SiouxSports.com Forum

WJ Evaluation Camp

sprig

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw both games on Tuesday and I agree with most of what shmittydog said already.

I was VERY impressed with the Swedish goalie Lindberg and was wondering if he's the son of former Flyer goalie, Pelle Lindbergh? I realize the spelling in the program had it as Lindberg, but I also noticed inside the Ralph an ad for the Wild game in October against "Pittsburg" not Pittsburgh so I assume the same spelling error is possible.

Frankly, I thought Stafford floated through Tuesday game. He just wasn't into it IMO.

Frankly, I thought Stafford floated through Tuesday game. He just wasn't into it IMO.

Reminds me of last year's summer camp, where Parise didn't end up among the scoring leaders. Not that coasting is ever a good thing, but maybe when you know you're expected to be one of the team's leaders, you just don't care quite as much during the summer evaluation camp.

Reminds me of last year's summer camp, where Parise didn't end up among the scoring leaders. Not that coasting is ever a good thing, but maybe when you know you're expected to be one of the team's leaders, you just don't care quite as much during the summer evaluation camp.

I hope that's it and that he's not taking anything for granted as in "No way does Sandelin cut me from this team in front of my hometown fans. NO WAY!"

I don't know the exact answer, but I believe generally the process is something like this: The coaches leave this week with a pretty good idea of what their team will look like, with maybe 9 of the 12 forward spots and 4 of the 6 defensemen basically set. Then they watch their bubble guys through the first part of the season, adjust for injuries and NHL teams releasing their players, and finally set the roster in mid-December, just before the tournament.

Two years ago, Matt Jones was basically set as a defensemen early in the process, but Matt Greene was a late addition to the team based on his early-season play.

Last year, Drew Stafford was a late addition due to injuries (I think).

That's just a guess at the process. For another perspective, check out Miracle, where Herb had the team in his head before the camp started.

I went to Tuesdays and Fridays games. Gosh it's nice to see hockey. You could tell that the US hadn't played much on Tuesday. It was fun to watch them go against each other. I think there were close to 40 shots for each team.

I can't really say that anyone has truly stood out to me. Though, I'll admit that I've been focusing on certain players. O'Sullivan can score. Bourque looked pretty good. Wheeler didn't do much on Friday. Kessel seems to have the upside, but I don't think he'll make it this year. Unfortunately, I think Earl will. I wish Stafford would have decked him during their scuffle. I also think that d-man for the Dallas Stars organization (was it Nickerson) looked good.

Stafford really was calling for the puck on Friday. He made a couple (actually the same move twice) of moves on the goalie and probably should have scored both times. The second time he hit the outside of the net. I didn't notice him much on defense, but he did lay some nice licks down.

Last thought...Suter is a big physical defenseman. It also seems he has a short fuse since he was game DQ'ed tonight (idiot). Anyone know what the deal was on that? Might be a risk.

Last thought...Suter is a big physical defenseman. It also seems he has a short fuse since he was game DQ'ed tonight (idiot). Anyone know what the deal was on that? Might be a risk.

I'm pretty sure he was just bitching at the refs. Either he's going through puberty or he's on the juice - he was in a couple of fights - and these are his teamates. I agree about Robbie Earl - he will likely make the team. After all "all he does his score goals".

Nickerson (Dallas D-man) is a monster 6-4 235 and he can skate.

Wheeler scored a goal, but he looked out of place, very sloppy skater. He barely played after about mid second period.

Bourque looked good, too bad he isn't a little bigger. Mike Brown (going to MI) looked very good, one of the best players on the ice IMO.

O'Sullivan was the best player on the ice, he is a very good player. If there is an NHL this year I could see the Wild giving him a shot.

Montoya was solid throughout the camp...

I agree with jloos, O'Sullivan was the probably the best player overall. Good skater and very strong on his skates. He also drew a lot of penalties for team blue.

