SiouxSports.com Forum

Alerus Center

bisonguy

As seen on the KVLY news this evening, the Alerus Center and UND are in negotiations so UND can get a better price for using the Alerus. This brings up a few questions-

1) How much is UND currently paying for using the Alerus?

2) How many free tickets does UND give away?

(From UND's official finances-LINK in 2002 football revenue was $338,000. Dividing by the 56,930 people that attended UND football games in 2002-LINK that averages out to be $5.94 a seat. That seems very low, especially with less than 3,000 season ticket holders ;) )

3) If the Alerus lowers it's revenue from UND football, will GF residents be willing to soak up the red ink? Property taxes are already ludicrous in Grand Forks, and the Alerus is creeping up on the $1M deficit number. Would a parking fee help out?

Of the total attendance, students and free military passes probably account for 1/3rd of tickets issued. The average ticket sold benefitted UND football by about $9.15, not $5.94. Considering season tickets are reduced price compared with single game prices, the $9.15/seat is probably around 70% of the average ticket price. The rest went to the Alerus, which must pay for event staffing and cleanup costs, and to Ticketmaster. Membership in the Fighting Sioux club is an important source of indirect football revenue, just like Teammakers is for the Bison. I'd be surprised if Bison football ticket revenue, excluding Teammakers and concessions , was above $500,000, especially considering all the discounted single game tickets available at places like Stop-n-Go.

Can't find the link, but the terms of the Alerus contract had been on the internet. If recalled correctly, it was a three tier system, where the Alerus would take increasing cuts of the revenue as attendance increased.

3) If the Alerus lowers it's revenue from UND football, will GF residents be willing to soak up the red ink? Property taxes are already ludicrous in Grand Forks, and the Alerus is creeping up on the $1M deficit number. Would a parking fee help out?

The thing to keep in mind is that the arena portion of the Alerus actually does make a modest profit. The list of events it has hosted thus far is quite impressive. It's the convention center that loses money due in large part to the lack of an attached hotel. With the construction of the hotel and the entertainment complex in the near future, the finances of the convention center should take a turn for the better, which should more than offset any diminished UND football revenue the Alerus receives due to the new deal between the city and UND.

As UND92,96 pointed out, the Canad Inn project about to start construction should help Alerus Center financials greatly. It will also mean the relationship between the Alerus and UND football will not be so critical.

Perhaps this is just wishful thinking on my part, but if there was a athletics needs list at UND, it would include an indoor track, more adequate training facilities for the football team, and more indoor training space for non-VB/BB/hockey programs. Even without home football games, Memorial Stadium needs modernizing. Why not combine these needs into one?

Finish demolishing the bleachers on the east side of Memorial. Extending toward the old Ralph, build a west-facing grandstand with a concourse that has modern concessions and restrooms and incorporate an indoor track and modernized athletic training equipment rooms within this grandstand complex. Late August and up to mid-October games would be played at the refurbished Memorial, with later games and playoffs at the Alerus. Both indoor and outdoor football fans would be somewhat mollified. Student seating could be on the West Side / visitors side. Install chairback seating (plastic, not leather :D ) on the east side grand stand as well as build suites, which would help pay the "mortgage". The Hyslop arena area could be converted entirely to baseball/softball/tennis/golf indoor training, while the east side grandstand/athletic complex would be for football/track and field use. Future stadium expansions could be done on the endzones, if that was ever warranted. The Alerus Center could bid on the Div II Championship Game without complaints that it is UND’s home field. A Div II football Hall of Fame could be made from a wing of the proposed NCAA Hockey Hall of Fame/museum complex near the Alerus to help entice the championship game.

Troy State recently did something similar to impressively modernize its football stadium, as the new Grandstand is really just an intricate facade for a new athletic training and classroom complex. Here’s a picture: Movie Gallery Stadium. UND’s modernization wouldn’t need to be nearly on the scale of Troy State’s, or costly, to be effective.

Anyway, this is probably really just fantasy with The Betty still to be paid for, but it never hurts to strive toward a dream. ;);)

The problem with splitting football games is with season tickets. There aren't nearly as many seats at Memorial as at Alerus. So it would be a big pain to deal with peoples complaints about their seats.

I agree. I'm also a firm believer in a real home field advantage. I don't like what they're doing with basketball one bit. It's hard to have a home court when there's two of them. :D

Although there have been many ideas and plans for the old Engelstad, the last one I had heard was in January, where the plan was to convert it into an indoor practice facility for the football team (since the Alerus isn't always opening their doors).

Of course, there always has been talk about putting a roof over Memorial Stadium, once that magical thing occurs: Money is available

As UND92,96 pointed out, the Canad Inn project about to start construction should help Alerus Center financials greatly. It will also mean the relationship between the Alerus and UND football will not be so critical.

