SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Scouting in their backyard

SiouxMeNow

I also think that some of that will be mediated by whether or not UND moves up.  I've heard both sides of the argument, but I don't see it happening with the current president....anyway, fun stuff to think about in a good year for both schools so far!!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's what I originally thought regarding Kupchella, but I have since learned that he does listen to those working under him, and if football scholarships are indeed cut as expected, you can bet that Roger Thomas will tell him that UND has no real choice but to move or risk a significant regression of the football program. Since this scholarship cut looks inevitable, I fully expect that the wheels are in motion for a move by UND to dI/I-AA within 2-3 years.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's what I originally thought regarding Kupchella, but I have since learned that he does listen to those working under him, ....

Dr. Kupchella is a manager who surrounds himself with the best and trusts them to do what is best. (He also holds them accountable.)

Dr. Phil Harmeson is the Senior Associate to Dr. Kupchella and is UND's NCAA Faculty Athletics Representative. Dr. Harmeson is intimately involved in UND Athletics as the FAR. (When the hiring process decisions were being made to replace Dean Blais as head hockey coach Dr. Kupchella, Roger Thomas, and Dr. Harmeson were in the room. That's how involved he is.)

Dr. Harmeson is very aware of the ever changing NCAA landscape around him as well, and thinking (dare I say thinking very big) about how it could influence and affect UND as evidenced by [url="http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=68051

The day will come when Harmeson and Thomas will recommend that UND make a move. However, that recommendation will come when it is best for the University of North Dakota. That's how Dr. Harmeson operates (and those are the folks Dr. Kupchella surrounds himself with).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I certainly can't disagree with that. A couple of dates to keep in mind:

January 10, 2005--Vote on proposed dII football scholarship cut from 36 to 24.

August 1, 2006--Effective date of cut (if resolution passes).

My guess? If the above-described resolution passes, look for an announcement from UND within 6 months after January 10, 2005.

but how can you move up, you don't have a conference, you'd be doomed, doomed i say

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What are you talking about, we'll have the Great West! :D Seriously, my guess is either both UND and NDSU will get into the Big Sky, or neither will. In which case, at least you'll have company in your dI independent purgatory, and we'll both have the Nickel to play for again!

What are you talking about, we'll have the Great West! :D Seriously, my guess is either both UND and NDSU will get into the Big Sky, or neither will. In which case, at least you'll have company in your dI independent purgatory, and we'll both have the Nickel to play for again!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

what is SDSU, chopped liver?

what is SDSU, chopped liver?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I guess I don't see how what I wrote can be construed as a slam at SDSU. Among the schools mentioned as interested in the Big Sky, plus UND if they have also expressed interest, I just think it's not a stretch to speculate that UND and NDSU would be the two top choices. That doesn't mean SDSU wouldn't get in as well, if three schools were added, but if you think that SDSU would get in OVER UND, I would vehemently disagree.

SDSU does have something to offer the sky that neither UND or NDSU can offer in their bball teams.

I hate to tell you, but the Sky doesn't have hockey as a conference sport. Not to put down the WCHA or anything, but the SKY isn't going to care about your hockey program or the REA.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, that was pointless now wasn't it Igor!!! :D

feldman.jpg

SDSU does have something to offer the sky that neither UND or NDSU can offer in their bball teams.

I hate to tell you, but the Sky doesn't have hockey as a conference sport. Not to put down the WCHA or anything, but the SKY isn't going to care about your hockey program or the REA.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

SDSU has a good basketball program by dII standards, but in case you haven't been paying attention lately that success hasn't translated into post-season success in recent years. In terms of overall accomplishments as a basketball program, UND and SDSU are very comparable. UND and SDSU both have 8 region titles (men's). NDSU has none. In terms of the women's programs, SDSU won one title, but are well behind UND and NDSU in that regard and in conference titles. In terms of hockey, it's significant due to the revenue stream in produces and the fact that basketball is also played at REA so the arena itself would likely be very interesting to a potential conference.

Basketball tradition? Where's my picture of UND star (and future NBA player and coach) Phil Jackson standing between UND coaches (and future NBA Finals coaches) Jimmy Rodgers and Bill Fitch? It must be with my Jerome Beasley picture. :) However, DII BB success won't mean diddley-squat at the DI level (especially with all the probations).

And, naw, a conference wouldn't care about an arena complex with build in satellite uplink television capabilities (including a control room), for both the main (Ralph) and secondary (Betty) arenas. A football stadium with uplink capabilities in it wouldn't matter either I guess.

But like I said in a different thread here:

Then again, maybe the BSC isn't the right place for UND. Maybe UND should look at conferences that have schools with three major revenue producing areas: basketball, football, and hockey. With all the recent and potential shake-ups in conference alignments who knows what may be out there in the not-so-distant future.

Roehl is a FB, not a HB, and a good one too.

I thought the reason that the Betty was built was so that hockey could have the REA since it's not very good for bball.

Neither a satillite uplink nor a control room is an important thing to have built into a venue as most TV stations have portable trucks that they take with them.

I thought the reason that the Betty was built was so that hockey could have the REA since it's not very good for bball.

It's too big for most basketball games since it seats about 12,000, but as for whether it's any good for basketball, the NCAA must have been pretty impressed since the men's Elite 8 is there this year.

Neither a satillite uplink nor a control room is an important thing to have built into a venue as most TV stations have portable trucks that they take with them.

The cameras built into the facility must not matter either then. :)

You're telling me just having to send game announcers (and not having to send a truck and a camera crew and production crew, or having to arrange an uplink frequency) doesn't matter to folks looking to broadcast a game? It's about the facilites and what they provide. Not having to lug all that stuff to a game-site matters to broadcasters (meaning lower production costs).

PS - The 13280 in The Ralph for basketball (Kansas at North Dakota) seemd "OK" with the place for that game.

Sicatoka,

Do you have any examples of a college athletics program whose television coverage at more than a local level, is covered by broadcasters using the equipment provided by the facility?

It would seem if they did so that they no longer would have control of their broadcast. Would they have to bring along their own camera crew? I would think that they would have a strong preference to using their own equipment. How about the editing equipment? Would the crew be familiar with it? Aren't the camera crews provided by WDAZ? That might cause a conflict of interest with other networks.

Fox Sports didn't seem to have a problem getting the UNC/NDSU game on national TV, and I doubt that Nottingham Field has the same capabilities as the Alerus or Fargodome for TV production.

Saw Dale Lennon, Tim Belmore, and Mike Mansausau at the GF Central game tonight...and I'm guessing they just weren't killing time waiting for Delta Saturday.  Central is loaded with very good athletes....Chappelle, Marto, et al.  Me thinks they're mining some local talent and good for them.  UND should cultivate local kids!  It's great to see a ND-centered University looking for in-state  kids to succeed on the collegiate level rather than a self-centered (AA) university looking for any advantage they can get to make up for their (former) DYNASTY status...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow, another dumb comment from a dumb sioux fan. Are all those hockey players

from North dakota?

Sicatoka,

Do you have any examples of a college athletics program whose television coverage at more than a local level, is covered by broadcasters using the equipment provided by the facility?

I'm pretty sure all CSTV sent to Grand Forks last year for Boston College at North Dakota hockey as the national game of the week was on-air guys. I believe they did their own production (which shots to show when) but used the normal arena camera crews.

Having the built in capabilities allows for one other item that you guys brought up, and must be important because NDSU just did this with Bohl's show: having direct control over broadcast content.