SiouxSports.com Forum

Go To The Game!

fightin'su

AND this ain't no Crookston pushover to start the season!!! TURN OUT!! Delta is a nationally ranked team who (hopefully) hasn't dialed up UNA to find out what playing indoors to a big crowd is like. Lets get the season off to a ROCKING START!!! Show up early...tailgate...then lets show the Statesmen a thing or two about ND FOOTBALL!!!

This is one of the biggest games of the season!!! Whether you want us to go DI-AA or stay DII, this is a huge season for us. If you want us to stay DII, we need to stay a national contender to show the head of UND that DII is where we belong to compete. At the same time, if you want UND to go DI-AA we need to have a huge season and make a run for the national championship. No matter if you want DII or DI-AA, this has to be a huge season for us not only as a football team but as a crowd and UND supporters!!!!!!!!!!!!! Get everyone you know to show up for every single game UND has in ALL SPORTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HEY, it's all about the AL, and if you haven't seen it, it is worth the while to travel up to GF and see it. No matter what you read about it, it is the nicest DII football stadium ever (even whith the far-blow dome). Once UND gets their SIOUX TRADITION area in there, it is going to be one of the nicest college stadiums ever!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree, boys. This is the most meaningful season opener that UND has seen in many years. Its always been UMC and Moorhead St. in the past. I will truly be pissed off if the fans dont come out for this one. You can count on one thing for sure.........that I'll be there with bells on in the tailgating areas at about 8:30. Should be a great game, and I am excited as hell. Everyone get your rear-ends out the game, and kick your buddies in ass to get there as well.

"Get er' Done", Dale

GO SIOUX!!!!!!!!

I have inlaws coming for the weekend. Anyone know if the game will be on the UND sports channel?

no...only televised game this season will be UND v. Mn. Duluth...it is available on webcast but otherwise no tv....local SIOUX FANS WILL HAVE TO TURNOUT...unless you want to squint at a monitor and pay for it.

HEY, it's all about the AL, and if you haven't seen it, it is worth the while to travel up to GF and see it. No matter what you read about it, it is the nicest DII football stadium ever (even whith the far-blow dome). Once UND gets their SIOUX TRADITION area in there, it is going to be one of the nicest college stadiums ever!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you serious? The Alerus sucks, and I miss the days of watching games OUTDOORS at Memorial Stadium. Also, while I'm not a huge fan of the FargoDome either, it's much nicer than the Alerus, which is only slightly nicer than the Dakota Dome in Vermillion. I don't want to be negative, but get real.

Think what you want about the alerus. I love it. It may not be a 110,000 seat stadium on campus, but it sure beats memorial stadium. That place was a dump and in need of some serious work. Although, in 35 years when I am a multi-millionair, I am going to build UND a 50,000 seat stadium on campus. I already have the blueprints for it!! ???

If you say that I have to be a multi-billionair then I will. I want to be the Ralph Engelstad of football. Can't you imagine UND playing on a football field made entirely of imported Italian granite with brass inlay? :( But it will be the nicest football stadium in the country facilities wise. By then the fargodome will be a pile of bricks that the bison will be stuck playing in. Oh wait, it already is. ???

As far as students showing up on saturday, UND has done absolutely no advertising for this game. But simply because it is the first game I know there will be a good turnout of students. The older students will want to get to the first game and the new freshman will definately be there in numbers just to see what UND football is like.

DaveK,

Amen! The only bad thing about Memorial Stadium was the artificial turf. Michigan Stadium is no work of art...it's old and you are packed in like sardines on a hot summer day...or snuggled up when it's 30 degrees outside. But the atmosphere is what makes it. The Alerus Center is Grand Forks' Metrodome. Yawn.

Although I definitely have a soft spot in my heart for Memorial, I don't miss the metal and wood bench bleachers and decrepit bathrooms. The Alerus isn't perfect, but I think Dale Lennon would be the first to acknowledge that it has helped recruiting, and there's no denying that two of the three seasons played there have been the two most successful in UND football history.

I agree the metal and wood bleachers at Memorial weren't the best and the bathrooms did suck. But rather than building the Alerus, that money would have been better spent renovating Memorial. Bring back the real grass, put up lights, install a jumbotron, replace the bleachers with more comfortable seats and add more seating behind the endzones, but keep the same classic look on the outside. If the Alerus had a retractable roof I wouldn't mind it so much, but I would still prefer the building structure of Memorial. It just has that classic old-school look.

Granted, two of the first three years at the Alerus happened to be the best in UND football history. But it's rather short-sighted to think it's because of the venue. NDSU had their best years at Dakotah Field, but they've been mediocre ever since moving into the Fargodome. UND would have had great teams in 2001 and 2003 no matter where they played their home games. The players made those teams great, not the building.

There's probably not much of a point to this debate since the proverbial train has left the station and UND football will likely be playing in the Alerus for the remainder of our lifetimes. However, a couple of points in response to your post. First, it's not like the money that paid for the Alerus could have been used for something else. Money to refurbish Memorial would have to have come from either the state (highly unlikely) or through donations. It was unlikely in either case.

As for what role the Alerus had in the 2001 and 2003 seasons, it's really unprovable either way whether it greatly helped or helped very little. However, especially as it pertains to last year, there were probably some key players who would not necessarily have come to UND had the Sioux still played at Memorial. Facilities do make a difference in many cases, and Memorial really was not a recruiting asset. The best source of information on this would, of course, be Dale Lennon, and I believe he's on record as saying that the Alerus has helped recruiting.