SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux at Seawolves

Wreckincrew

I think this too. It actually has been staring us in the face all year, but we are required by our fan status to deny it until the very end. Losing twice to an undermanned, exhausted CC team was a big sign. Not pounding Bemidji was a big sign. Swept at home by anyone is a sign (Denver's good, but they have been beaten by MTU and UMD since Christmas). Now, not taking advantage of a depleted UAA team is another message.

I don't think it's fair to blame Hakstol at this point, though, as we have been disappointed in other recent years without similar coach-bashing. The Spring of 2003 was similar to this one, except it featured a descent from #1 in the country to not being able to beat anyone. Last year, the best team in the country didn't reach the Frozen Four. These are disappointments that we roll with and move forward from.

I'll continue to hope they're a good team waiting to win the rest of their games, but it's "hope" at this point, not an expectation.

What this year is reminding me of is 2001-02 when every coming weekend I was hoping this was going to be the weekend the team worked out of their funk to no avail, all to the bitter end. I was in denial that this year would work out the same way until last night. I just see little reason for hope at this point. Losing to an undermanned AA team after beating them the night before, when you really need the win, might just be the nail in the coffin.

I hope the team isn't as deflated as I am because if so, it's over.

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What this year is reminding me of is 2001-02 when every coming weekend I was hoping this was going to be the weekend the team worked out of their funk to no avail, all to the bitter end. I was in denial that this year would work out the same way until last night. I just see little reason for hope at this point. Losing to an undermanned AA team after beating them the night before, when you really need the win, might just be the nail in the coffin.

I hope the team isn't as deflated as I am because if so, it's over.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am beginning to think its the Arena and the type of recruits we have been getting. Secondly, maybe we did sell our soul for a new arena and now we are paying for it. We suck. That being said I am still going to watch the Final Five. Its just going to suck watching UND stay home from the Final Five and the NCAA's again for the second time since 1997, the second time since we move into the new Arena. If I remember right this was going to put UND head and toes above the rest of the teams in the league. However, this season we have lost to the following S#!t bag teams, games in which there was no reason for losing. UMD (they suck this year), UAA (2), MSU-M (1) four games we should have won and end up losing. That is a total of 8 points we should have had. We also lost to C.C. in a game we should have won. That is 10 points. We would be up in third place.

.....The Sioux are doing the right thing by going after the top talent in the BCJHL.  It is still the best source of college talent and has played a big part in the success of programs like Maine and Denver.  Just look at Zajac and keep in mind that you will be adding three players of his quality to next seasons lineup, a superstar in Toews, and three bluechip defensemen.  Give Hak a couple of years with this new squad and then see how you feel about him. ???

I agree with the sentiment of your post, so maybe I shouldn't add my 2 cents. My opinion is the BCHL is the second best place to look for talent as I think the USHL plays a better overall game (the BCHL being a very offensive oriented league). But I only get this from reading these boards and comparing statistics between the leagues and the odd comment from a player who's played in either league, so I admit that is just my own opinion. And there's NO doubt that just as great players can come out of the BCHL as the USHL.

Secondly, I don't know if any of our good BCHL recruits are of Zajac's quality. Travis was a first round draft choice. Not sure any of these guys possess that level of talent/potential, but maybe they do. They don't possess his size, so they could be skilled, I suppose, just not big enough to attract the pro scouts as much.

Anyway, the only reason I split these hairs is I don't want to see people have unachievable expectations for these players next year. If they come in as the next Sparkys I'll be so very pleased. I just don't want to overbuild their hype. And maybe Spirko IS the better comparison for them. If they can do what he's done this year, we'll be having a good time next year!

Thirdly, don't forget Toews is going to be, what, 17 next year? That'll be awfully young to be playing with the big boys in D1 hockey. We'll see how much he can contribute right away.

Anyway, still, it's a recruiting class that looks to be very good, with a lot of skilled players. And that DOES make me very optimistic for the future.

MM and SFS, I humbly beg your pardon. I trust your index fingers aren't too painfully bruised from having to repeatedly press the "page down" button on my account.

