SiouxSports.com Forum

Dubay predicts

sprig

Dubay has just predicted that Duluth will pass the Sioux for home ice and will be at the final five, while the Sioux will not. Although Duluth's play has improved, still a tall order to make up the 4 points by which they trail the Sioux in the points lost category. May be just as good a chance, given the recent play of the Gophers, that the Sioux make up the 3 points by which they trail the gophers. Would love to see both the Sioux and Duluth pass the Gophers, but both (UND, UMD) have a tougher finishing schedule than MN does.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dubay has just predicted that Duluth will pass the Sioux for home ice and will be at the final five, while the Sioux will not. Although Duluth's play has improved, still a tall order to make up the 4 points by which they trail the Sioux in the points lost category. May be just as good a chance, given the recent play of the Gophers, that the Sioux make up theĀ  3 points by which they trail the gophers. Would love to see both the Sioux and Duluth pass the Gophers, but both (UND, UMD) have a tougher finishing schedule than MN does.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dubay is nothing more that a fan that go lucky and ended up in Radio. I would imagine he said this to get the people in Grand Forks rialed up. I watched Fridays game after the Beaver Sioux game and UofM is not playing well right now. I think Maybe Jeff should be worried about his team staying home for the playoffs, Briggs is really not playing good at all. I also am not worried about UMD if they have to come to the Ralph and play the Sioux, their goaltending is brutal right now. Incidently UND and DU have the best goaltending in the WCHA right now.

Dubay has just predicted that Duluth will pass the Sioux for home ice and will be at the final five, while the Sioux will not. Although Duluth's play has improved, still a tall order to make up the 4 points by which they trail the Sioux in the points lost category. May be just as good a chance, given the recent play of the Gophers, that the Sioux make up theĀ  3 points by which they trail the gophers. Would love to see both the Sioux and Duluth pass the Gophers, but both (UND, UMD) have a tougher finishing schedule than MN does.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dubay is an IDIOT....always has been...always will be!!

He can't give props to the Goophies (losing something like 6 of the last 8 to the Dawgs), so he gives props to the team that beat them...and rips on the Sioux. LOSER!!

I agree, PCM.

However, I was really hoping to see an offensive rejuvenation this weekend and it didn't materialize. I'm already on record with some optimistic observations about what could happen if the Sioux dominate down the stretch like we know/hope they can. However, right now Duluth went into CC and took 3 of 4 and into MN and got a split. They've played 3 very good games out of 4 on the road. Duluth has a bit more difficult schedule than the Sioux do, but it's conceivable Dubay could be right, and I hate to think it could happen.

Just have to win games. It will all take care of itself. I'm happy to see our freshmen forwards and still hanging in there as the season gets long, and that Radke seems to be catching up. Could be a good thing in the end.

Not such a ridiculous statement after seeing the Bemidji series this weekend. :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree. The Sioux should get home ice with 2 games in hand, but absolutely must take at least 2 points this weekend against Denver and in 2 weeks against Wisconsin. The Sioux probably need to go 7-3 (or at worst 6-4) to get home ice. That is not going to be easy the way this team is playing and with Brady Murray out. I was absolutely disgusted with the performance this weekend. With all due respect to Bemidji State, a very hard working team, they should not be close to the Sioux in their own building. BSU has some talent, but let's be honest about it. They have players that even Mankato, AAU and the other lower tier WCHA teams did not want. If the Sioux are landing the blue chip talent, there is no reason that Bemidji should be able to tie us at home and hold us to 6 goals including an empty netter. Bemidji simply outworked the Sioux much of this weekend and played with more heart and passion.

Even though I think Dubay is a media hack, there's no denying the Sioux are really a "bubble team" at this stage. If we can't take at least 3/4 pts from DU this weekend, I don't care how good DU is playing, then the team can get ready to pack its travel gear. This is not the time of year to make excuses for sub-par efforts by so many of the guys who should be hitting their peaks right now. :lol:

UMD is playing a lot better than UND is. Gopher homer or not...there's no denying that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Really troll? And what do you base that upon? What is your definition? The last 2 weeks? The last month? The last 2 months?

UMD in December:

@Wisconsin--swept

H UND--split (lost 5-1 Friday; won 4-3 Saturday on late goal)

UMD in January:

H Denver-tie and a loss

H AAU--tie and a loss

H St. Cloud --split

@CC--win and tie

@UM--split

That is a total of 2 points in December out of a possible 8. That is a total of 9 points in January out of a possible 20, and 3 were home series.

UND in December:

H AAU--split

@ UMD--split

H Canisius--sweep

UND in January:

H MSUM--split

@ CC--2 losses

H BSU--win and tie

That is a total of 4 out of 8 points in December. That is a total of 2 points in January out of 8.

