SiouxSports.com Forum

Final Five Tickets

NorthDakotaHockey

Got my Final Five tickets in the mail. Cain't hardly wait.

Big sheets. Nicely colored sheets of the ticket series. Game pucks of all the teams in the ticket art. Real nice. Big deal.

Also got five WCHA necklace nylons with clips, and five cheesy plastic holders, presumably for the tickets. Like I'm supposed to get a pass into the Press Room or the Penalty Box or something.

What gives with that? They cain't possibly ask people to wear them around their neck, can they?

WCHA Final Five Hockey. What a great great event. Thing is, as much as I personally hate to say, they oughta rotate it between Denver, St. Paul, Grand Forks, and Milwaukee.

When I heard that there was a souvenir included in the package, I was hoping it would be something neat like a puck or pin not just the ticket itself and plastic holder.

I wonder how many people will hold onto their women's ticket for September and not lose it or toss it out?

I'm kind of bummed though that they listed the ticket prices differently for each game because I will be selling them individually to friends all for the same price not determined by the placement of the game. This is what I have done in the past by just dividing the total by 5 and charging that price, oh well.

Should be good hockey and I can't wait again as well.

Got my Final Five tickets in the mail.  Cain't hardly wait. 

Big sheets.  Nicely colored sheets of the ticket series. Game pucks of all the teams in the ticket art.  Real nice.  Big deal.

Also got five WCHA necklace nylons with clips, and five cheesy plastic holders, presumably for the tickets.  Like I'm supposed to get a pass into the Press Room or the Penalty Box or something.

What gives with that?  They cain't possibly ask people to wear them around their neck, can they? 

WCHA Final Five Hockey.  What a great great event.  Thing is, as much as I personally hate to say, they oughta rotate it between Denver, St. Paul, Grand Forks, and Milwaukee.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree , every city you listed would be an awesome host for the Final Five, and it should be rotated....and that is nothing against MN, more to be fair to AA, Denver, CC, WI, MT, etc.

I'm curious. What sort of hockey facility do they have in Milwaukee ? Or were we thinking of Madison, the capital, and home of the Badgers ? Not so sure I would like to see the Final 5 moved away from the Xcel, other than to the Ralph of course. Makes going to it alot easier, being only 3.5 hours from Fargo, and if at the Ralph, only the 70 mile trip. But Madison and Denver, long hauls. An upside to getting it out of the Xcel, is taking away the home ice it gives the Goofers every year they're in it. And not having to sit amongst 10,000 rodent fans. And not having to hear M-I-N-N-E-S-O-T-A every freakin' time something happens on the ice. Go Sioux!!!

UND has won a couple titles in Milwaukee.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Bradley Center I believe. Near state of the art facility. Home of the NBA Bucks. Seems to me the Final Five was held there one or two years while the Civic Center was rubble and the Ex was being built. Target hosted as well.

I also would hate to see it leave the Ex for convenience purposes.

The WCHA, being all about money seeing how they hire bottom barrel referees, probably likes the Ex because of its capacity. Well, it sure would be nice if they realized that the college game is not always about money.

Some would argue that only The Ralph of these four is a campus arena, although this is not technically true.

C'mon McLeod, grow some balls.

The WCHA, being all about money seeing how they hire bottom barrel referees, probably likes the Ex because of its capacity.  Well, it sure would be nice if they realized that the college game is not always about money. 

Some would argue that only The Ralph of these four is a campus arena, although this is not technically true.

C'mon McLeod, grow some balls.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If I am not mistaken I thought I heard someone say or read some where that they signed another 5 years at EXCEL energy.

Quit whining and using the excuse that it is Gopher home ice, go buy a boatload of tix and take the place over and win a few.

WPoS

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The only issue I have with the Final Five at Xcel Energy Center is that they schedule the Rodents to play the late Friday game regardless if it's the #2/#3 or the # 1 vs #4/#5. The disadvantage to the #4/#5 winner that has to play a 1:00 p.m. game after playing the night before is a direct result of WCHA greed. It also denies the #1 seed of playing in primetime (if the Rodents are a #2/#3 seed). Like almost everything else in the world....money talks. :silly:

The only issue I have with the Final Five at Xcel Energy Center is that they schedule the Rodents to play the late Friday game regardless if it's the #2/#3 or the # 1 vs #4/#5. The disadvantage to the #4/#5 winner that has to play a 1:00 p.m. game after playing the night before is a direct result of WCHA greed. It also denies the #1 seed of playing in primetime (if the Rodents are a #2/#3 seed). Like almost everything else in the world....money talks. :silly:

Same. Fair or not, I love the FF where I can get to it from my home. So to heck with everyone else. :D The only real problem I have is the same as yours; they artificially put MN in the night game. That one doesn't seem fair. The chips should fall where they may. If gopher fans want to see their team play, they should take the afternoon off work, just like I do even though I may not even be watching my team. It's good hockey, for goodness sake!

