SiouxSports.com Forum

Moorhead's Chris VandeVelde

UND Fan

I'm not sure if this has been discussed here or not but Moorhead forward Chris VandeVelde has commited to UND. He will be a senior this upcoming year. He admits that he has always been a Gopher fan! No more!!

Scouting reports??

From today's Fargo Forum:

Chris VandeVelde didn't just pick a college, he dropped an allegiance.

"I've always been kind of a Gopher fan," the Moorhead High senior-to-be said Monday, "but I guess now I'm a Sioux."

A Sioux player, that is.

The Spuds' forward has verbally committed to play men's hockey for the University of North Dakota, despite advances by the University of Minnesota.

VandeVelde will join the Sioux in 2005-06 along with classmate Brian Lee, a defenseman who verbally committed in February.

"I just really like the coaches and the facility, and everything just seemed to work out there," VandeVelde said.

The commitment ended a rapid recruiting rise.

The 6-foot-2, 180 pounder didn't score his first varsity goal until the 2002-03 section playoffs. But he followed that up with 19 goals and 25 assists this winter, helping the Spuds reach the Minnesota Class 2A state title game.

"It's been really neat to see him grow as a player," Moorhead coach Dave Morinville said, "and see him realize what he's got."

This summer was supposed to be a maximum exposure tour for VandeVelde, a speedy scorer who is set to play in events known for attracting college scouts.

Instead, with the pressure of the decision behind him, it will feel more like a vacation - on ice.

"I didn't think it'd go this fast, that I'd sign right way," VandeVelde said.

"But it's nice."

I'm not sure if this has been discussed here or not but Moorhead forward Chris VandeVelde has commited to UND. He will be a senior this upcoming year. He admits that he has always been a Gopher fan! No more!!

Scouting reports??

This was just officially announced, but it has been known since before the state tournament. Chris VandeVelde was absolutely dominant as a squirt and pee wee. He was the best player on very loaded Moorhead teams that included Jon Ammerman, Brian Lee, Matt Becker and others. He was always much bigger than average when he was young, so when the other kids started catching up in size at Bantams, he was not as dominant. He has now grown again, and has very good speed to go along with a very hard shot. As a result, he has again moved to near the top of the pack at Moorhead and in the state of Minnesota. His upside is huge. He can shoot, has great hands, good speed and is big.

Very nice catch, IMO. Welcome aboard.

Any word on Ammerman?

Not officially, but I do not think he will go to UND because he does not want to be in Brian Lee's shadow. Minnesota apparently has a lot of defensemen coming in, and may be done recruiting that position, but has talked with him. UMD appears to be very interested.

VandeVelde did more in the state tourny when Gifford didnt get a point.

He should be a good asset for UND as long as he continues to excel.

Vandevelde did less than Gifford at the State Tourny. Vandevelde played on the third line. I already knew about Vandevelde, and I'm still surprised to see a kid that wasn't on his high school's top line getting a scholorship to the Sioux. He's a good player, one of many from Moorhead, but not a standout IMO.

Vandevelde did less than Gifford at the State Tourny. Vandevelde played on the third line. I already knew about Vandevelde, and I'm still surprised to see a kid that wasn't on his high school's top line getting a scholorship to the Sioux. He's a good player, one of many from Moorhead, but not a standout IMO.

Maybe that's another reason why Moorhead did so well, they distributed their talent.

Just a thought.

I have a dumb question but what does IMO mean?

A question: which dman has a bigger upside? Ammerman or Hardwick? Has Hardwick committed yet?

Ammerman. He is big, fast and can shoot. Hardwick continues to get looks from UM, UND and UMD according to my Warroad sources, but there are concerns about his foot speed. He is reportedly considering passing up his senior year of high school to play in the USHL.

I think VandeVelde is much like Brad Miller (the SSM forward who committed earlier). Both are great skaters with speed, real good shot, great puck skills, etc. Once they learn how to put the total package together, they will be great players. They are highly skilled with all the tools, they just have to figure out how to put all the pieces together. They both have a tremendous, almost unlimited, upside and that's why several of the top programs wanted to get them committed early. My guess is that Brad Miller will be with the Sioux a year from this fall. VandeVelde will most likely be with them the year after that.

• 2 weeks later...

I got to know Ammerman pretty well during math class. He plays like an NHL player....speed, quickness, and strength. But his weakness is careless passing, causing a lot of turnovers. Chris can fly on the ice, he is not as fast as cory johnson, but he can really fly. He also has a very accurate wrist shot. I was suprised to hear that Chris has committed to UND.

I was suprised, because hes more of a Gophers fan.  I've heard the same thing for Brian Lee.  They both chose UND, because of the Ralph

People always assume that most of these students only commit to UND because of the arena, I think it is the icing on the cake. Or just one of the many reasons great recruits go to UND. UND is a power house in college hockey. I think more so than even UofM.

I do like UND, but Gophers are better. Thats why i chose to go there this fall. BACK to BACK champs!!!

That's fine, 04Spud. Good luck in school and thanks for contributing here. Please keep us informed of the Moorhead hockey happenings.

I do like UND, but Gophers are better. Thats why i chose to go there this fall. BACK to BACK champs!!!

Well I look at that as a character flaw, because UND is going to be the team to beat in the WCHA, next season. Minnesota will be lucky in to in the top four in the league next season, especially if Vanek goes pro. :(;);)

Several things. First, thanks for contributing to our knowledge base about Moorhead hockey. I seem to recall them always beating my alma mater (Fargo South) back when I was in high school. Don't know if it was an exhibition game or if it counted.

Secondly, I think Back to Back can be retired now. Everyone on this board knows that Denver won the NC last season, ending Minnesota's NC run at 2 straight. Not diminishing the feat of winning back to back NCs, but it's at least a year in the past now. Time to move on.

Lastly, Where Minnesota ends up may not be as low as you say. I'd say UND is still the team to beat in the WCHA, but I think the top four will be UND, UMD, Minnesota, UW.

Vanek's passing will actually, I think, help them focus their game on a broader game instead of always trying to get him the puck. Therefore, the Gophers should play better. The big loss is Ballard, not Vanek should he leave.