I will not apologize for my position on Hak. If there had been improvement as the season went on, that'd be one thing. But the same problems persist (giving up answering goals, no O, poor performances on Saturday nights especially, lack of intelligent use of TOs, & etc.), without these problems seemingly even being addressed. No efffort to shake things up, sit non-performers, put certain lines on the ice after scoring to prevent a quick answering goal & etc. I am not demanding #8 this season, but I am demanding continuous improvement and getting everything out of the team that is possible. I just don't see it and I just don't see any alarm on the part of Hak that it's not there. That is just simply inexcusable. Maybe I'm so disappointed that I'm being too hard on him, but all I can say is that this is not a position that I have come to overnight, it's a culmination of the entire season.

If Hak doesn't know that the process by which he was hired put him on an incredibly short leash, he should.

I say what I'm thinking, I don't sugar-coat it, and if some don't like it, put me on your ignore list. I just don't give a damn.

If Hak does continue as coach and is able to bring the program back to its recent former glory, I will be the first to admit I was mistaken. I have nothing against Hak as a person, I just want what is best for my Sioux. And in this, well-meaning people are certain to disagree.

I don't know if you're referring to me, but I never said Hakstol was a great coach. I have no idea at this point. I do know that he was highly recommended by Dean Blais and Gino Gasparini.

I did say that he'd had a rough year and that I was willing to give him more time to get his system and players in place. Given that his father recently died after a long illness, I'm surprised that more people aren't willing to cut him some slack. Who among us would want to coach the Sioux under those circumstances?

Also, I believe it's been stated here that Hakstol had little, if anything, to do with recruiting the current group of seniors. This is a large class that should be the heart and soul of the team. Those players haven't performed as expected. Maybe that's Hakstol's fault and maybe it isn't.

My hope is that no matter how the season turns out, Dave can spend some time in the off-season thinking about what when right, what went wrong and getting everything sorted out for the next season. Perhaps it will take a new AD who's willing to make some tough decsions and enforce them to straighten out the situation.

I say all this as someone who didn't like how the hiring process was handled and who wasn't sold on Hakstol as the best available choice. But he does deserve some time to prove himself, and part of the process he's going through a a new, young head coach is learning from his mistakes. Next season will tell us a lot more about Hakstol as a coach than this season.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would also second these comments.

I do not know if Hakstol is or will be a good coach, but he deserves his chance. Judging him based on this one year is not fair. If you judged coaches on their first year only there would be a lot of good coaches that would be have been fired and never coached again, look at Belichick with Cleveland, now he is considered one of the best coaches of all-time.

It will take at least two more seasons before we can really fairly evaluate Hakstal as a head coach. I actually think he will learn from this season and improve.

I think this season is basically lost. As such, I think that Radke needs to be playing every game from here on out. We will be very thin on defensive experience next year so the more playing time he gets now the better. This senior class has been disappointing, too many of them peaked as sophs so I have hope that next years team will be improved and the year after that we should have a solid chance at winning the NCAA title. Hard to expect next years team to win it all when we will be depending on freshmen for defense and for scoring. I had been holding out hope all year that the team would turn things up a notch this year but after last nights game I had to face the fact that it isn't going to happen. I will still be going to the games and cheering them on but any postive expectation is gone.

I am beginning to think its the Arena and the type of recruits we have been getting. Secondly, maybe we did sell our soul for a new arena and now we are paying for it. We suck. That being said I am still going to watch the Final Five. Its just going to suck watching UND stay home from the Final Five and the NCAA's again for the second time since 1997, the second time since we move into the new Arena. If I remember right this was going to put UND head and toes above the rest of the teams in the league. However, this season we have lost to the following S#!t bag teams, games in which there was no reason for losing. UMD (they suck this year), UAA (2), MSU-M (1) four games we should have won and end up losing. That is a total of 8 points we should have had. We also lost to C.C. in a game we should have won. That is 10 points. We would be up in third place.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Goon, check your medication levels and climb down from the tree. The arena? WTF. I agree the new Ralph doesn't have the atmosphere but you can't blame that on the coaches or players. I saw the UW-CC game on TV this weekend and the UW fans are nuts. Something needs to be down to get people off the fricken leather seats and cheer. The new AD needs to put the student section down in the lower bowl.

The type of recruits we are getting? Parise, Zajac, Spirko, Porter, Stafford, Lammy. Yeah, I guess those guys do suck. ???