BTW - the X is not the home of the Gophers, it's the home of the Wild.  Gophers play in another facility on the East Bank campus at the U of M.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is true.

I don't even know if the Ralph could not even host the game per NCAA rules....or the Kohl hole....

WPoS

I'm tired of the "Xcel is not home-ice for the Gophers" routine. Yes, we all know it's not technically their home ice, but it certainly gives them a home-ice-like advantage. I realize the X is NHL sized ice as opposed to Olympic size, and I realize that they don't always get last change. However, they get to sleep in their own bed, they don't have to travel, and they have the support of the vast majority of the crowd.

I understand that ticket sales are maximized by holding it at the X, and I undersand that the the league needs to make money and all the member schools benefit from the league being strong...and I'm not even advocating changing the venue, but let's at least call a spade a spade. Gopher fans certainly don't need to apoligize for it, but please refrain from the "quit whining" comments because I'm pretty sure the whining by many Gopher fans would be deafening if the wcha permanently moved the final 5 out of the twin cities.

I'm tired of the "Xcel is not home-ice for the Gophers" routine.  Yes, we all know it's not technically their home ice, but it certainly gives them a home-ice-like advantage.  I realize the X is NHL sized ice as opposed to Olympic size, and I realize that they don't always get last change.  However, they get to sleep in their own bed, they don't have to travel, and they have the support of the vast majority of the crowd. 

I understand that ticket sales are maximized by holding it at the X, and I undersand that the the league needs to make money and all the member schools benefit from the league being strong...and I'm not even advocating changing the venue, but let's at least call a spade a spade.  Gopher fans certainly don't need to apoligize for it, but please refrain from the "quit whining" comments because I'm pretty sure the whining by many Gopher fans would be deafening if the wcha permanently moved the final 5 out of the twin cities.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You bring up some valid points. You may be more right than you realize, rumor has it that the Pepsi Center in Denver (where the Avs play if you didn't know), is making a strong bid to host the Final 5 in future years. I think they award it by 5 year increments (correct me if I'm wrong)? DU and CC would be loving that, but anybody from the north would probably have to fly 3 or 4 hrs - instead of driving for 3 or 4. Personally, I'm not in favor of that b/c I'd probably quit going. But my interests are irrelevent... I wonder what people would think if they hosted it at either the Pepsi Center in CO or Joe Louis Arena in Detroit (where the Red Wings play).

It ain't ever going to Joe Lewis. Nor to Detroilet. Too far east. No league presence, what with Tech part of the U.P., and therefore probably closer to Milwaukee than to Detroilet. Detroilet is CCHA country.

As for WPoS post wondering about NCAA rules prohibiting The Ralph from hosting the games, what gives with that logic? The Ralph is no different, in ownership structure, than the Excel. The Ralph is no different that The John, home team wise. If the NCAA allows The John to regularly host regionals, why would the NCAA possibly care if The Ralph, a WCHA arena, hosted the WCHA Final Five?

Bottom line, it'll probably stay at the Ex. The rule on Gophers playing night games is ridiculous, especially given how many Gopher fans are already at home in the afternoons watching Judge Judy or waiting for their next visit to the chiropractor. Or to the job service office.

It ain't ever going to Joe Lewis.  Nor to Detroilet.  Too far east.  No league presence, what with Tech part of the U.P., and therefore probably closer to Milwaukee than to Detroilet.  Detroilet is CCHA country.

As for WPoS post wondering about NCAA rules prohibiting The Ralph from hosting the games, what gives with that logic?  The Ralph is no different, in ownership structure, than the Excel.  The Ralph is no different that The John,  home team wise.  If the NCAA allows The John to regularly host regionals, why would the NCAA possibly care if The Ralph, a WCHA arena, hosted the WCHA Final Five?

Bottom line, it'll probably stay at the Ex.  The rule on Gophers playing night games is ridiculous, especially given how many Gopher fans are already at home in the afternoons watching Judge Judy or waiting for their next visit to the chiropractor.  Or to the job service office.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

it is about NEUTRAL sites. It isn't about the regionals, it is about the final five. The Ralph is UND's HOME arena, I don't see how they could host the final five and call that nuetral. And I think the Ralph is hosting regionals next year? But I ain't gonna complain, I'm gonna get a ticket!

That all said, I agree let the games fall where they may and not give preference to the Gophs for certain games.

WPoS

It would actually be more considerate to make the Gophers automatically play in the DAY game, because then the fans from far away would have a chance to recover from their hangovers before crawling out of their hotel beds. Or, you know, to come down (or up) for the evening.

Or, you know, just make the #1/#4 game always be at night. Like it should be. God that pisses me off.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My point exactly a year ago when this same topic was being discussed. Most schools/fans are driving distance from the X. So give them a chance to drive down on Friday instead of Thursday night.

The X will still be sold out and I bet most people will still be in their seats for the night game even if the Gophers aren't in it.