SiouxSports.com Forum

NHL "un-cancelled"?

mikejm

This might help fill in the time before the puck is dropped in Anchorage.

the Hockey News says agreement has been reached.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=115396

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/2005/.../918110-cp.html

Here is an article that says about the same thing. Its good if true.

I could handle a 28 game season. I just want some hockey.

early march. need time to sign players and hire staffs for all teams. tons of free agents in the nhl right now. 24-28 game season and regular playoffs...

they will nedd to do something drastic to fill arenas. heavy discounted tickets and so forth to make this work. maybe just change 2 rules this season like the 2 line pass and a shootout to create excitement for the fans rather than watching paint dry. the other changes will come next year. goalie pad sizes, bigger nets and a few more rule changes.

but....................lets wait until saturday to get too excited..it would be great though :blush:

When they start it up, I'll believe it.  Until then, it's cancelled.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If it happens, it's completely stupid.  You don't cancel a season, then have it. Noone cares at this point.

Is there going to be an "****" next to the winner?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It may be stupid, but perhaps some of the owners and players are starting to realize that the fans are leaving wholesale and they need to try something to keep the few that remain?

Nevertheless, I wouldn't hold my breath.

The only good that could come out of this lockout is Goodenow and Bettman's resignations.

that will be forgotten down the road as long as a season gets going.

If it happens, it's completely stupid.  You don't cancel a season, then have it. Noone cares at this point.

Is there going to be an "****" next to the winner?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was wondering if Butteman cancelling the season was a ploy to get the negoiations going again. I will be happy if the season gets going.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think him SETTING the deadline was to get them talking, but they were talking up until he wouldn't budge from 42.5 mill.

Don't mind saying that I have always found the NHL to be boring. That game,

and league, has problems far beyond the labor issues. Geez, can I watch some more clutching and grabbing, and a goalie wearing pads that are more fitting for the Singing Fat Lady, to another 2-1 finish . . . . And pay $100+ for the so-called privilege of doing so?

Maybe the players will actually play with some fire in their bellies all the time for this so-called "season," what with the short stretch run to the Lord Stanley. That might be hard to do as over half of them are probably in some donut shop watching ESPN reporting the resolution right now.

Once the Frozen Four has been settled, hockey is pretty much done for us. The NHL can go implode themselves. A reincarnation, featuring more college kids and less prima donnas, would be much preferred from this camp. Geez, maybe they could bring ticket prices down to a degree of reason as well.

Besides, this probably means that Bettman and Goodenow will be hailed as some kind of saviors.

What a joke. Cancel. No cancel. Integrity. No integrity. Game-o history.

And pay $100+ for the so-called privilege of doing so?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually at rinks I've gone too, I find the price to be OK. I went to games in LA and with parking being around $15, I still watched the game from about ten rows behind the goalie for less than $60 total (including parking, pop, etc.) on the night.

• 2 weeks later...
I don't see it happening, but two Boston firms have offered over $3 billion to buy the entire NHL.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2003701&num=0

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Damn, that is a lotta cash to throw around there. I doubt that they buy the whole league, but with the kind of cash they're throwing around, they could easily buy several of the smaller market teams, and perhaps some intrest in the other teams as well.

I don't see it happening, but two Boston firms have offered over $3 billion to buy the entire NHL.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2003701&num=0

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think your right since there are like 30 owners that probably don't want lose control of their clubs. That is an incredible obscene ammount of money. In fact Jeremy Jacobs the owner of Boston has already pretty much said no can do.

I think your right since there are like 30 owners that probably don't want lose control of their clubs. That is an incredible obscene ammount of money. In fact Jeremy Jacobs the owner of Boston has already pretty much said no can do.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Still, there are 13 teams whose owners I'd love to have endorse the deal... Maybe modify the deal so that those same teams are bought by that company so we can cut the trash from one side of the bargaining table.