speed on the big ice.

Last season's team usually fell apart after taking one on the chin. This will be a good opportunity to see how they respond to adversity.

(re-edited my message, sorry)

I think it does matter for the team. I was surprised at pulling Josh. I think it rattled the team, rather than rallying them. I would have rather seen him stay in and then make a couple of key saves to build confidence. You knew Brandt wasn't going to give any improvement. The team knew this and shut down.

But I honestly have no clue. Dean is the expert and I defer to his wisdom.

All things considered, if the Sioux steal a win tomorrow night this will be a successful road trip-- very happy to get 2 pts.

taz

This was my first look at the team this year, and I can tell now why people think the team looks better than last year. They do simply move the puck better up front, and the defense does not yield the zone nearly as easily as it did last year.

They made mistakes, and SC made them pay for every one of them, but they played well enough to win. After Friday night last year in SC, I felt like the team had been run over by a truck and was not nearly as good as SC. Getting pounded 7-3 bites, but I don't feel the despair that I did after last year.

Actually, I am anguished over one thing. As a hint, let me just say that the first thing I checked on the internet after the game was how Sedevie did tonight for Topeka. (Topeka won 3-2 in a shootout; Sioux recruit Fabian scored 2 of Topeka's 3 goals in the shootout; Sedevie saved something like 10 of 12 shootout attempts.) It must just be killing the coaches to see that they have put together what could be a stunning team, in time, that looks to be undone by goaltending.

I would hate to have to bring in another goalie mid-season, but one of the guys currently on the roster has got to step up soon. Let's see: SOG 43-25. Score 7-3. Sounds about right ... oh, 3-7. Something's wrong here. Not that SOG is necessarily the end-all of statistics, but the Sioux definitely carried the play for at least a lot of the first two periods.

It's not like they were going to go undefeated or anything, so there's no point in overreacting to a bad loss in November. I saw a lot of things to like. Massen seems to be getting a lot more comfortable. Lundbohm and Notermann played well. Parise's line seemed quiet, and I think a lot of that was because they seemed to spend many shifts in their own zone. They just had trouble getting into the offensive zone. Connelly is faster than I remember, and Canady was a presence at times. I was hoping for more from Genoway; he seemed to really nonchalant it on a first-period power play. He obviously is taking time getting adjusted. I didn't think Marvin looked out of place at all, but Prpich didn't do much for me.

Even though there were encouraging signs, this isn't last year - there aren't moral victories. The Sioux need to get points this weekend, so they're going to have to get them tomorrow.

What did Blais have to say afterward?

What did Blais have to say afterward?

His biggest complaint was with Adam's officiating. After ripping Adam, he said that because of WCHA policy, he couldn't comment on the officiating. :D

But he was clearly upset with the penalty called on Canady while the Sioux were putting the pressure on in SCSU's end. He said that in a 3-3 game in the third period, the ref should let the players play. He took a bench minor after throwing a stick out on to the ice to protest Adam's call, which he admitted wasn't very smart.

Blais was obviously upset with the goaltending. He said there were a few defensive breakdowns and a few shots that Siembida couldn't have stopped, but that he also gave up some soft goals. He was especially peeved about the one that put SCSU up 5-3. He pulled Siembida after that one.

Overall, he thought that with the exception of goaltending, the team played well enough to win.

Dean should maybe have skipped the interview right after the game tonight. He was clearly frustrated, and didn't provide much more insight than any fan watching the game wouldn't have offered. I don't like singling out a particular penalty call as impacting the game. Sure, it may be true, but damn, ya gotta stop the puck so penalties aren't so brutal.

The Sioux are a little snake-bit by the NHC. 3rd embarrassing loss in a row. I agree with you, jk, that this year they just look better. More offensive movement, scoring potential. It just didn't happen this evening.

Wow. How spoiled we were with the great Karl Goehring.

taz

7 goals on 25 shots vs. 3 goals on 43 shots. Not difficult to see the problem; need to make the routine saves as well as a few big saves each game, or you don't win in the WCHA. It's been tough listening to streaming audio; kind of expect every opponent shot to go in. :D Might be tougher watching.

Did sound like the Sioux had the puck a lot of the time (although not as much as the NC games). Lots of momentum ending penalties though.

Noticed that Adam and Schmitt (MN/Kato) called lots of penalties while Mason (CC/UAA) and Sheppard (MDU/Denver) called few. At any rate, with the new emphasis on obstruction penalties, may be a year that sees very little 5 on 5.

The Sioux are a little snake-bit by the NHC. 3rd embarrassing loss in a row. I agree with you, jk, that this year they just look better. More offensive movement, scoring potential. It just didn't happen this evening.

Taz, I am going to make a prediction, for Blais-UND. There is going to be some retribution for for the last three games at the Concrete Center, just a hunch. If I were the coach at UND when (its going to happen) we get up on SCSU, and we will leave the top power play line in and run up the score, like they have done the last couple of games. I think Craig Dahl is a joke. When your up by a lot you don't put your top power play line in. Also Dahl is not fit to carry Dean's Jock Strap... I hate losing to a $#it like SCCC.

