SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux vs Pioneers

dagies

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Postgame interview: Hak says the team is going to have trouble staying mentally sharp after winning one of the last 6 games. However, he looks forward to getting Murray and McMahon back for the last 6 games.

Can this team recover? I kind of doubt it. The poor streak has been too long. It would be a miracle for UND to do anything substantial this season.

Postgame interview:  Hak says the team is going to have trouble staying mentally sharp after winning one of the last 6 games.  However, he looks forward to getting Murray and McMahon back for the last 6 games.

Can this team recover?  I kind of doubt it.  The poor streak has been too long.  It would be a miracle for UND to do anything substantial this season.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In order to stay mentally sharp don't you have to be mentally sharp in the first place? Genoway was still crying to the ref after the game. Make more plays on the ice during the game and the refs do not come into play.

OK, everyone whining about how UND suck and how Dave Hakstol sucks and how the world is going to end, STFU. I am sick an tired of coming here and seeing people bitch and whine like a bunch of spoiled brat losers. UND worked their asses off this weekened. They played hard, they tried and never quit trying. They made bad plays a couple times each game and Denver made them pay for it. Also, they just couldn't hold momentum after they scored goals all weekend, but they never gave up. Denver is a very good team and deserved to win both games. UND didn't lose these games, Denver won them.

This team worked very hard this weekend, despite missing a couple of key players. Even with those players, the Sioux would've had a tough road. With those players missing, it made it all the tougher and they couldn't quite get it done. UND is a good team this year, who just doesn't have the luck or breaks on their side. It happens. This isn't an excuse, it's the truth.

While it would be nice to be a NC contender every single year, it just isn't going to happen. Three years ago people were questioning Blais, this year people are questioning Hakstol. For as terrible as some people seem to want to make it seem, UND is still probably going to get home ice for the first round of the playoffs and will probably make the NC$$.

I really don't know what to say about tonight.

We really did have problems containing the Pioneers. We'd get some momentum going and then they'd simply come back and burn someone to score. Fylling and Bina can attest to that.

JPar did not do too badly tonight. No worse than Phil last night. I think the play of the game that did it in for the Sioux was the no goal in the third. Interesting that Derek talked to the goal judge about that.

Folks, if we didn't rush the shot, or whatever it is that went wrong, we would have scored 5 goals at least. I know, woulda shoulda coulda. However, it really has come down to that as the definition of our offense.

Also, anyone notice how Denver was able to handle bouncing pucks and we were not? If you wish to question this, look at Denver's second goal tonight. Puck was bouncing all over the place, over Jone's stick to a Denver player who shoots and scores. Why can't we seem to corral bouncing pucks?

BIG props to Drew Stafford, Rastislav Spirko, and Travis Zajac. They are playing at another level. Big props to Prpich, Stafford, and Zajac for actually crashing the net. At least three players were listening. Nice try for Bina. Despite being manhandled you still crashed the net. Way to show what you SHOULD do on offense. Wish it would have went in.

Folks, from the sound of it, Denver kept it simple, crashed the net, and shot as fast as they could set it up. It seemed like they would come into the zone, passpassshoot. A bangbangbang play. We do we cycle so much? The more we pass the better chance it's going to go astray or get picked off. We need to shoot first pass later. Nick Fuher, props to you for at least trying to shoot instead of the endless pass routine we seem to employ.

Matt Greene- GREAT job on defense. I'm sure I'm possibly one of the few who are willing to admit this, but GOOD JOB. It may have stunk to have to sit out against BSU, but it actually seems to have helped you. Matt Smaby also had a good game.

Did officiating cost us the game? No. We did some stupid things on the ice and Derek, who's always had it in for the Sioux, was just waiting to acknowledge our mistakes. Andy, you should have known better than to encourage Daddy's dearest. We did this to ourselves, penalty wise. I'm more outraged for the noncalls against Denver (slashing or crosscheck to Prpich and the obstruction interference to Bina). Derek still sucks, but it's more for not calling it both ways rather than just trying to pick a winner.

EDIT: As for how it stacks up in the WCHA: Look around the league. Things didn't fare too well for UMD, CC, and UMN this weekend. So there is still hope for us in the playoffs.

Folks, we ARE competitive. Hakstol is NOT the problem. Our senior class just isn't cutting it, even though they play really REALLY hard.

Diggler is right. We aren't going to win it all every year, but we can still do well. One goal at a time. First, ensure playoff invites to NCAA and WCHA. Next, get home ice for WCHA. Then do as best you can. One step at a time.

It is ALWAYS tough to listen or watch your team lose, especially if it is an upset, but it is NEVER the end of the season until they are out.

