SiouxSports.com Forum

Bye, Bye Bochenski

SIOUXPR

First off, the timing isn't all that bad. If anyone is going to leave, it's going to be within the next 20-30 days or so (or however long it is until dry land conditioning starts again full force).

Bochenski is a 7th rounder. They are rarely afforded high $$$ contracts. If the offer is good, what makes you think that one more year will make the offer better? Bo would be buried beneath yet another draft. With that in mind, it's probably in HIS best interests to go.

Like cfm says, until it is official, I'm not going to "jump"

And, IMO, the only thing for certain should Bo actually leave is that the Hobey will not be in Grand Forks this year unless the long shot (no offense MNS) Matt Jones takes it by surprise. The Sioux should still do good enough to win.

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

jloos,

It is still July, more than 2 months before the season starts. In addition, we don't know how long the coaches have known about it. Perhaps the program has been planning this season without him for quite some time. Admittedly, it does throw off the "Lines for 2004-05" thread, but hopefully the fans can adjust.

It is a little more than 2 months before the first game. The season starts much earlier. I agree the coaches are likely better informed than the fans, but I still players leaving this late. For this year it's not a big deal because of the depth at forward. This just gives someone else a chance to step up and fill the void, although I don't think we'll ever see another player with BB's shot.

Like I said before if the Sens are really offering him $ now and they were not last spring, it is probably a good decision. I just don't see the Sens throwing much his way. Maybe they are signing him quick so they can trade him to the Bluejackets. :)

this is a bunch of BS. The Sens can't even pay the players they have in the NHL. There is no way that they are throwing much money at Bochenski. That is your proof that whatever offer there is, it must be a rather minimal one. I am not doom and gloom but the Sioux will be affected by the loss of Bochenski and Zpar. However, I choose to look at the glass as half full rather than half empty. At least now in the future, people can take a $100 bill from Bochenski without wondering if it is real.

It is a little more than 2 months before the first game. The season starts much earlier. I agree the coaches are likely better informed than the fans, but I still players leaving this late. For this year it's not a big deal because of the depth at forward. This just gives someone else a chance to step up and fill the void, although I don't think we'll ever see another player with BB's shot.

Like I said before if the Sens are really offering him $ now and they were not last spring, it is probably a good decision. I just don't see the Sens throwing much his way. Maybe they are signing him quick so they can trade him to the Bluejackets. :)

I agree with jloos. This does put the team in a spot because most of the recruits have committed already.However, he must have had a good reason and I wish him well. No one knows why he left, but is it possible that it has to do with Blais leaving or Hakstol as coach? I have heard that he had a good relationship with Blais, but have not heard anything about his relationship with Hakstol. Any insight from persons in the know would be appreciated.

"We're close," Bochenski said. "If they get there (to financial terms Bochenski is seeking) in August, then I'll go. If they don't, then I won't."

Can they financially meet his terms? After all, they've still got Bondra and Leschyshyn out as unrestricted free agents, (a pair I'm sure they wouldn't mind keeping) and they threw a ton of cash to sign Hasek to his multi-year deal. I don't think a big deal will happen. That being said, maybe Bochenski isn't looking for a lot of money, and just wants to get out of here. :)

PCM: Let's hear the Blais quotes... what did he say?

Found this site Sens Chat

Looks like the Sens fans think BB may get a shot at playing for the club this season, if there is a season.

With Alfredsson, Hossa, and Havlat, the Sens are deep at RW (although Hossa and Havlat shoot left), but few names (Varada) ring a bell at LW. Did Bo play much LW for the Sioux last season? Would seem to be his only chance at sticking with the Sens.

And speaking of development in the AHL, this looks to be the year when the AHL will be home for many NHLers. Can't beat that for development, playing against the best.

FT, that is no proof, even if you end up being right.

For an optimist, you sure sound bitter.

The team is practically bankrupt and has gone periods of time without paying its players (2 years ago I believe). They are not throwing around million dollar contracts to marginal NHL prospects.

PCM: Let's hear the Blais quotes... what did he say?

Not to be a smart a$$ about it, but Blais said what my story says he said. I asked him if the rumors were true about Bocheski signing a deal with the Senators. He said they were and that it would likely happen this week. We didn't discuss the why or how of the situation.

You heard it here first... UND will contend for the WCHA championship next year. :)

They may not be the favorite anymore, but I challenge you to find a team in the WCHA that will be better next year.

Sadly the Sioux are still the favorites. It just shows how far ahead of everyone they were for the regular season last year. I'd say UW and UMD are getting closer and if the Gophs have no more early departures they are somewhat close, but UND unless they lose two defensemen are still the best in the league until beaten.

Of course that won't mean than much when the Final Five is concluded and the NCAAs begin.

Uh, if Bo plays LW at UND and the Sens need a physical LW, they can make it work despite the fact that he shoots right.

My rationale? On the Red Wings, Brendan Shanahan shoots right. He's known for what Bochenski's scouting report states. He's a sure fire hall of famer as well.

The Sens have Bo listed as a RW. However, if they need it enough (and from the Sens board, they do) They could very well swallow that distinction and make him a LW.

This type of conversion is NOT all that uncommon. In the NFL, QBs are routinely drafted as Cornerbacks or wide recievers. In baseball, sometimes a shortstop will end up as a pitcher (Mike Hampton of the Braves and Brooks Kitschnik (sp?) of the Brewers). A winger could find himself a center if he is good at faceoffs. Just because Bo's listed as a RW, doesn't mean that's what he'll be as a Senator.

Sadly the Sioux are still the favorites. It just shows how far ahead of everyone they were for the regular season last year. I'd say UW and UMD are getting closer and if the Gophs have no more early departures they are somewhat close, but UND unless they lose two defensemen are still the best in the league until beaten.

Of course that won't mean than much when the Final Five is concluded and the NCAAs begin.

amen.. you never really know what the season is going to look like until you are WELL into it. Look at the gophers last year, the gophers in 2003 when they won it all, denver last year, UMD the last couple of years. You just never know.

Maybe they are signing him quick so they can trade him to the Bluejackets. :)

I know that's wishful thinking on your part but if the Sens wanted to trade him they wouldn't have to sign him to do that. They would just trade his rights away. :D

From today's Forum:

Bochenski said he is discussing financial terms with the club. "If they get there (to acceptable terms) in August, then I'll go. If they don't, then I won't," he said. (This was included in PCM's USCHO article).

Hakstol said, "I wouldn't be surprised to see him back . . . (but) I certainly wouldn't count on it, I think our plans are in place whether or not Brandon's back."

Bo said if he cannot work things out in Ottawa, he'll be excited to return to UND for one more season. "It's not a bad place to go back to."

That's about what he said on WDAZ last night in a telephone interview. He said he had not talked to the Sens in about a week. Also stated that if they don't offer a deal he found agreeable by the end of August, he would be back at UND for the season.