UMD has stumbled much more at home. The only difference is that UMD got 3 points in CC and UND got swept in 2 games that they badly outplayed CC but lost 2-1 and 1-0. UMD then played a UM team that has lost 5 of 6 at home and cannot beat anyone.

I'm not sure how you translate that into "UMD is playing a lot better than UND is" unless your maroon and gold glasses prevent you from being objective. Please do us a favor and spare us your "insight", which is nothing more than the so-called "perspective" of an immature Rodent fan trying to stir up trouble. For at least the 100th time, please go away troll. :lol:

Dubay is simply frustrated by his struggling Gophers. That's the only reason he would say that. Dubay saying that Duluth will pass the Sioux is about as credible as me saying the Sioux are going to win the national championship this year. None of you would really take my prediction seriously because you don't know me. PA carries that show on his back.

The Gophs are currently the strong front-runner for first-half excellence, second-half swoon award. In fact, noone else is even close. They may get to lose a couple to the perennial winner, SCSU, in a couple weeks, although SCSU is not in the running for the award, given their rather poor first half :lol:

I don't listen to the P.A. and Dubay show...I don't think I'm missing much. However, I have been forced to listen to Paul Allen's broadcasts of the Vikings when on the road on Sundays, and can't stand his playcalling. Dubay, from what I have gathered, is a huge Gopher homer, and his comments mean nothing. Why didn't he talk about his beloved rodents losing so much lately? It would be interesting to see what he said about tech sweeping.

A couple of points:

1. UMD has played to more games than UND and UM. If the Gophers play 0.500 hockey against UW/AA/SCSU/MTU, UMD would need to win out to pass them, UND would need to win six of eight remaining. This tells me that if anyone is going to pass the Gophers it will be the Sioux, not UMD. I actually think the Gophers have a better chance of moving up than moving down, but either is possible, neither likely.

2. Dubay is always going to take shots at the Sioux. It is just too easy of a time killer for the radio.

3. The 1st round series between the WCHA 5 vs 6 will be a battle. I really don't want the Gophers participating in that.

Ah yes, Jeff Dubay: the man with WCHA insight matched only by Shooter and Grandpa Sid.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This brings up an interesting question: Who is more of an idiot, Grandpa Sid or Jeff Dubay? In essence, who is less credible?

I think it would make a good poll question.

I wouldn't get too bent out of shape over his prediction. Of course anything can happen, but it's a relatively safe bet that UND and UMD are going to meet in the first-round, where it would be a toss-up as to which team would make it to St. Paul. It's not an outlandish prediction to pick UMD over UND, particularly the week after UND struggled at home against BSU.

The Sioux need to get 6 pts in their remaining homes games to put some life into their season. If they do, they'll have a strong chance to finish in the top 3 and pass Mn in the standings. By then, it won't matter what Duluth does. A Wisconsin sweep of Mn will help. UND isn't the only team in a scoring slump. Minnesota's Ryan Potulny has 1 goal (The 9th goal (PPG) in the 9-6 win against Mankato at the Excel) in his last 10 games.

It's unlikely that 4-6 will change, given the remaining schedule, the real battle is for top 3 and bottom 3.

One more nit to pick, however, messed up my vcr and got just 30 minutes of the Goph/MDU second period on Sat. night. 3 goals, however, 2 for UMD, 1 for MN.

Some time after the MN goal FM mentioned an assist had been taken away from a Goph dman, and DW began complaining about it, which led to DW discussing the "always 2 assists" at Grand Forks topic, yet again. DW has a problem with the Sioux, not sure what it is, but he's usually talking about something Sioux, no matter who the Goph opponent is. Usually he brings up the Sioux having no offensive dman; thought he was going there Saturday night again, but cut it off at saying UMD has no offensive dman (at least on the 30 minutes I recorded).

Always think DW is funny in a bumbling sort of way, but can't figure out what his problem is.

It's like annual thing here....ripping on Dubay when he speculates about UND. I remember the outrage here when midway through the '03 season he said Minnesota would finish higher than UND by the end of the season. UND was rolling along at 9-1-3 in the conference (Gophers 6-4-3), but Dubay continued to say UND was a fraud. Turned out he was right.

What prediction has he made about UND that didn't come true?

It's like annual thing here....ripping on Dubay when he speculates about UND. I remember the outrage here when midway through the '03 season he said Minnesota would finish higher than UND by the end of the season. UND was rolling along at 9-1-3 in the conference (Gophers 6-4-3), but Dubay continued to say UND was a fraud. Turned out he was right.

What prediction has he made about UND that didn't come true?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks again for your comments Skippy.... :lol: