SiouxSports.com Forum

East Grand Forks NAHL team

ChadR

1 hour ago, ChadR said:

Anyone else see the article about the Brookings Blizzard moving to St Cloud. Found it interesting that EGF was in the running as a possible location for them. Also mentioned EGF is looking for a NAHL team.

I read that, interesting that both Marshall and East Grand were considered. 

2 minutes ago, Ice Arena Man said:

If you have ever been to SCHWANN'S RINK  you would understand

Oh I've driven by it on my way to town (never been in it but have seen pictures of the inside with the hockey setup), Red Baron Arena is a massive upgrade over Lockwoods Arena

2 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Oh I've driven by it on my way to town (never been in it but have seen pictures of the inside with the hockey setup), Red Baron Arena is a massive upgrade over Lockwoods Arena

Even better than the bubble my kids used to play in. Schwann's Red Barron Arena is nice. i was just there for sectional softball and have attended games there as well. They now have a beautiful complex thanks to the bonding bill to go with the arena.

• 3 months later...

Bumping this thread as the NAHL has expanded again.  New franchise in Wichita Falls, TX next season.  Also, earlier this year rumors of a team in Kansas City , the Scouts, that will play out of the new arena they are building in Olathe, KS.  Don't know if that is "official" yet but I would almost guarantee something will happen as Lamar Hunt Jr. is involved.  He owns the Topeka franchise so it could be a relocation?  

Anyways, dovetails into this thread because with recent expansion in New Mexico and Maine, now in Wichita Falls, possibly in KC, the odds get longer that there would be expansion into East Grand Forks or Marshall.  Maybe an MJHL team is a possibility?  There is a thread here earlier about the possibility of the MJ expanding south of the border into the US.  SIJHL?  Probably eager to expand after shutting down the Iron Rangers and only being at 6 teams right now.

The problem with any minor league team is that they play a majority of their games Thursday - Sunday. Unless they're heavy on former local players who have tons of followers, they'll be going head-to-head against UND hockey. Yeah, it's more family friendly price-wise to go to these games vs the Ralph, but what's the major draw vs high school teams?

On 10/21/2019 at 5:28 AM, southpaw said:

The problem with any minor league team is that they play a majority of their games Thursday - Sunday. Unless they're heavy on former local players who have tons of followers, they'll be going head-to-head against UND hockey. Yeah, it's more family friendly price-wise to go to these games vs the Ralph, but what's the major draw vs high school teams?

Agreed 100%. Anyone who owns one of these teams isn’t doing it to make $. Unless you’re the Lincoln Stars of the late 90s when owners were each taking home a million dollars at the end of the year.