SiouxSports.com Forum

Digger Anderson

VandyRules

Flat out the kid can play. Since 1986 only one D-player has won the award. However, I believe with the success of the Sioux program in the past few years, and all the national awards Digger has already won he has to have a shot. His name is out there on the national scene, he has great stats/numbers, he plays for a successful program, it is obvious the kid is a special player. What else is needed to be considered as a candidate?

I too like the idea of Digger getting the award but lets be realistic. he maybe overall one of if not the best player in DII but the award has been given to a defensive player one time in its history (19 years). Along with that what about the HH older brother the John Heisman trophy. How many times has a defensive player won that award. 1 or 2 right, correct me if i am wrong please. Its all about how many TD's and yards you get during your career not how many tackles you get. I will say that if any Defensive player has any chance of getting the trophy it has to be Digger, like you said before the kid is amazing. Some of the plays he makes jumping over gaurds and makeing a tackle for a loss are unbelievable.

As good as he is it will still be close to impossible for him to acheive this award do to the fact that he does not play offence. So I say to the coaches, every time you are on the goal line put digger in and give him the TD, that will help his HH chances alot more. He deserves it!

2005 would be the year to do it if you really want to see a defensive player to win it. GVSU really won't have any big senior offensive players next year, our big star will probably be Astin Martin, but he probably won't have have the name recognition to do it, unless he puts up Gonzo numbers. Langston might be our picked choice one to campain for. Come to think of it, not a whole lot else left in the GLIAC either. About the only other big stars in the GLIAC coming back would be Kyle Kolbe out of Northwood, or Manara from Tech, and who knows how well his knee will hold up. Can you guys think of any guys from the NCC or NSIC that would likely to be up for the award??

Can you guys think of any guys from the NCC or NSIC that would likely to be up for the award??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Most of the best offensive talent in the NCC from this year returns. Look for Jamar Day from UNO, Stefan Logan from USD and Matt Birkel from SCSU to all be prime candidates.

Digger Anderson has to rank as one of the best linebackers ever to play in this program, and considering all the great LB's that have played here that says a lot. The first time I saw him in action, I knew he was special.

All that being said, the Harlon Hill is all about offensive stats and highlight reel plays. Defensive players are rarely considered. Ron McKinnon of North Alabama (and later, the Arizona Cardinals) in 1995 remains the only defensive player to win the award. If there was such a thing as a D-II Defensive Player of the Year award, I would campaign for Digger as much as possible. I think most people on this forum would as well.

All that matters is that Digger is wearing green and we'll be able to enjoy his exploits for another season.

No defensive only player has won the Heisman trophy. I don't believe Charles Woodson would have won it without his play at WR and as a return man.

A big problem I think Digger would have with getting Harlon Hill consideration is that I think the Sioux defense will have too many playmakers. I think his chances would be helped if the other LB's weren't so good resulting in Digger having to make more plays.

I think his chances would be helped if the other LB's weren't so good resulting in Digger having to make more plays.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ethanm,

I agree with you. This happened in 2003 to a certain extent. Our defense was inconsistent, especially early on. Digger really stood out from the rest of the players. In 2004, our defense was more consistent and Digger didn't stand out quite as much. More players were making more plays. They can give someone else the Harlon Hill if it means we'll contend for another National Title.

Especially the WILB combo of Dan U and Jake N who split time this past season. It's interesting if you make them into one full time player and compare their stats to Diggers. Solo's 51 (DA-52) , Total tack 90 (DA-104) , TFL 10 (DA-12) , Sacks 5 (DA-4) , Int 0 (DA-1) , Pass Brkup 2 (DA-1) , QBH 7 (DA-1) , Fum Rcv 4 (DA-0) , Forc Fum 2 (DA-1). "They" were one hell of LB last year!! It will be exiting to see how Ullsperger compares to Digger as a full time player next season. Digger is a tackling machine and Dan is becoming a little more of a "big play" guy. They very well could be the best ILB combo at UND in many, many years.

I am not knocking Digger as a player, he is exceptional, but it some credit has to be given to his defensive line as well as the scheme he plays in. In UND's defense, the d-line is responsible for taking 2 men and leaving the linebackers unblocked. I feel that without the support of guys like Shane D. and a defensive scheme that sends people from everywhere, that Digger would still be a great player but the stats would be on the same level as any good linebacker in the NCC.

I have to disagree with you on that point. I watch Digger play and he is consistantly being cut or chipped or whatever. Believe me every Offensive coach that UND plays knows where Digger is on every play, even if he is on the sideline standing next to the coachs on one of his five plays off a game. The kid also battles through injuries with the best of them. Did anybody watch him during the Pitt State game this year he couldnt even bend his legs. Constantly having to be helped up after just making a play. He is heads and shoulders above every other LB in the NCC.

• 3 weeks later...

Digger would probably make a serviceable safety in the NFL. I think he is too undersized to make it as a linebacker. He is undoubtedly one of, if not the best in DII, and would rank right up there even in DI. Kupe strikes me as Ben Olsen type player, dominating at this level with alot of potential, possibly a free agent rookie type player. I think Glas is just too inconsistent. He hasn't been the same this season after his injury. He possibly could have been a late round draft pick after his awesome sophomore season, but after this season I have "sporadic" confidence in him.

Didn't I hear that Glas had plant-leg knee surgery right after the season ended?

Wouldn't plant leg problems cause a kicker some consistency problems?

Back on topic, no disrespect intended to either, but Glas and Digger have about the same shot at being king of "The Hill". They don't play the "glamour" positions.

Back on topic, no disrespect intended to either, but Glas and Digger have about the same shot at being king of "The Hill". They don't play the "glamour" positions.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Glas... I agree. Digger... disagree. Digger has made ILB a "glamourous" position in his time at UND, and has sent waves across the D-II football community. His first name alone is a "buzzword" in the NCC, all based on his accomplishments at his position. I say he's qualified, and in the running.