SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Scouting in their backyard

SiouxMeNow

Saw Dale Lennon, Tim Belmore, and Mike Mansausau at the GF Central game tonight...and I'm guessing they just weren't killing time waiting for Delta Saturday. Central is loaded with very good athletes....Chappelle, Marto, et al. Me thinks they're mining some local talent and good for them. UND should cultivate local kids! It's great to see a ND-centered University looking for in-state kids to succeed on the collegiate level rather than a self-centered (AA) university looking for any advantage they can get to make up for their (former) DYNASTY status...

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have heard that UND is very interested in Chappell. He may be this year's version of Dressler in terms of what kinds of numbers he'll put up barring injury. He's got some serious wheels as he's already the overall state record holder in the 300 hurdles and is also one of the best 110 hurdlers ever in the state. He's definitely not big, but he's an excellent prospect nevertheless. There's no question in my mind that he's the best skill position kid in ND this year.

It's actually a pretty good year for area prospects. The Mertens kid from EGF is very talented, along with Wahlin from Crookston, Oksendahl from Cavalier and Lee, the 6'5", 315 pound all-state lineman from Park River. I'm sure there are probably others but those are the ones I'm aware of off the top of my head.

I have heard that UND is very interested in Chappell. He may be this year's version of Dressler in terms of what kinds of numbers he'll put up barring injury. He's got some serious wheels as he's already the overall state record holder in the 300 hurdles and is also one of the best 110 hurdlers ever in the state. He's definitely not big, but he's an excellent prospect nevertheless. There's no question in my mind that he's the best skill position kid in ND this year.

It's actually a pretty good year for area prospects. The Mertens kid from EGF is very talented, along with Wahlin from Crookston, Oksendahl from Cavalier and Lee?, the big lineman from Park River. I'm sure there are probably others but those are the ones I'm aware of off the top of my head.

Good points, UND 92,96. Mertens from EGF, Chappell from GFC, and Wahlin from Crookston are all excellent athletes with great potential for the college game. Another probable recruit from EGF is their WR Nate Rambeck. Sounds like he has a good understanding of the game(route-running, etc.) Those are just a few that stand out at this point, I know there are more. Should be plenty of local talent for UND to choose from this year, which is nice to see.

NDSU recruits in state athletes first. Bohl has said this numerous times.

Basically, UND recruits anyone that NDSU is recruiting. Standard operating procedure.

Isn't there enough UND vs. NDSU smack already without you injecting it into a thread in which the acronym "NDSU" had yet to be written? ???

Isn't there enough UND vs. NDSU smack already without you injecting it into a thread in which the acronym "NDSU" had yet to be written? ???

I hate to point fingers, and I do appreciate your calm demeanor 92,96, but the thread did start with this

It's great to see a ND-centered University looking for in-state kids to succeed on the collegiate level rather than a self-centered (AA) university looking for any advantage they can get to make up for their (former) DYNASTY status...

On a side note

UND 42

Mesa 7 :(

At the risk of repeating myself ....

What surprises me is that NDSU fans have so much time to worry about a (quote: Fargo Forum) "minor league" (end quote) football program like UND. Shouldn't Bison fans be over on Bisonville discussing glorious battles against no scholarships Valpo and NAIA Montana Tech and DII Carson-Newman?

Why not knock this smacky s&!t off and have a legit discussion about recruiting....what the hell is the point of a statement like...

It's great to see a ND-centered University looking for in-state kids to succeed on the collegiate level rather than a self-centered (AA) university looking for any advantage they can get to make up for their (former) DYNASTY status...

Let's discuss recruiting with out the bull$%!#!

I seen there was another Dressler in the boxscore from when they in town on Friday night, what does anyone know about him.....related to UND's RS freshmen..as talented/as fast?

I'm pretty sure it's Weston's brother, but at least at this point, he's not anywhere near the player or as fast. I think he's a junior.

Mertens is getting looks all over. Wisconson is interested, and Duluth is big on him. I think he will go to UND if he goes DII. But my personal opinion he is a little better then DII. He's been compared to Bollinger, good arm, and great sense of the game. Rambeck, well if this was fantasy football would to a SLEEPER pick. Very impressed with him as a receiver. Both are also very good in basketball which were Rambeck's future might be in.

NDSU recruits in state athletes first. Bohl has said this numerous times.

Basically, UND recruits anyone that NDSU is recruiting. Standard operating procedure.

Sorry punk. Wrong again. Since UND won the 2001 National Championship all the coaches from the local area colleges have had to wait in line behind UND for the athletes they are going after. Even a D-1 school has to wait......I mean 1aa. That so far has played a team that the North Dakota School for the Deaf and Blind would hang 50 on.

• 4 weeks later...

I think you misunderstood B...1234...Unless I'm mistaken, he didn't mean that NDSU recruits first, UND second, he meant that NDSU recruits in state first, out of state second...completely different contexts...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually...i think he was referring to the 2nd part of the post...where comes off as if he's saying "once NDSU start recruiting a player, thats when UND starts recruiting them."

There was an article in the Herald today about Mertens and Rambeck, and it said both are being recruited by UND, NDSU and UMD. 

Also, I have heard UND has a very good shot at signing Ryan Chappell.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nate and i played a couple softball tournaments together this summer...he said he definitely wants to go to UND, however NDSU is still an option. He said UMD isn't even on his list.

As for the allure of a higher level vs winning vs full rides, I suspect it's a little of all...Georgia Southern built national championship teams by recruiting kids who would have ridden the bench at DI-A's or who would have started at DII's and giving them full rides at a DI-AA...hard to argue with their success...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would agree with the allure of a higher NCAA division argument if we were talking about a school like Georgia Southern or Montana who was playoff-eligible, in a conference where several of the members were not looking to move out as soon as possible, and which had a history of recent I-AA success. However, as it pertains to this particular thread in which we are talking about kids quite literally in UND's own backyard, I really don't think NDSU has any advantage over UND EXCEPT for the scholarship advantage, which admittedly is significant. If UND goes I/I-AA fairly soon as most probably expect, then the two will be back on even scholarship ground within a few years and these points will again be moot.