I must have missed the announcement that the Sioux are out of the Final 5 and the NCAA's. There are still 4 regular season games and playoffs left. Wait until the season's over for your wouldda, shouldda analysis. I still like our chances.

Also, there are no s-bag teams in the WCHA. Just ask CC, DU and the mighty Gophies.

Its happened two series in a row, the fourth line is out there sucking it up.

Shorten the bench for christ sake. Lastly why is Bina playing over Kyle Radke, Bina directly lead to the the fourth goal last night. Yesh the kid is horrible. The kid gives up goal after goal. Another make the locals feel good about having a kid from Grand Forks on the team.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What game were you listening to Buddy??

Check the stats, the fourth line was never out for any of the goals. Also check the +/- and see which defenceman was out there for all 5 goals.

Bina has done a great job. I too like Radke and hope he gets more ice time. He is going to be a great asset to the Sioux.

Goon, I think your post is second rate at best. UMD has been D1 for 45 years, and has had very successful programs and 4 Hobey Baker winners. We have played in the longest NCAA Final Four Championship game in history, and a bad bounce off the boards denied us a title. I'm glad most UND fans on here are not as full of themselves as you are Goon. You owe Tech an apology as well, as they have won 3 titles, and should never be called second rate. LSSU has 3 titles too.. ARE THEY SECOND RATE!!?? I really hope you were being sarcastic with this post and are just pissed off that your team just lost to AA (which really isn't that big of a deal since you have home ice still well in hand as long as you take 4 out of 8 possible points (assuming UMD sweeps UW at the DECC, which is assuming a lot)). YA HOSER!! ???

END RANT

NO. I just believe in showing respect for my opponents, unlike Mr. Goon.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow, just relax a bit. I've always appreciated your posts on this site, just step back and take a breath. BTW.... You are not going to be the most popular person on here with that signature line. I could care less about Duluth having more Hobey Baker's than UND, its the championships that count the most.

Wow, just relax a bit. I've always appreciated your posts on this site, just step back and take a breath. BTW.... You are not going to be the most popular person on here with that signature line. I could care less about Duluth having more Hobey Baker's than UND, its the championships that count the most.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think it is Goon that needs to relax or get his prescription of Prozac recalibrated.

Cut UMDDogz some slack. I can think of a lot of other schools I'd consider "second-rate" as opposed to the three schools listed by goon. LSSU, Michigan Tech, and UMD have 6 national titles amongst them and I believe 3 runner-up finishes, not to mention 4 (or is it 5? Did a Laker win the Hobey?) Hobey Baker award winners. I'd be ticked, too. UMDDogz, some of us don't wear green and white glasses when typing at our computer.

MafiaMan

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Probably time you make tpb your home, rather than flaming over here.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

sprig, never have I flamed on this site. I have always given the Sioux the respect they deserve. Goon was the one making the classless comment about UMD being a second rate program (no idea where he got that).

CRR, my sig line is meant as a joke...note the wink afterwards. UMD does not have much to brag about (7>0). It's just meant as a tongue in cheek comeback to all the 7>0...7>5 sig lines and posts. Also note the Back2Back shot at Gopher fans. It's all in good fun. I don't care how many national titles anyone has either...if I did I certainly wouldn't be a Bulldogs fan.

UMDDOGZ-- I can appreciate your passion for your team. You are a huge fan, and good for you. BUT, this is a Sioux board, and most of us are as passionate as you are for our team. You should not be surprised when we go after other teams on this board. There is no free pass. We loved Sandy, but he has moved on now, and UMD is our enemy. It seems that you and Running... want UMD and UND to go hand and hand together, sorry it ain't happening. Coach Blais played at UMN and do you think they ever gave him a break? You need to take the good with the bad on this board.

It's all right. From reading the posts that Goon has been making lately, it sounds like he is having some kind of mental meltdown. He jumped off the bandwagon and it ran him over. Saying that UMD sucks this year (who just put up 6 against PWR #1?) pretty much proves he is out of touch with what is happening in the league this year with perennial doormats like MTU and UAA winning huge games and playing at the highest level they have in years.

I didn't expect this from Goon since he has previously been a very insightful and respectful poster, but a season of frustration has obviously taken its toll.