This is a set back for UND, sure the Goal Tending is brutal how can you blame the boys. Next season I would recruit a couple of Goalies out of fear. I would also send one of the young goalies packing, I am sick of their performance, they havn't played one good game all season. Want to see what a good goalie does see Jensens performance from last night.

I am sick of this horrible goal tending. Josh is a bust and Brandt is a head case. I would also bring in Lane if he continues to play decent at the half way point, I can't hurt. I am sick of Josh's and Brant lack a dazial attitude. I see UND going further than SCSU this season. We may even win tonight. We are a first rate organization I have a hard time believing we can't get a good goalie. Unexceptable...

Noticed that Adam and Schmitt (MN/Kato) called lots of penalties while Mason (CC/UAA) and Sheppard (MDU/Denver) called few. At any rate, with the new emphasis on obstruction penalties, may be a year that sees very little 5 on 5.

It your typical Don Adam Game, call a lot of Penalties against UND and let the opposition get a bunch of Penatlies to put the game away.

Hennesy said that Adam let a lot of the Obstruction go....

I think Don Adam has something personal for the Blaiser and that is wrong...

He really did this?  Seems out of character for Blais, at least IMO.

Seems more Woog like to me. :D  :0

Blais did that in a playoff game at home a couple of years back. He banged a stick on the boards and got a penalty. He I like that fact that the coach shows some emotion...

Ah Woog would gotten into a argument with the Fans and had a drink poured on his head. Woog would have put $500.00 in a hat. opps...

PCM, I agree the Goal Tending Sucks.

I think most of us were concerned about goaltending and this game proves us correct. However, hockey's a team sport and apparently the rest of the guys weren't doing their job in keeping the puck away. That said, we have a serious weakness in not having consistent goaltending. Not sure if it's time to bring in another minder, but this is an area that cannot be ignored or downplayed by an emphasis on Parise, Bochenski et al. or big d-men. :D

This is a serious gut check for the team. They really need to bear down and play a tough, focused game tonight to come away with the split. Not an easy task, but I think we can still get two.

Here is a letter a buddy sent me.

I guess Josh didn't play too bad...

However, evertime I hear there is a break away, I bet the score board operator is already getting ready to put up another goal. Its brutal... If I was one of the leaders I would take the young goalies off to the side and tell them to suck it up and start playing. I Blais gets some more goalies next season. I think if Josh or Jake doesn't improve they should be sent down the river. Sorry I think it has to be done... Goalies should be expected to have a .900 save percentage to be a starting goalie in the WCHA. Right now they are not...

Hey Goon,

What a treat tonight! The North Dakota at St.Cloud game was on TV in Bemidji. Channel 45 out of the Cities. Despite what you might read in the papers, your young goaltender Siembida didn't play that bad. Your defense let you down early in the third. St. Cloud got a couple of quality scoring chances because our "D" got caught and hung your goalie out to dry! It was tied to start the third.

Maybe I'm alone on this, but I get tired of people saying this or that Sioux goalie didn't play that bad. The excuse is always about some bad break, lucky bounce or the defense leaving the 'tender out to dry.

Well, guess what? Every college goalie faces those situations. What sets the good goalies apart from the average or poor goalies is their ability to make saves in tough spots and their ability to limit soft goals. Look what Moreland did for SCSU last night. Look what Jensen did for Mankato.

But if the Sioux goalies give up a couple of softies each game and the opposition scores on a high percentage of its good opportunities, UND better prepared to score one hell of a lot of goals because that's what it will take to win.

Ziegelmann, a Grand Forks kid, has not yet commited to a college and has a very solid 7-1 record with an average of .933 going for Lincoln in the USHL this season. Perhaps Blais can land this kid?

Sedevie has come on strong in the last few games. That's encouraging, especially because neither he nor Lamoureux had good starts in the first 8 games or so. Sedevie is currently 4-3 in 10 games played so far and has only an .892 average. At Lincoln, Lamoureux is having similar luck with a 4-3 record and an .895 average. In the WCHA, these guys would struggle. Of course, Lamoureux is still very young and would not play until '04-05 anyway.

Right now, I'd have to say the goaltending UND has lined-up is no better than the goaltending we've already got. Not that UND needs to panic just because of 1 weak performance in a road game, but I hope Blais can land a real blue-chipper for next season in goal. If Brandt or Siembida can improve, great. If not, they'll have to be replaced for next season.

Well, guess what? Every college goalie faces those situations. What sets the good goalies apart from the average or poor goalies is their ability to make saves in tough spots and their ability to limit soft goals. Look what Moreland did for SCSU last night. Look what Jensen did for Mankato.

But if the Sioux goalies give up a couple of softies each game and the opposition scores on a high percentage of its good opportunities, UND better prepared to score one hell of a lot of goals because that's what it will take to win.

