SiouxSports.com Forum

Records / streaks

jimdahl

They shut out SCSU in the second half. Whether they are playing horrible offenses or not, this defense is very, very good. They've given up 47 points (I refuse to recognize the Augie TD :() this year. The first team defense hasn't given up a single point at home since Delta State. They've played 16 straight quarters of shutout football at the Alerus.

They shut out SCSU in the second half.

And Ferris St. (whose RB had set the all-time single game rushing record the week before) for an entire game. Sure, the Sioux aren't shutting out GVSU (yet :(), but we're also not giving up points to Montana Tech. It's very hard not to give up some points even to the worst team, so to run that long a shutout streak is absolutely amazing. If it weren't, other teams would be doing it all the time, too.

the scoreless streak is quite impressive- even though UCW, Mesa, and Duluth are pretty bad, it is very easy for a D to give up points in garbage time which UND hasn't done- it will take a special team to win the Alerus- which I don't think exists in the NW region

Shutouts are never easy. Not only does the defense have to play great, but you have to be somewhat fortunate in not giving up any defensive or special teams scores. That blocked punt by UMD could easily have been a td had the ball bounced a little differently. I also think it's significant that none of the three teams UND has shut out has been shut out by anybody else this season. It's tough to do much better than UND's scoring defense of just 7.71 points per game, which will rank the Sioux number 1 in the nation in that category when the new stats come out this week.

Speaking of that blocked punt, it could have easily been a touchdown if the Duluth player would have had the sense to pick it up and run it in instead of just diving on it. Even if the Sioux would have recovered it, it would have been Duluth's ball anyway, why not pick it up and run with it? I guess it is so engrained in the brain to dive on a loose ball that it is hard to separate it with a blocked punt.

To this point, is this the best UND defense ever, or at least the best one in the Thomas/Lennon era? The last three regular season games will likely determine how this defense stacks up all-time, but I don't think a Sioux defense has ever played better over the first seven games of a season. Even the 1999 and 2001 teams had games in which they gave up 28 points in a game by this point in the season. I know the competition level is not necessarily the same now as it was then, but any way you slice it this defense has been incredible thus far.

To this point, is this the best UND defense ever, or at least the best one in the Thomas/Lennon era?  The last three regular season games will likely determine how this defense stacks up all-time, but I don't think a Sioux defense has ever played better over the first seven games of a season.  Even the 1999 and 2001 teams had games in which they gave up 28 points in a game by this point in the season.  I know the competition level is not necessarily the same now as it was then, but any way you slice it this defense has been incredible thus far.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

2nd half SCSU, Ferris and UMD is 10 straight quarters of shutout ball !! that is impressive ay any level of football !!

I think the shutout streak is much more impressive than Pitt State scoring all those points.

To echo what another poster said..a fumble here, an interception there, a punt return, etc.

Defense wins championships. You might be on your way to visit me in December. :( Still a lot of football to play.

Good luck in the coming weeks. I can't wait to see the regional playoffs for NW/SW. There should be some excellent games.

So by my count, as of today's win:

205 minutes and 36 seconds of home shutout

3 consecutive home shutout games

15 game home winning streak incl. playoffs

If I have the time of the field goal right, the home shutout streak ended at 238:44, 3 games.

Home winning streak TBD, but looks safe for now.