Edited by redwing77

Matt Greene-  GREAT job on defense.  I'm sure I'm possibly one of the few who are willing to admit this, but GOOD JOB. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There has been plenty of anti-Greene sentiment on this board from several posters throughout this entire season especially as it relates to penalties.

This weekend, MG played tremendous hockey. A bright spot in another disappointing weekend (results-wise anyway).

He stayed out of the penalty box, made great decisions with the puck, played very strong defense and clearly was a leader on the ice.

He deserves some props for his play and for avoiding the penalty box and I hope those that have bagged on him can step up and give credit where credit is due!

OK, everyone whining about how UND suck and how Dave Hakstol sucks and how the world is going to end, STFU.  I am sick an tired of coming here and seeing people bitch and whine like a bunch of spoiled brat losers.  UND worked their asses off this weekened.  They played hard, they tried and never quit trying.  They made bad plays a couple times each game and Denver made them pay for it.  Also, they just couldn't hold momentum after they scored goals all weekend, but they never gave up.  Denver is a very good team and deserved to win both games.  UND didn't lose these games, Denver won them.

This team worked very hard this weekend, despite missing a couple of key players.  Even with those players, the Sioux would've had a tough road.  With those players missing, it made it all the tougher and they couldn't quite get it done.  UND is a good team this year, who just doesn't have the luck or breaks on their side.  It happens. This isn't an excuse, it's the truth.

While it would be nice to be a NC contender every single year, it just isn't going to happen. Three years ago people were questioning Blais, this year people are questioning Hakstol.  For as terrible as some people seem to want to make it seem, UND is still probably going to get home ice for the first round of the playoffs and will probably make the NC$$.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

great - and it is the effort that counts....we shouldn't subject kids to labels like "winner" or "loser." Coach Hak can hand out the little league participation ribbons at the end of the year and everyone is happy knowing that they played hard....come on man, people shouldn't settle for half-ass perfomances with the amount of talent and resources this program has!

This weekend was the final nail in the coffin for this team and season. This was our chance to move up in the standings, with Duluth and Minnesota still struggling and Denver being above us, and we didn't get it done. This team just does not have enough offense to win the close games against teams like Denver, Colorado College, etc. Our upperclass forwards are very average at best at finishing their chances. Our freshmen and sophomores are outstanding, but you are not going to win at this level without at least some upperclassmen providing leadership and scoring. Add to that our lack of depth and you have a team that just isn't going anywhere this year.

The great teams of the 1990's had good depth and could roll 3 to 4 lines for 60 minutes, which would wear out other teams. That is why in the 1990's, we owned the third period. Tonight, Denver owned the third period in our own barn. Denver reminds me of those 1990's Sioux teams. They have all the pieces in place to make a run at repeating as NCAA champions.

I don't want to knock Blaiser at all, but with a few obvious exceptions (Parise, Bochenski), our overall recruiting classes over the past few seasons have lacked the depth and quality of those in the 1990's. Look what has happened to this team's offensive production this year after losing just two star players. That tells you just how much depth we have been lacking over the past three to four years. Without Parise and Bochenski, the previous two seasons would have been just as bad, if not worse.

Ever since Sandelin went to Duluth after our last NCAA Championship in 2000, our recruiting classes have lacked depth. Yes, we've landed some stars here and there, but the overall quality and depth of the classes has been missing. Blais and Sandelin were a lethal combination, both in coaching and recruiting. But after Sandy left, the recruiting classes haven't been the same and neither has the discipline and focus of the team.

Now, Dave Hakstol has to try to win with subpar recruiting classes and undisciplined players and people are calling for his head. I for one will be giving him more than one year to prove himself. Our recruits for next year look really good and we'll have some good forwards coming back next year. I think Hak and his staff will have a good chance to start building this program back to championship status within the next couple of years.

I for one will be giving him more than one year to prove himself.  Our recruits for next year look really good and we'll have some good forwards coming back next year.  I think Hak and his staff will have a good chance to start building this program back to championship status within the next couple of years.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In all fairness, due to the number of seniors this season (and maybe a departure or two - God forbid) and because freshmen historically do not fare well in the WCHA, I personally expect next year to be a bit of a down year (not being a pessimist, more of realist) and feel that the true test of Hakstol's coaching abilities will come the season after next.

great - and it is the effort that counts....we shouldn't subject kids to labels like "winner" or "loser." Coach Hak can hand out the little league participation ribbons at the end of the year and everyone is happy knowing that they played hard....come on man, people shouldn't settle for half-ass perfomances with the amount of talent and resources this program has!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When the effort isn't there, they deserve to be blasted. But when the effort is there, they don't. Half the people on this board act like it is the end of the world when UND loses. When the players go out there and play their damndest, I don't think they deserve to be ripped into just because they lose. As I said before, people were complaining about Blais three years ago and how perhaps he lost touch. Then he quits and Hakstol becomes the coach and all that is remembered is the great times. Now that the team is having a tough year and Hakstol is a bum who couldn't coach a Pee-Wee team to the consolation championship of the Optimist Club tournament in Podunk, Minnesota. There are so many fans that have no patience whatsoever.

