SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX vs. denver

Let'sGoHawks!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish otherwise, but I don't see UND doing better than a split this weekend. If Murray continues to be sidelined, along with Kaip and McMahon out, we'll be lucky to escape with 2 pts, IMO.

The really disturbing thing for me was seeing how flat UND came out vs. BSU last Friday. They reminded me of team USA, when they got hammered by Belarus in the WJC's. It wasn't a lack of effort once the game started, it was a lack of mental preparation.

Having suffered three straight losses, I expected more from the Sioux. The competition has been good, but in the last 2 series UND is 1-2-1. Denver will be another good team that will cause problems for the boys.

Split this week, and about .500 the rest of the season. Teams don't change much after January. Here's hoping I'm wrong.

Go Sioux.

BREAKOUT WEEKEND!!

wait i think i have been saying that for 2 months now..damn.. well maybe it will finally happen and we get rolling into the playoffs..come on sioux!!!

4-3 porter 2 goals, stafford and zajac 1 each with many assists around the board

5-3 spriko 2 goals, genoway, prpich and jones 1 goal each...

Phil gets 2 big wcha wins!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

we have a big sioux party out here in AZ this weekend at RTO'SULLIVANS friday night for the hockey game..a golf tourney SIOUXPERSWING on sat then more sioux hockey that night...great sioux hockey weekend...

Although penalties haven't been a big problem for UND of late (except for recent spear :lol: ), UND will have to stay out of the penalty box this weekend if they want to have any success.

Denver's power play is only ranked fifth in WCHA play, but of late it has been hot. Over the last three games it is clicking at 41%, which is outstanding.

I wish otherwise, but I don't see UND doing better than a split this weekend.  If Murray continues to be sidelined, along with Kaip and McMahon out, we'll be lucky to escape with 2 pts, IMO.

The really disturbing thing for me was seeing how flat UND came out vs. BSU last Friday.  They reminded me of team USA, when they got hammered by Belarus in the WJC's.  It wasn't a lack of effort once the game started, it was a lack of mental preparation. 

Having suffered three straight losses, I expected more from the Sioux.  The competition has been good, but in the last 2 series UND is 1-2-1.  Denver will be another good team that will cause problems for the boys. 

Split this week, and about .500 the rest of the season.  Teams don't change much after January.  Here's hoping I'm wrong.

Go Sioux.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What happened to Murray, he has'nt been playing, I have not heard why.

What if Zajac's 2 posts and Massen's 1 post all went in?

What would we be saying if they'd have won these games 4-3 and 5-1 this weekend?

It's not an offensive explosion, but that would be a little better, wouldn't it? They're close.

Yes, they didn't get the pucks in the net. Inches DO count in hockey. I'm looking at the bright side.

I have no idea what to expect this weekend. I wish all our guys were available.

I have no idea what to expect this weekend.

Expect the unexpected. I sure hope they're "playing possum" with Brady Murray. We could use the speed in the lineup.

I wish all our guys were available.

You don't like the notion of going against the nation's top offense, and a fast team, with a fourth line of (pick three) Fabian, Marvin, Foyt, Bina?

I'd guess the fourth line will see limited duty this weekend, unless the Sioux can put up some goals and get a lead.

Having a hard time understanding how a Sioux team that dominated CC (and lost), were dominated by a BSU forecheck on Friday. Part of it could be attributed to missing Greene and Fuher?

Although the Sioux played better on Saturday, they again did not dominate BSU on the forecheck, they way they did CC through most of the 4 games played. BSU was certainly better than expected, but I don't think they rank up there with the current top of the WCHA.

Still waiting for a total Sioux performance (including goals), hope waiting doesn't carry on into next season.

I'd guess the fourth line will see limited duty this weekend, unless the Sioux can put up some goals and get a lead.

Having a hard time understanding how a Sioux team that dominated CC (and lost), were dominated by a BSU forecheck on Friday. Part of it could be attributed to missing Greene and Fuher?

Although the Sioux played better on Saturday, they again did not dominate BSU on the forecheck, they way they did CC through most of the 4 games played. BSU was certainly better than expected, but I don't think they rank up there with the current top of the WCHA.

Still waiting for a total Sioux performance (including goals), hope waiting doesn't carry on into next season.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Watch how Green and Fuher move the puck out of their end and you will appreciate how much the team missed them. They were both solid against CC.

Call me crazy but for some reason I see a Sioux sweep this weekend.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was thinking about that myself at the beginning of the season DU had some horrid defense and goaltending and wouldn't you have it all of a sudden when they play UND they are number one in the league. I say UND wins two ugly games.

Expect the unexpected. I sure hope they're "playing possum" with Brady Murray. We could use the speed in the lineup.

?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I could see it being a rope a dope. Brady would be huge for this series.

I say put the fourth line on the bench and roll three lines using the best 9 forwards. Also Colby has to play Center.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I just don't have a good feeling about this weekend. I think it's because, as Sprig states above, the boys just haven't gotten it all working at the same time this year, with maybe the exception of the first UMD game. Here's hoping they find the magic starting this weekend.

On the other hand, I have a hard time believing that Denver is as advertised. They lost their stud forward (James), goaltender (Berkhoel) [sp?] and defenseman (Caldwell). In fact, Caldwell must have had more minutes last year than either of the DU goalies. He was always on the ice! I have never been impressed with how a DU team plays. It's all hooking, holding and holding the stick. That 's how Gwozdecky (sp?) coaches. I've never been impressed with that little troll (Gwoz) either.

I hope the boys are big time motivated to avenge last spring in the Springs. I sometimes wonder if there is anything that motivates this team though.

I say put the fourth line on the bench and roll three lines  . . .

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Me thinks that the fourth line has shown, on many occasions, more hustle, grit, and heart than the other three lines combined.

I'd start the fourth line, and let them set the tempo with some tenacious forechecking, some hard hits, and an early goal or two. Tough to get the supposed speed going when you have three guys with heart all over you.

I also see some avenging from the Springs last spring. Sioux sweep.

It'll be a carthodic weekend boys and girls. Git yer tickets to

the West Regional now.

Me thinks that the fourth line has shown, on many occasions, more hustle, grit, and heart than the other three lines combined.

At times they have but unfortunately despite their efforts they contribute nothing offensively. We need to pick who plays based on their +/-

Assuming that Brady Murray doesn't play, here's my guess on the lines and defensive pairs:

Stafford, Zajac, Spirko

Porter, Genoway, Massen

Prpich, Fylling, Canady

Fabian, Foyt, Marvin/Bina

Greene, Jones

Schneider, Smaby

Fuher, Bina/Radke

The first line is a lock because Hakstol said on the radio Monday that this line was starting to develop some chemistry and he wanted to keep it together.

Hakstol also said after Saturday's game that he was happy with how Massen played, so I see him as the right wing on the second line. Genoway has to play center with McMahon out.

Fylling centering the third line with Prpich on the left wing is probably a safe bet. The fourth line has looked good with Foyt centering it and Fabian on the left wing.

The right wing spots on the third and fourth lines are a bit of a question mark. How that works out will probably depend on whether Hakstol decides he wants to play Bina at a forward or as a defenseman. And that probably depends on how much confidence he has in Radke for this series.