SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX VS CC SATURDAY NIGHT...

AZSIOUX

Thanks. Because I didn't just sit here and listen to the whole Sioux game and pull for them the whole time.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You are one UMD fan, and you have already had at least one UND fan cheer for UMD. You can't expect every Sioux fan to want UMD to win. :silly:

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are one UMD fan, and you have already had at least one UND fan cheer for UMD. You can't expect every Sioux fan to want UMD to win. :silly:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah but they could have just kept it to themselves. I mean, I sat and listened to the whole Sioux-CC game, and supported the team, so it would have been nice. I didn't say "Go CC" or anything.

Good game Lammy! Lots of nice stops and the one goal that went he had no chance on.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He did stop the wrap around attempt, but the rebound got redirected in off Green's skate. Lammy was the difference in the game. He definitely deserves the start in Madison.

I wanted to pass out Kudos to a handful of players for their performances this weekend:

Kyle Radke, whose improvement from 3 weeks ago is startling. As the dude said in Matrix, "He's beginning to believe." Confidence really starting to show in his play, the game seems to be slowing down. Not up to say, Andy Schneider's level of play yet, but settling in to some quality time. Also showing flashes of brilliance on the powerplay.

Chris Porter, for consistent hustle. Combining his size and speed is a rare gift, and his physical presence seemed to intimidate CC at times ... guys getting rid of the puck too quickly and ducking the check ...

Rory McMahon, for excellent two-way play, and for winning a sh$#load of important faceoffs.

Philippe Lamoureaux, as a lot have noted.

I was pleasantly surprised at the refereeing of Zelkin this weekend. After getting hopes dashed on numerous occassions in the past that a new ref might be better than the old, I have to give him A LOT of credit for calling the games fairly this weekend.

For those who didn't see the games in person, I would characterize the ref-style as "last years definition of penalties". Which I am just fine with, and which frankly should help the Sioux when facing a speedy non-physical team like CC.

HOWEVER, I wonder whether that will hurt us NEXT weekend. Going into Madison, unless Zelkin is the ref (and he hasn't been disciplined by his boss for not calling enough ticky-tack stuff), I would not be surprised if the Sioux fill up the penalty box by doing the same things that they did this weekend. I just have this sinking feeling that we'll take 7-8 penalties in the first period Friday and dig a big hole that we cant quite get out of. I hope to be wrong.

Rory McMahon, for excellent two-way play, and for winning a sh$#load of important faceoffs.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Genoway was dominant in the faceoff circle, too. He and McMahon both deserve props because they've stepped up and they're playing like seniors.

Genoway was dominant in the faceoff circle, too. He and McMahon both deserve props because they've stepped up and they're playing like seniors.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

These two players have really stepped it up. Fuher also played pretty well this weekend, at both positions. McMahon was probably the best player on the ice this weekend.

I don't know if I would agree the Sioux are off to a "crappy" start. The ties against kato and NU sucked, but losses to MN, BC, and CC are not much to worry about IMO. MN is probably the best team in the country right now. BC and CC are both very good teams. It looks like the WCHA race is going to be closer than most (including myself) predicted. I think MN, CC, UND, UMD and WI are going to be a very tight 1-5. I haven't seen Denver play yet, but it sounds like they could be right up there also.

Personally I would rather split with MN, CC and take 3/4 from kato than get swept by AA :silly: I would also rather take 1 out of 4 points from BC/NU than 1/4 from Vermont :angry: Running into hot goalies sucks, doesn't it Dog fans ;)

These two players have really stepped it up.  Fuher also played pretty well this weekend, at both positions

Were you at the games??? He DID NOT play well at forward. Better Saturday night.

McMahon was probably the best player on the ice this weekend

Agree with you, he is definately playing well.

I had a good time at the games this weekend.

We don't seem to see it too often around here anymore because UND has been churning out early departures to the professional leagues, but sometimes a player reaches his senior year and really steps his game up. The first player who really struck me with his senior dominance was Chris Jensen in the mid-80s. He was a very good player throughout his career, but as a senior he ruled the rink on every shift. Jeff Panzer was a terrific junior, but his senior year he too took it to another level; just watch the final game of his career (if you can take the pain) and watch him set up good scoring chances every shift.

Other times the step-up comes from a player who was not previously a star. The best recent example for me is Tim Skarperud, who went from a role player on the third and fourth lines to a first-line forward who finished as one of the WCHA's top five scorers. Jason Ulmer is a similar story.