It's all right.  From reading the posts that Goon has been making lately, it sounds like he is having some kind of mental meltdown.  He jumped off the bandwagon and it ran him over.  Saying that UMD sucks this year (who just put up 6 against PWR #1?) pretty much proves he is out of touch with what is happening in the league this year with perennial doormats like MTU and UAA winning huge games and playing at the highest level they have in years.

I didn't expect this from Goon since he has previously been a very insightful and respectful poster, but a season of frustration has obviously taken its toll.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Like one stated before this is a UND site. I never jumped off the Band Wagon, I am just sick and tired of lack luster play that I have witnessed this season. Losing sucks. As I mentioned earlier since we moved into the palace on the Prairie UND hockey has not done a lot. As someone mentioned earlier there is no atmosphere in our new home. Opposing teams love to play here. The have also passified the students, and turned UND hockey into a social event. To top it all off there is NO NHL season.

OK, goon, we find some common ground to agree on. I totally am with you on the "no atmosphere" in the new arena. I tell you what...I was up there for the DU Saturday game a few weeks ago and watched the crowd in the bar area. There were 2-3 tables of people I watched just because I wondered how into the game fans were in that area. Not only did they not leave the bar during the game, they weren't even FACING THE RINK! These "fans" couldn't care less about what was going on on the ice. Sioux hockey has turned into a gigantic "look at me look at me!" social event.

All is well, stay the course.

My prediction for the next Sioux hockey coach has changed. I no longer think that it will be Dean Blais. I don't know how I could be so blind and ignorant and I would like to apologize to the entire message board.

The next Sioux hockey coach will be whoever ends up marrying Katie O'Keefe.

All is well, stay the course.

My prediction for the next Sioux hockey coach has changed.  I no longer think that it will be Dean Blais.  I don't know how I could be so blind and ignorant and I would like to apologize to the entire message board. 

The next Sioux hockey coach will be whoever ends up marrying Katie O'Keefe.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

???

Ryan Hale will be Coach?? ;)

Ok, I've got a lot to say.

First of all, neither UMDDogz nor I have EVER, EVER flamed. QUOTE ME! I'm dead serious. Read every post I've ever made or my brother has ever made (which will take you a LONG time since he's #16 and I'm #53 in postings) and PROVE TO ME a time we've EVER flamed, or been total homers, or been Gopher fans, or anything else.

Secondly, calling any team in the WCHA team second-rate makes you seem like you don't know anything about college hockey, Goon, which I don't think is true. I mean, that's why I post on this board, because Sioux fans know more about hockey than just about any other fans I know. I don't come here because I want everyone to love the 'Dogs (ok, everyone should, but I'm not trying to force it here), I come here because I want to talk about HOCKEY. Not "Beer, Booze, and Babes" like the Penalty Box. I joined POI but never posted because I had no respect for the majority of the hosers over there. I'm sick and tired of people jumping down our throats when we have a different opinion, because we're not Sioux fans. Who said we aren't Sioux fans?

Additionally, I agree with some of the fans on here who are fed up with the way people are acting about one bad season. There is so much to be proud of in the Sioux hockey tradition that you don't need to go out on a ledge somewhere because you have a first-year coach, a group of seniors who aren't living up to what they could be, and fans in the stands that want everyone to sit down and be quiet. I'm looking at my team, who had the potential to be a real contender in the league, and will be decimated next year after the seniors leave, and, though I've made some deprecating comments about the 'Dogs, I haven't thrown in the towel. I have seen them through some rough seasons, I will see them through some more. Don't get spoiled by success.

If you're going to pass out the blame, why isn't anyone blaming Zach Parise for leaving? Imagine what he could have done for the Sioux this year. The most sane argument I've heard is the conditioning argument, which was well-thought out and backed by some stats. Maybe Blais would have had the same problem. You don't know.

MOST IMPORTANTLY, a lot of people on here are acting like children. YOU ARE ALL SIOUX FANS. QUIT FIGHTING AMONGST YOURSELF. If you were all having beers together and talking about the game instead of typing on this message board, none of this sh-t would be happening.

And FOR THE LAST TIME, I KNOW THIS IS A UND SITE.