SiouxSports.com Forum

Matt Greene is playing well

shep

I just had to write that lest some on this board think I'm only out to flame him.

He is playing well. No stupid penalties is the key.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You are correct sir, I actually hopes he comes back next season he has definately take a leadership role and played solid.

A little off the Greene topic.

I have been listening to many of the opposing broadcasts because UND can seem to get the internet broadcast act together. Every announcer always comments on how huge UND is on D.

I find it funny that they list off the first five names and then finnally acknowledge Bina generously listed at 5'10." If I were a gambling man, I'd say 5'7" Bina is great fun to watch but is certainly an odd ball when it comes to the Sioux Defense. It makes me think back to a recent subway ad where they are playing something that sounds like a childrens song that goes: "One of these things is not like the other..."

With the Sioux defense and goaltending playing like they are I would think that 4 goals should win any game.

I really do think Greene is a great Defenseman, however, I have my doubts on his return.

Of ANY of the players not currently seniors, I think he holds the card as the Highest flight risk on the Sioux. Edmonton has been all over him during the previous off season saying everything from "he's our man" to "he could jump right to the NHL if he wants."

The problem is, and it is a problem we may benefit from, that the minors may not have enough room for him while the lockout remains. They have to sign all of the seniors from DI, whatever must signs that play currently in the major juniors and what not. Space is an issue. They may just ask him to stay here next year if there is no agreement.

IF Matt stays, then I think our drop on defense isn't going to be as drastic as it could be. No, I'm not saying that defensively we're not going to be good next season. I am saying that defensively we will be inexperienced. Having Matt Greene as the top D would really help.

As for Bina, who cares what his height is. He's playing like a 6'4 250 pounder right now. I also like how they've been trying to incorporate Bina into the offensive play. With Lee and Radke (who I still think will be a strong offensive contributor as a defenseman if he's just allowed to play), Bina could add a solid offensive dman to every defensive pairing.

I really do think Greene is a great Defenseman, however, I have my doubts on his return.

Of ANY of the players not currently seniors, I think he holds the card as the Highest flight risk on the Sioux.  Edmonton has been all over him during the previous off season saying everything from "he's our man" to "he could jump right to the NHL if he wants."

The problem is, and it is a problem we may benefit from, that the minors may not have enough room for him while the lockout remains.  They have to sign all of the seniors from DI, whatever must signs that play currently in the major juniors and what not.  Space is an issue.  They may just ask him to stay here next year if there is no agreement.

IF Matt stays, then I think our drop on defense isn't going to be as drastic as it could be.  No, I'm not saying that defensively we're not going to be good next season.  I am saying that defensively we will be inexperienced.  Having Matt Greene as the top D would really help.

As for Bina, who cares what his height is.  He's playing like a 6'4 250 pounder right now.  I also like how they've been trying to incorporate Bina into the offensive play.  With Lee and Radke (who I still think will be a strong offensive contributor as a defenseman if he's just allowed to play), Bina could add a solid offensive dman to every defensive pairing.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Bina has really become an offensive threat and has really improved his game all the way around, he definately proven you don't have to be a monster to play on UND's defense. As for Greene I want him to come back and who knows what will happen with the labor problems in the NHL. I am sure he will be gone if the NHL gets its act together.

As I recall, Curtis Murphy wasn't all that big and he seemd to do all right.. :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He had one hell of a shot from the point too. I think if he was taller he probably would have made the NHL by now.

He had one hell of a shot from the point too. I think if he was taller he probably would have made the NHL by now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

curtis murphy was almost as wide as he was tall though. he was a bleeping bowling ball. Add to that he was bull-legged (or at least skated like it) gave him some of the strongest skates you can possibly get. he wasn't that tall but he played above and beyond his height.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He was so much fun to watch. His offensive skills, combined with his solid defensive play made him one of the better all around dmen this school has ever had.

I agree with you that Matt Greene and all our defenseman are playing extremely well right now but I thought Matt Smaby was a monster this weekend. When he moves his feet like that and doesn't reach he is a great defensemen. He just needs to work on his feet for quickness and he would become much more consistent.