At times this year UND has had players who've done really stupid things on and off the ice, for that again they deserve to be criticized. It is Hakstol's first season as coach and he has had to deal with more injuries this year then Blais seemingly had to deal with his last 5 years as coach. Sure I would like to see UND be able to make it through these injuries and still play great, but that just isn't going to happen. It is one year though, the world is not going to end. If and when it happens again next year, then there definately are reasons to think there are problems.

Just because UND isn't challeneging for a NC this year, doesn't mean the system is broke and that all sorts of things need to change.

Gotta say, it is getting hard to keep up the optimism. I remember Hakstol saying the average fan wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the way the Sioux played under Dean and the way they will under him. Gotta tell you I see a change and would bet plenty others would as well. It would be interesting to see the last time a Sioux team scored so few goals per game. I didn't see the Saturday game at CC, but I don't remember a time watching Sioux hockey that they can't sustain any pressure other than a shot here and a shot there. Sioux hockey to me has always been a buzzing brand of hockey with lots of oohs and ahhs from the fans from sustained pressure following a goal etc. It seems when we score a goal to get close or tied now, the other team is the buzzing team. It's like the Denver teams of old have now flip-flopped with us, and we are the ones being caught from behind and giving up the 2 on 1's. Yes the Sioux lost Parise and Bochenski, but they have lost as much, if not more in the past and still created scoring chances. Remember, minus Bochenski, this was a team Dean said would win one, if not 2 national championships. It concerns me that a team that had such high expectations has many of it's fans hoping for a split at home. Even the year the Ralph opened people expected to win and saw exciting hockey, but were let down by poor goaltending. I, for one, will not lower my expectations for Sioux hockey. Being realistic with a young team is one thing, but regardless of what some board members say, I see lack of effort and discipline from more than one player every game. The lack of discipline is killing the Sioux, and yet those same people are out the next shift. Yes, Dean is gone, but his method of discipline worked, and why change a good thing despite the short bench with injuries and such. I would be much more respectful of a loss that lessons were learned, than a loss which only perpetuates future discipline problems. Now for the optimism -- score first, and I believe the Sioux can win any game, if they get back to the defense that only allows about 20 shots a game, because I believe we have good goaltenders, but they need to know that if they give up the first goal, it isn't game over!

I thought there was a pretty decent chance the weekend might go this way, and of course the board as a result would look as it does. I don't blame the "down" people for being down; it seems to be a pretty reasonable way to feel right now.

It may seem irrational, but I still think good things are going to happen this year. A lot of the pieces have gotten better as the year has gone on. Some have been pointed out here recently. Greene has responded well to his suspension, cutting down on the penalties and playing very solidly. Spirko and Zajac have completed the freshman adjustment and are valuable contributors. Radke seems to have finally adjusted as well and is a legitimate WCHA defenseman. The PP is as good as it has been for a long time - usually dangerous and even productive lately. Five-on-five, UND played fine defense against a very good Denver team, limiting their chances and shots. The upcoming off weekend will help heal the nicks and dings, refreshing the team for the stretch drive.

One very recent development that concerns me is that penalty-killing, a season-long strength, really struggled. A bigger, and related, concern is that goaltending, also a season-long positive, has been very average lately. This team does not have enough other outstanding attributes to get by with less than great goaltending.

(On that note, the shot taken at Parise here earlier (if Hak wanted to win, why start Parise?) was way off-base. I had wondered last week what kind of comments the cult of Phil might have posted if Lammy had backstopped the 3-1 win while Parise suffered the 3-3 tie with BSU. I'm certain it would have been mentioned, with the knowing addition that starting Phil both nights would have sewn up the sweep. Hate to break it to the Parise-bashers, but both goalies have slipped lately, and would like a few goals back from this weekend. I'll continue to pull for both goalies to do well.)

