SiouxSports.com Forum

Let's see Jake

siouxhockey1101

Does any one know who Hakstol is starting in goal on Friday night? Also did he bring all three goalies on the trip or did he leave someone at home. I think it's time Brandt got a start in net. What are they gonna do if Phil or Jordan has a season ending injury. Brandt will be expected to come in and perform well. Hakstol has to play him soon. It's been a while since he had a start.

Great question, I am Phil Lamourex's BIGGEST fan and Jordan Parise's SMALLEST fan, but have nothing but good things about Jake. WHere hte hell has he been all year. Hes getting no playing time and seems like he mite not even be getting a chance. Forget about the "he sucks" stuff, he is a solid goalie who has proven his talent over the past years. Blais was never known as a good goalie coach but it looks like Hakstol picking up right where Blais left off "Jake and Phil Share Time in Leading Sioux to Final Five Victory"

Any coach will tell you that if a player is hot it would be crazy to not start him. Lammy has put up outstanding numbers right now and i feel the job is his to lose .941 save % and GAA under 2. That being said i am not comfortable at all when parise is in net, he goes down to much and scares the crap out of us leaving the net so far, but he has played well recently. I would say start lammy friday, and depending on how the offense and defense plays start brandt on saturday. Something else that has to be takin into consideration too, is how each goalie performs in practice. I think hakstol will be a lot better with the goalie situation.

Last weekend Lammy and JPar played good in my opinion. I would stay with that rotation. While some aren't confortable with JPar in net, I feel the same way about Brandt.

I would have to say that Lammy should get the start tonight he has earned it. Looking at the stats this year Lammy is in the top 10 in the NCAA. Thats pretty good since there are many great goaltenders in Division one hockey. Lammy has earned the starts based on his play and his numbers...

JPar isn't so scary if your remember Siembida. He's had some bad games... two to be exact. HOWEVER, Brandt's three goals vs. Minnesota were worse than JPar's by far. He didn't even see one of them. JPar is capable of some great saves and he's got a LONG way to go before he'll become a poor goaltender or even a mediocre one. He's not stellar. He's not Karl, Ed, or Phil. However, he's not Josh or any of the other duds to come through UND either.

JPar is a butterfly type goaltender. Could someone please post that goaltending thread on USCHO up here again? He is a bit aggressive, but saying that he leaves the net area too much is a bit much considering that, thus far, all of our goaltenders have that tendency. No one is calling Phil on that goal he gave up vs. SCSU where he came halfway out of the defensive zone. Goaltending is about playing the angles. I'm not going to lose faith in JPar until he totally loses it. He did well against SCSU and generally gives each game everything he's got. He's not a headcase like Siembida (who again looked awful recently for Quinnipiac) and actually brings things to the plate when it comes to defense.

Despite all this, I would like to see Brandt play at least once more before January, because if the Cansius series comes and goes without seeing Brandt in net, I highly doubt we'll see him at all until the senior game.

If Jake isn't playing on Friday, maybe we should start a chant..."WE WANT JAKE, WE WANT JAKE, ETC."  Maybe someone will hear us.  It sure is worth the effort.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I want Phil on Friday. The kid is a stud between the pipes.

Brandt's three goals vs. Minnesota were worse than JPar's by far. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I didn't see the game, but if memory serves correct, Brandt replaced Parise. Never an easy task for a goaltender, and normally it fires up the team a little. I think in that game it was obvious that the team didn't start playing any better.

True enough, the team didn't exactly help Brandt, but Brandt's trio were just ugly.

I have been saying that the past is the past and that Jake should get a shot, but it's pretty certain that his role as the go-to guy in the Sioux goalie rotation has come to an end. Phil has that distinction now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I totally agree that Phil is #1, but I still feel the senior needs be given another game or two.

I totally agree that Phil is #1, but I still feel the senior needs be given another game or two.

Guess that is what I was trying to say earlier. Jake is a good goalie and I wonder if he had had the same opportunities as JPar, where he would he be today in the rotation.

Give him a chance to fail or succeed.

Guess that is what I was trying to say earlier. Jake is a good goalie and I wonder if he had had the same opportunities as JPar, where he would he be today in the rotation.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have nothing against Brandt, but it seems to me that he is getting the same chance as the other two every week in practice. And practice performance has to count for something. It is no big secret at UND that if you want to play during games you have to play well during the practices leading up to games.

DH was pretty clear last week when he said that JB is still in the mix but was not performing at the same level as JP and PL in practice.

As a fan who wants to see UND successful, it is hard to argue with the results over the last four games.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Sioux are in no position to mix up their goalie rotation right now. I realize the season isn't even half over, but they simply can't afford any let downs the next two series. These are league games and all of the other teams that matter have games in hand on the Sioux. Winning the next 4 games puts UND back in the hunt for the league title after many had written them off. We need to ride the hot goaltender right now. If Hakstol feels he needs to get Jake some ice time, do it against someone like Canisius.

By the way, anyone have a injury report on Murray?

OK, I didn't post this earlier, because it's kind of a heresay. My mom talked to some friends of Brandt. Or more likely friends of the family. Apparently Brandt has told them not to expect him to play to much this year and he said this a while ago. Read into it what you want.

I've always thought that maybe something was going on between him and the coaching staff. But I don't see practice and have no idea about his relationship with the staff, so it just seems to me like he isn't being given a fair chance. I thought for sure he would have played a game this past weekend.

I would also like to see Brandt play more. He didn't have a very good start, but he should be given another try. I can't say much though, because I don't watch practices. But I also would like to see him more because it's his senior year.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Here is my question to Sioux fans, I am not picking a fight I am trying to understand the logic:

1. Why should Hak chance it and take Lammy and Jordon out of the line up to give Brandt another chance. I am not saying he should never play but both have done well in my opinion. Lammy obviously done better. I could see Brandt playing against Canisus.

2. In the past others have criticized the coaching staff for having 3 goalie rotation where no one gets confortable.

3. The early season loses have put UND behind the 8 ball and now they are starting to gell and win game be it games they should win. UND really can't afford to lose many more games and take chances with the play in game.

Here is my question to Sioux fans, I am not picking a fight I am trying to understand the logic:

1. Why should Hak chance it and take Lammy and Jordon out of the line up to give Brandt another chance. I am not saying he should never play but both have done well in my opinion. Lammy obviously done better. I could see Brandt playing against Canisus.

2. In the past others have criticized the coaching staff for having 3 goalie rotation where no one gets confortable.

3. The early season loses have put UND behind the 8 ball and now they are starting to gell and win game be it games they should win. UND really can't afford to lose many more games and take chances with the play in game.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think Brandt was given a fair shot. Plus, we were playing Tech this weekend. Best chance for Brandt to play and in comes Parise again. Now you are talking about not playing Brandt for like 2 months. For a goalie that has done quite well for us, it just seems like he's being thrown away. Yes Lammy has established the #1, but I like the experience of Brandt and I don't think he's been given a shot at #2.

Interesting that Sioux hockey should be a welfare state or entitlement program to certain people. Hakstol, as Blais before him, plays the people who work to earn the position. Coming into the season, Brandt's job was his to lose. Well, he lost it. If he's as good as he should be at this stage of his career, he wouldn't be wearing a tie on game night. ???