Kessel impressed me alot. 16 years old and he was flying around the ice. Good puck handler and grit for such a little guy. He did not look out of place at all considering all these kids are a couple years older than him. He reminded me a lot of Brady Murray

Dan Fritsche caught my eye as one of the better players, along with Bryan Lerg, Mike Brown, and Ryan Callahan. Stafford and Pineault were the better checking forwards. Actually I was failry impressed with Pineault's play this weekend, when I saw him last october with BC he didn't look quite as good. Is he going back to BC or is he going MJ?

On defense Suter was far and away the best IMO, followed by Hagemo and Thelan.

By the way, the fact that Hagemo is going to be a gopher scares me. He's got one helluva shot and is smart and physical. Reminds me a bit of Ballard. In any case - he is going to be very good for the gophs.

Overall the team looked good, weaknesses IMO were goal scoeres/finishers and toughness in front of their own net. I thought Nickerson would be a bigger force than he was, but I wasn't very impressed with his puckhandling at all.

Blake Wheeler is big but he did look a bit out of place. This camp might have been a little more up tempo than what he is used to in MNHS hockey. Not a very fluid skater yet but you can see the potential oozing off of him.

The US team will be as good as any of the other teams in the tournament this winter, and they have a good shot a a medal.

Suter took another couple of dumb penalties today, including a checking from behind. He might be a good d-man, but the last thing the US needs to do is pick up any more stupid penalties than we already do. IMO he's good, but might not be a good fit for playing with European refs.

Does Bourque ever keep his mouthguard in his mouth? He's constantly chewing on it. Are mouthguards required?

I heard an interesting story on the Swedish team today. I'm not sure on the timeline of this, but I believe it all happened on Friday. Apparently there was either a hard check or something of a bit of a cheap shot done during practice between two Swedish teammates. So last night the hit player goes to the other guys room and kicks him in the family business. I guess the guy was asleep and now he has a ruptured testicle.

Does Bourque ever keep his mouthguard in his mouth?  He's constantly chewing on it.  Are mouthguards required? 

I heard an interesting story on the Swedish team today.  I'm not sure on the timeline of this, but I believe it all happened on Friday.  Apparently there was either a hard check or something of a bit of a cheap shot done during practice between two Swedish teammates.  So last night the hit player goes to the other guys room and kicks him in the family business.  I guess the guy was asleep and now he has a ruptured testicle.

On the mouthguard thing im not sure if they are required but if im guessing they arent. And everyone chews on thier mouthguard all the time.

That Swedish thing is the funniest thing ive heard today. haha

schvin de schvee der hor de vorst!!! (That was the swedish chef giving his recipe for "tossed nut salad!!") OUCH!!! nothing worse that taking one in the nuts from a "teammate" while you sleep!! I'd be afraid of payback there!!

PS - who had the uglier uniforms?? The swedes or the "brought to you by SNICKERS!" fins?? Here's a funny story...the first game with team USA vs. Finland had Koberinski scrambling...someone said "they're wearing (home) whites" when they came out tuesday (as was team USA)...turns out the fins were wearing their blues but there's SO MUCH ADVERTISING on their jerseys it looked like they were wearing their whites....OH CRAP!! I can hear REA's wheels turning in my head right now!!! :ohmy::p:D

gotta say...Montoya was not THAT impressive this week...not that I doubt his ability - just his focus...he makes the first stop great...not so much on RB'S I didn't see much for a backup so I still think he's the man but what did you guys think?

I only saw the Tuesday game, but I completely agree.

I suspect the focus improves during the real games, but he did not inspire much confidence in me.

Then again, he doesn't need to impress me.

I only saw the Tuesday game, but I completely agree.

I suspect the focus improves during the real games, but he did not inspire much confidence in me.

Then again, he doesn't need to impress me.

I thought he played really well in the first period of friday's games. He made a lot of really good saves, especially on second and third chances close in.

Slightly off-topic, it sounds as though Travis Zajac is turning heads at the Canadian summer camp being held in Calgary this week. Canada returns most of its WJC team from last year, so there aren't many spots to be had, but he may be playing his way onto the team. If he does, Sioux fans will have a reason to cheer for Canada in most of their games.

Murray made similar impressions last year (and may or may not have eventually made the Canadian team), and he turned into a very productive college freshman.