Before the weekend, I was trying to figure out what exactly happened to UND and DU that would shift the balance of power between the two teams from one where UND absolutely owned DU last year, to one where DU looks to be the better team. Take a few important players off each team, and the power shouldn't shift that much. First of all, it seemed to me that the play was not lopsided this weekend. DU played great with the lead, and was resilient all weekend long, but it's not like they ever dominated the way UND dominated them last Spring. Second, this is how UND's forward lines changed from last Spring to this weekend:

Out: Parise, Bochenski, Murray, Lundbohm, McMahon, Hale

In: Zajac, Spirko, Canady, Fabian, Bina, Foyt

Looking at it that way, it's a wonder UND played so evenly with DU this weekend. Take Murray and McMahon off the "out" list, and Bina and Foyt off the "in" list, and the changes aren't nearly so lopsided.

I am the King of irrational exuberance, but I don't think my optimistic stance this year is as irrational as it has been in recent years. I think the team will win 4 or 5 of the next 6 games. I also think they will beat CC the next time they play them, and that they will beat Denver the next time they play them. I am a firm believer that if you continue to play hard and the right way and generate chances, eventually you will be rewarded with positive results. I'm sticking with it.

I am the King of irrational exuberance, but I don't think my optimistic stance this year is as irrational as it has been in recent years.  I think the team will win 4 or 5 of the next 6 games.  I also think they will beat CC the next time they play them, and that they will beat Denver the next time they play them.  I am a firm believer that if you continue to play hard and the right way and generate chances, eventually you will be rewarded with positive results.  I'm sticking with it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I really give you props for being so optimistic. You have some good analysis, but in the end, it doesn't address one simple and (I believe) fatal flaw -- who will score the goals? I've been wondering this since before the season started and there are no answers into February.

The only way I can stay even remotely positive is that I'm not immensely impressed with the cream of the WCHA this year. Denver, CC, and Wisco all look good, but they do not look as good as some of the top WCHA teams from years past.

In all fairness, due to the number of seniors this season (and maybe a departure or two - God forbid) and because freshmen historically do not fare well in the WCHA, I personally expect next year to be a bit of a down year (not being a pessimist, more of realist) and feel that the true test of Hakstol's coaching abilities will come the season after next.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think you can really predict next year. It seems like players are entering NCAA Hockey at a playing higher level than in years past and freshmen are contributing right away. The only draw back is that I'm not seeing the dramatic improvements over a four year career that we used to see. Players come in and their scoring increases corresponding to their ice time as they mature.

I don't think you can really predict next year.  It seems like players are entering NCAA Hockey at a playing higher level than in years past and freshmen are contributing right away.  The only draw back is that I'm not seeing the dramatic improvements over a four year career that we used to see.  Players come in and their scoring increases corresponding to their ice time as they mature.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agreed, it seems the year a team is supposed to be down, they come out o.k. I think the Sioux won a National Championship the year after they were favored to-- same with Michigan. I don't think Minnesota was expecting to be quite as good after Leopold left either. I supposed it all depends on the learning curve and how freshmen progress. While UND's freshmen will be really young next year, here's to hoping they can put up better numbers than the few goals provided by Fylling, Massen and Canady. The defensive side will be the question, as they will be very young, but hopefully the transition game will improve. I think the Sioux can use a boost of enthusiasm, as it seems it has been most consistent from Spirko and Zajac this year. Usually you are in trouble if your go-to guys are freshmen. Let's just hope the upper classes pick it up down the stretch and supplement what we are getting from those two. I don't want to start looking to next year quite yet.

When the effort isn't there, they deserve to be blasted. But when the effort is there, they don't. Half the people on this board act like it is the end of the world when UND loses. When the players go out there and play their damndest, I don't think they deserve to be ripped into just because they lose. As I said before, people were complaining about Blais three years ago and how perhaps he lost touch. Then he quits and Hakstol becomes the coach and all that is remembered is the great times. Now that the team is having a tough year and Hakstol is a bum who couldn't coach a Pee-Wee team to the consolation championship of the Optimist Club tournament in Podunk, Minnesota. There are so many fans that have no patience whatsoever.

At times this year UND has had players who've done really stupid things on and off the ice, for that again they deserve to be criticized. It is Hakstol's first season as coach and he has had to deal with more injuries this year then Blais seemingly had to deal with his last 5 years as coach. Sure I would like to see UND be able to make it through these injuries and still play great, but that just isn't going to happen. It is one year though, the world is not going to end. If and when it happens again next year, then there definately are reasons to think there are problems.

Just because UND isn't challeneging for a NC this year, doesn't mean the system is broke and that all sorts of things need to change.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Regarding having no patience, paying $400+ a year for season tickets (and rising) will do that to a fellow. If you go to a restaurant and pay premium money for a steak it shold at least be ribeye. This year, we are getting a team that resembles chopped steak. And we didn't even get a bottle of A1 sauce to help choke it down.