PCM is right.

Here are the numbers.

10/12/02 Michigan 4 15 63:27 W

10/26/02 Niagara 0 4 19:04 N

11/01/02 @ Princeton 2 20 60:00 W

11/02/02 @ Yale 3 26 60:00 W

11/08/02 @ St. Cloud State 5 13 43:31 L

TOTALS Goales 14 Shots 78 246:02 3-1-0

Transulates to a .820 save percentage... Boy that is really good.

Here is Jakes Impressive Numbers.

10/11/02 Canisius 0 18 60:00 W

10/25/02 Niagara 4 10 60:00 W

10/26/02 Niagara 3 9 40:56 W

11/08/02 @ St. Cloud State 2 5 16:29 N

TOTALS Goals 9 Shots 42 177:25 3-0-0

That Translates to a .785 save percentage.

Yep that is not very impressive. Your right the goal tending sucks.

There is no more hey they are young, and they need to be given a chance, they have been give a chance.

Here is I what I think Blaiser needs to do. Next season, cut one or if not both of these goalies. Starting next season. First off I would Cut Sofie (dead weight) and then make a decision on Brandt or Sievbedia or both. Have a competition, like the pros the ones that can make the team get to stay and the other get cut. These two goalies don't deserve scholarships. Bring In Lane at the half way point if it doesn' t get any better. He can't be any worse. Then recruit one or two more tenders and see if we can't get someone that can makes save at at least a 900 save percenatge. Like I said before UND is a top program in hockey we should be able to find a good goalie and its not asking too much to expect our team to have a good goalie...

Here are the nations leaders.

1 Yann Danis, Jr, BN 2 1.000

2 Mike Brown, So, FSU 9 .959

3 Jim Howard, Fr, ME 4 .949 <A Freshman>

Bobby Goepfert, Fr, PC 3 .949 <A Freshman>

5 Matt Migliaccio, So, MSU 6 .935 <A Sophmore>

Jamie VandeSpyker, Sr, FIND 5 .935

7 Mike Walsh, Sr, CKN 3 .933

Dave LeNeveu, So, COR 2 .933

Jake Moreland, Sr, SCSU 4 .933

10 Jason Jensen, Jr, MANK 5 .930

There is no reason we should not have a goalie in those stats...

PCM is right UND is going to have to score goals at a rate to 7-8 goals a game to win. If the want to win...

It is a bit crabby around here. Hard to get up given the team played well but get beat again by soft goal tending, a reoccuring theme around here for the last year.

Nice start by MDU, although even Dubie gave up 3 in the Denver loss last night (on 28 shots, a bit better than the percentages here). Reichmuth (sp?), only 2 goals and 41 saves for MDU. Scott has them playing early, nobody gets an easy weekend playing Duluth. MDU special teams scores all 3, 2 PPG and 1 SHG.

Hard to take since goaltending through the years has not been a problem when the Sioux get a good team together. Iwabucci, Jenson, Casey, Belfour, Schweitzer, and Goehring. Where have all the good goaltenders gone?

Remember back in the 80's Minnesota always had good teams but almost always got dinged by goal tending. Seems the Sioux are taking over that role (not that I think Minnie's goal tending is any better this year).

With CC getting off to such a good start (as opposed to last year), I think they are the favorite right now to be the WCHA's best team this year.

Hope something happens with the Sioux goalies that put the Sioux up near the top by March, but things don't look good right now. Hope we don't have more to bitch about in a few hours :D

The rodents won the national championship with a goalie every Sioux fan loved, why, because he s***ed. Yet everyone is ready to jump on the goaltenders and blame them for the first loss of the season. The Sioux had four starters out, played basically three lines and are coming off their worst season in years. Goaltending is important, but there are five other guys out there on every shift, barring penalties which seem to be all the rage this year. If your goaltender is having some trouble, the team needs to suck it up and help out above and beyond. Not stand back after the game and blame it on the bad save percentage.

Goon, here are a few more Santa Lucia-like facts for you. Until Saturday's game, the Huskies had beaten the Sioux 7-3, 8-4, 6-1 and 6-5. Considering that SCSU managed to let a five goal lead get away from them against Makato two weeks ago, I don't see how you can call any of these results running up the score. The Sioux have spanked the Huskies several times since Blais took over, it's just part of the game. Hockey isn't like football, where once you get up by three touchdowns you put in the backups. God knows the Sioux have comeback to win more than their share of games in the last ten years. Penalties- as far the one sided officiating; Friday night the Sioux were 0-9 on the powerplay. St.Cloud was 2-6. Saturday UND was 2-7 and SCSU was 2-6. That means the Sioux had four more powerplay opportunites than St.Cloud. UND is a very physical team this year and SCSU does do a lot of stuff that will be called for obstruction this year. The UND misconduct was for yapping, not for the stick that was thrown (seperate incident).