This year UND may be fortunate enough to have two players make the senior jump, Genoway and McMahon. Genoway put the numbers up last year, but I wasn't a believer, based on my limited viewings. Having watched him this weekend, I am beginning to come around. He is big, smooth and calm. He seems very comfortable on the PP point, which is a big reason why the PP looked as good at times this weekend as I have seen in a few years. He had one unfortunate pass in the offensive zone on Friday that turned into the rush that tied the game, but mostly he is making good decisions (usually the simple, safe choice) with the puck. I noticed they are using Genoway to bring the puck through the neutral zone to establish offensive zone possession on the PP, relying on his good decision-making.

I had heard McMahon had been one of UND's best players so far this year, but again I wasn't convinced. I thought: oh, he must be checking particularly well. I'm coming around here as well. I don't expect a player to add another gear in the speed department at this age, but McMahon seems quicker than I recall. As with Genoway, when he is heading to the corner for a 1-on-1 battle for the puck, I fully expect him to come away with it.

Other notes: I agree on Porter's unusual mix of size and speed, but I have to add that his size is not just "measured" size. There are plenty of guys with his size on paper, but few that are so solid. He is a brick shouthouse on skates. He absolutely splattered Mark Stuart behind the net once, and that is a guy not easily rocked.

I also agree on Zelkin. I would gladly have him officiate every Sioux game for the rest of the season. We commented on his style Saturday, even after the 5-on-3's. We actually got to watch hockey as we knew it. One funny moment: Zelkin called a penalty on CC with about five minutes left on Saturday. The CC player held his hands up, gestured to the scoreboard, and said, "There are only five minutes left!?" As in, how can you call a penalty in the last five minutes? Mostly I thought Zelkin let them play, but I also thought the play was cleaner than last year, so he didn't need to call as many penalties. I also thought his resume, the one with NHL games on it, carried a lot of weight with the players, as he was definitely in charge of the rink at all times.

When CC was called for "holding the stick" one new fan behind me commented: "How can he play without holding his stick? Everyone's holding their stick." Her friend let her know the penalty was for holding the Other Guy's stick.

It must be a source of great pride for McMahon, Prpich and Schneider to kill 5-on-3's. They killed the first one, then stayed out after the whistle and killed the second one.

I expected Murray and Stafford to be the team's best forwards this year, and they will need to be very good for the team to make any real noise. Murray obviously can't help it right now, but Stafford has not been at the level I expected. What made Stafford special last year was a burst of speed that seemed out of synch with his size. A few times each game, it would allow him to gain an advantage on an unsuspecting opponent. I didn't see that burst this weekend, but it could have been me. I'm glad he put in the GWG Saturday, but really, that play was Genoway beating his man on the faceoff.

I'd also like to see more from other upperclassmen like Fylling and Massen. Note to any offended parties: I freely acknowledge that I don't know what I'm talking about. Just commenting on what I see.

I was not surprised to see Bina sit on Saturday because I thought he got beat in his own zone a few times Friday. I know he is small, but he has to be able to win those physical battles to be an effective defenseman. Overall I'm still a big supporter of Bina, as I like the skills he brings to the rink, and I like it when he surprises bigger guys who suddenly find themselves on the ice looking up at the hobbit.

I also thought Prpich was not particularly effective Friday, but everything that he wasn't on Friday, he was on Saturday. I thought he had a great game.

Overall, I think this team will be good enough to beat anyone at the end of the year, but I don't think they'll necessarily be favored against some teams. Maybe a national 6-10 kind of team. The difficult thing will be surviving a super-tough WCHA. Remember that Denver barely qualified for the national tournament last year. It's a little unfortunate that UND has all these tough conference games early, while they're still adjusting to the officiating and suffering through a few injuries. But that's the way it is, and they will need to win enough along the way to be there at the end.

This year UND may be fortunate enough to have two players make the senior jump, Genoway and McMahon.  Genoway put the numbers up last year, but I wasn't a believer, based on my limited viewings.  Having watched him this weekend, I am beginning to come around.  He is big, smooth and calm.  He seems very comfortable on the PP point, which is a big reason why the PP looked as good at times this weekend as I have seen in a few years.  He had one unfortunate pass in the offensive zone on Friday that turned into the rush that tied the game, but mostly he is making good decisions (usually the simple, safe choice) with the puck.  I noticed they are using Genoway to bring the puck through the neutral zone to establish offensive zone possession on the PP, relying on his good decision-making. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

jk,

I agree about Genoway. Just think. This guy came to UND as a 17 year old. Because he had played 3 games in juniors he had to miss a year of college hockey. So he is now a senior and he still is not old enough to have a beer. He is just starting to come into his own as a hockey player. One fault he may have is he likes to pass so much that sometime he passes rather than shoots. That worked well last year when he played with a guy like bochenski who could bury the puck but this year we seem to be missing that sniper.

But I think Genoway will only get better this year and even the next 2-3 years if he gets a chance in the pros. Most players don't reach their prime until 24-26 years old. He's only 20 now so he has some developing to do.