Perhaps this is just wishful thinking on my part, but if there was a athletics needs list at UND, it would include an indoor track, more adequate training facilities for the football team, and more indoor training space for non-VB/BB/hockey programs. Even without home football games, Memorial Stadium needs modernizing. Why not combine these needs into one?

Finish demolishing the bleachers on the east side of Memorial. Extending toward the old Ralph, build a west-facing grandstand with a concourse that has modern concessions and restrooms and incorporate an indoor track and modernized athletic training equipment rooms within this grandstand complex. Late August and up to mid-October games would be played at the refurbished Memorial, with later games and playoffs at the Alerus. Both indoor and outdoor football fans would be somewhat mollified. Student seating could be on the West Side / visitors side. Install chairback seating (plastic, not leather ;) ) on the east side grand stand as well as build suites, which would help pay the "mortgage". The Hyslop arena area could be converted entirely to baseball/softball/tennis/golf indoor training, while the east side grandstand/athletic complex would be for football/track and field use. Future stadium expansions could be done on the endzones, if that was ever warranted. The Alerus Center could bid on the Div II Championship Game without complaints that it is UND

If I had my ideal stadium, the Alerus would have 30,000 seats (for an eventual move to Division I-A), have a retractable roof, field turf, suites on the west side, and be paid for and owned by the University. Now that's what I call a dream. :D

You forgot the part about "able to play baseball in it" in there. ;) ;)

A west facing home grandstand would be awful. I've sat on that side of Memorial for one of the UND games and it's painful to watch a football game for three hours looking directly into the sun.

We’ll just make arrangements for the sun to hold its 1 PM (Noon standard time) position during the game. :D Admittedly, the economics of such a project would be extraordinarily difficult to justify. But an outdoor stadium on campus (in sunny fall weather) brings a vitality that on indoor arena cannot match.

We’ll just make arrangements for the sun to hold its 1 PM (Noon standard time) position during the game. :D Admittedly, the economics of such a project would be extraordinarily difficult to justify. But an outdoor stadium on campus (in sunny fall weather) brings a vitality that on indoor arena cannot match.

Why not just get some lights and play Night games??

Reading this post, 'star2city' has their first convert. :D

And on a related note, look at what I found:

Elizabeth Nichols asked about the status of the old Engelstad Arena.  Roger Thomas said that an architect has been contacted regarding potential uses for the site and to help make the decision as to whether it should be torn down or renovated.  He indicated an indoor practice facility as well as an indoor track are the next items on the agenda.

Lights at Memorial Stadium?

Next you'll want to put lights at Wrigley Field. :D:p;)

Why not?? It gives you more time for tailgating. ;) You know, have a few Brewski's, grill up some of those L&M Brats that SiouxMeNow keeps on raving about, pass around the body paint for the really crazy students. It will be fun!! :p:p;):p

I've been putting the voltage into Frank to plug L&M brats for a while - i get a nickel a weiner for every MOUTH WATERING BRAT they sell....mmmmmmm.....money!!!

(PS - I'm planning to hold a barbecue for Laker Fans when they come to the AL this fall for the playoffs and grill up a few of those beauties so they can taste a bit of heaven aka the hot pepper cheese brats....or maybe the jalapeno brats....or maybe the....oh...they'll just have to wait...)

Huh? What were you saying? I got distracted after "L&M brats". :p

Those are good stuff! ;)

You're right SiouxMeNow, a few ears did perk up when I mention those Brats. You'll have to bring me some when UND travels to GVSU to play in the playoffs this season. :p:D;):p Perhaps they have a large sampler case?? ;):p

Thanks star2city.

The only site I found the Alerus/UND contract details was on the UND-fraud site, so it was taken with a hefty grain of salt :);) .

Yeah that site has no credibility what so ever, you can't believe anything that is written or posted on that site. It is run by a couple of disgrunted former UND students and they have trouble with the facts much like Michael Moore does.

• 1 month later...

I'm surprised that this Herald article hasn't generated any discussion yet. To me, it seems so obvious that it would be a win-win situation for the Alerus and UND if UND were given a bigger percentage of the ticket revenue and possibly a break on the rent in exchange for not objecting to the Alerus selling beer in more than just the small designated area of the concourse. I don't see how UND can possibly justify taking the completely inconsistent positions regarding beer sales at the REA/BEA compared to the Alerus. Hopefully this is simply a negotiating ploy as opposed to Kupchella or one of his underlings honestly thinking that selling beer at football games is somehow a bigger problem than doing the same thing at a hockey or basketball game.