SiouxSports.com Forum

Murray and Nikiforuk, Salmon Arm

sprig

After looking at the clips for Murray and Nikiforuk on Salmon Arm's site, asked the question whether Nikiforuk had an interest in a DI hockey scholarship. He is apparently entertaining the idea and looking at several possibilities, and the right fit.

Wonder if Blais and the Sioux are interested, or is the roster filled for next year?

Anyone know anything about this player? I haven't heard anything about him. I see he is second on the Shattuck team in points right now with 14 in 8 games. 3 goals and 11 assists. 6' 180# center according to the roster.

Leading scorer is Sydney Crosby with 18 points, the 15 year old phenom.

A few thoughts:

Sprig, your spartan writing style was easy to spot on the Salmon Arm board. I recall seeing somewhere that Nikiforuk had been in contact with Brown last year (hey, they beat SCSU), but that there has been interest from other schools (not named) this year.

Stafford is really young. He's 16, turning 17 in a few weeks. Do we know if this is for 2003 or 2004? That also makes his size even more impressive. Blais's recruiting in the last few years makes me wonder if perhaps his first few teams were filled with smurfs because that's what he could get at that time. Now, after the program's recent success and with the arena, he seems to have this image of a team with giant defensemen, generally big wings with a few small skill guys, and tiny goaltenders. That's fine with me as long as the big guys can get up and down the rink.

You know, I almost feel sorry for SSM's opponents.

Just imagine an opposing coach looking at SSM's roster:

"Glad that Parise guy is gone. Same for that Murray kid. No Porter. No Hirsch. Good, good. What do they have left on the roster this year? Let's see. Look out for that Smaby guy. He's big. Stafford's good. We'll have to watch him. Who's this Crosby guy? He any good?"

Sprig, your spartan writing style was easy to spot on the Salmon Arm board.  I recall seeing somewhere that Nikiforuk had been in contact with Brown last year (hey, they beat SCSU), but that there has been interest from other schools (not named) this year.

Spartan?? MSU?? Actually kinda like those guys because of their lack of success in the post season vs. the Sioux, going back to, ah, 1950's?? Ouch.

Believe Niki is probably headed east, looked like he is a quick little guy that can put the puck in the net, probably much like David Hoogsteen (as dagies mentioned). Guess the Sioux are filled up anyway :D

According to the Heisenberg recruits listings, Drew Stafford from Shattuck is coming to the Sioux next year.

Hammy has popped into the USCHO to let us all know, in his " I know more than anyone" :D style, that Stafford isn't that good. The "he's ok, he'll probably do well there, but we don't want him" (like whoever it was that picked MSU over MN) kind of comment. He suffers from enough Sioux envy that he may soon bleed green :p Apparently the gophs were not one of the teams on the list recruiting him, so Hammy can remain in his comfort zone for this one.

Hammy has popped into the USCHO to let us all know, in his " I know more than anyone" :D style, that Stafford isn't that good. The "he's ok, he'll probably do well there, but we don't want him" (like whoever it was that picked MSU over MN) kind of comment. He suffers from enough Sioux envy that he may soon bleed green :p Apparently the gophs were not one of the teams on the list recruiting him, so Hammy can remain in his comfort zone for this one.

Don't worry... I won't "poison" your board with my presence other than to respond to the above.

I guess certain people may want to get a sense of humor and quit being so sensitive to anything I write because it is making them delusional. If you'll notice on my posts on that thread on the USCHO, I wrote at the top "It is all tongue in cheek". In other words, I was only joking around.

I never said one intentionally bad word about Stafford in that whole thread. But I suppose looking at things through those green colored, Gopher hating glasses may make reading comprehension and syntax a little more difficult than it is for the average person.

Trust me, the only envy coming from me these days is envy of the lucky Gopher fans who will be in New Hampshire this weekend. Other than that..... We are plenty happy down here. Thanks for the concern though. ;)

Maybe Stafford gets all his points by throwing the puck in the general direction of Sidney Crosby.

:D

Someone who claims SSM connections noted on another board that Stafford centers his own line, separate from Crosby. Of course everything you read on the internet is true.

According to the Heisenberg recruits listings, Drew Stafford from Shattuck is coming to the Sioux next year.

Wow.... what a difference a year makes. A year ago at this time Stafford was, as a junior, playing on SSM's Midget AA team (equivilent of the Prep JV) and now, a year later, he's comitting to a top D1 school. Apparently he's made some big strides in the last 12 months...going from AA to AAA to the Select 17 to verballing to UND.

I wouldn't be surprised if he spends a year in the juniors next year. He's very young and a year in the USHL might be good from a development standpoint (ala Mr. Porter.)

I'm planning on going to some SSM games over the next two weekends so I'll check on Stafford and Smaby (and Crosby just for fun). :D