SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 World Junior Championship

iluvdebbies

11 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

When are we going to stop having to watch underachieving USA teams in this tournament? With Russia essentially banned from the tournament for the foreseeable future, we are the best hope to prevent Canada from winning gold. We better step it up. :angry:

They won it in 2020

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sioux rube said:

They won it in 2020

Beat me to it lol. 2020-21, 16-17, 13-14, 09-10. Medaled in 18-19, 17-18, 15-16, 10-11.

So, since 2011 -- 4 golds, 1 silver, 3 bronze and 5 no medals. 

Not sure I'd consider that under-achieving in any shape or form, but a lot of people on here could LOL.

• Upvote 2

You know ... there's what I'll call the "Pecknold Scenario" lurking out there ... 

LAT took SUI to OT (got an OT point) and lost to USA 5-2. LAT has SVK and FIN left. 
USA just lost to SVK and has SUI and FIN left.

Imagine a scenario where USA stumbles twice and LAT picks off someone ... USA could end up in relegation. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

You know ... there's what I'll call the "Pecknold Scenario" lurking out there ... 

LAT took SUI to OT (got an OT point) and lost to USA 5-2. LAT has SVK and FIN left. 
USA just lost to SVK and has SUI and FIN left.

Imagine a scenario where USA stumbles twice and LAT picks off someone ... USA could end up in relegation. 

Care to wager? :)

4 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I'm hoping for a big bounce back today from the boys. Man, I wish Rand wasn't coaching this team lol.

SUI is not the team to be hoping for that against. 

Bubs and Dane are Canadians (and not being up there will never get a WJC coaching sniff); but, will USA Hockey ever give Karl Goehring a call even as an assistant? 

This tournament is the "top division".
Someone (assume AUT or LAT) will be relegated to "Division IA" and Norway has earned the right to play "top division" in 2024

This link defines the six tiers of IIHF Juniors play: Top, IA, IB, IIA, IIB, and III. 

As the tiers drop, what do they look like? Would IB look like the MN HS AA tourney? Would III look like late night UND intramurals? 

Does someone have a "____ tier would look like _____" reference? 

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

SUI is not the team to be hoping for that against. 

Bubs and Dane are Canadians (and not being up there will never get a WJC coaching sniff); but, will USA Hockey ever give Karl Goehring a call even as an assistant? 

If the US plays like they did against Finland, they'll be fine. It's only game three and still trying to gel. I'm hopeful. Some around here would say I'm always wearing rose colored glasses, however. I swear I won't bring up their xG ;)

He's very well connected, so I could definitely see it happening. If he's not a UND at the time and a HC elsewhere, I can definitely see it happening. 

3 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

If the US plays like they did against Finland, they'll be fine. It's only game three and still trying to gel. I'm hopeful. Some around here would say I'm always wearing rose colored glasses, however. I swear I won't bring up their xG ;)

He's very well connected, so I could definitely see it happening. If he's not a UND at the time and a HC elsewhere, I can definitely see it happening. 

If the USA team that played SVK shows up against SUI it'll not go well. And what is the USA xG ... :D 

If KG is a HC anywhere but UND I'll be displeased. 

Just now, The Sicatoka said:

If the USA team that played SVK shows up against SUI it'll not go well. And what is the USA xG ... :D 

If KG is a HC anywhere but UND I'll be displeased. 

Agreed. LOL I'm sure I could find it, but I better not!

KG and Jax are two incredible options. Will be interesting down the road.