• Tampa
    • Toronto
    • Philly
    • Other

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SIOUXFAN, GOON, I will be the first to tell you about tell last night's game between the LIGHTING playing the HABS well no one was watching the baseball game last night. Every bar in town was focus in on the LIGHTING last night. I'm getting tickets for the next series whoever they play. I hope to see you gentlemen there.

SIOUX FAN SINCE 1973

You don't really think Montreal is a dirty team, do you?

I agree, there are far dirtier teams in the playoffs than the Habs. However, the rivalry between Montreal and Boston goes back to the earliest days of the NHL, as those are two of the six original teams.

And on a side note: Did I not say Esche was beatable? I think I did. Up 2 games to none, Philadelphia has found a way to let Toronto get back into the series drawing up the question: GOT CHOKE? Maybe. The question will be answered as soon as either team reaches 4 wins in the series. Of course, if Philly still wins the series, the answer will be no, but if the Leafs should win.... :D

First, izzi6 be careful what you wish for because it just might come true. With all due respect to everyone on the board, I would like to say that a Red Wings vs Lighting series is if anything too close to call. Second Red Wing77 I think I have gotten that right if I didn't please forgive me. You made some very good points concerning Philly vs Toronto series. I don't who said that Tampa isn't a hockey town well they're right on that it took the Lighting a spell to get the fans in the arena but that was the same with the BUCS & look what happen to them. Red Wing77, I agree I would like to see college hockey down here I would love to see "THE FIGHTIN SIOUX" down here for a series, but the problem is that the schools won't support a division 1 team. They say they don't have the money. Yeah right then again this is a football state. Most of the fans down here want to see a Lighting vs Philly series. all I can say is let's just wait & see who we will be playing.

SIOUX FAN SINCE 1973

I agree, there are far dirtier teams in the playoffs than the Habs. However, the rivalry between Montreal and Boston goes back to the earliest days of the NHL, as those are two of the six original teams.

And on a side note: Did I not say Esche was beatable? I think I did. Up 2 games to none, Philadelphia has found a way to let Toronto get back into the series drawing up the question: GOT CHOKE? Maybe. The question will be answered as soon as either team reaches 4 wins in the series. Of course, if Philly still wins the series, the answer will be no, but if the Leafs should win.... :D

I have Lightning season tickets so I've watched all the playoff games. I wouldn't say the Habs are dirty. The Senators and Leafs are though. The Leafs are whiners too. What I don't like about the Canadiens is the diving, easpecially the great performances by Kovalev and Ribiero in the Boston series.

Esche was beatable in the last two games. But it was as much the fault of the team as a whole as his alone. The Flyers flat out did not come to play while TO came out roaring. The Leafs wanted those games more. Mental preparedness has been the Flyers weakness the past few seasons more than anything else. The talent is better than it has been in years. It appeared this might be the season they shook the tag of mental fragility. Unfortunately the doubt is back.

The Leafs really left Belfour out to dry today...only 1 of the 6 goals against him were his fault, the rest came asa result of horrible mistakes and turn-overs by the defense...he did not look too happy heading to the locker room...

The Leafs really left Belfour out to dry today...only 1 of the 6 goals against him were his fault, the rest came asa result of horrible mistakes and turn-overs by the defense...he did not look too happy heading to the locker room...

Not saying his defensemen didn't hang him out to dry, but the two goals I saw...4 and 6...we're both his fault. The sixth I don't even know how that got into the net, and he overplayed the fourth by a mile...he looked like Briggs on that one :D;)

Well, Colorado is still in it.... :D

And Calgary is ahead of Detroit with a chance to eliminate them... ;)

Maybe I'll be wrong. I hope I'm wrong.

I don't particularly like expansion teams either. Expansion just watered down the talent level. You know that if Joe Motzko, formerly of SCSU, was able to play in a couple of games for Columbus this year, that something is seriously wrong.

Elizabeth

I have Lightning season tickets so I've watched all the playoff games. I wouldn't say the Habs are dirty. The Senators and Leafs are though. The Leafs are whiners too. What I don't like about the Canadiens is the diving, easpecially the great performances by Kovalev and Ribiero in the Boston series.

Esche was beatable in the last two games. But it was as much the fault of the team as a whole as his alone. The Flyers flat out did not come to play while TO came out roaring. The Leafs wanted those games more. Mental preparedness has been the Flyers weakness the past few seasons more than anything else. The talent is better than it has been in years. It appeared this might be the season they shook the tag of mental fragility. Unfortunately the doubt is back.

Don't confuse the Leafs with Quinn. Quinn is notorious for whining. He did that with his last team (didn't he come from Vancouver?).

TommieJo- Thanks for agreeing with me on several points, but I wasn't talking about DI down south. A Detroit Lightening SC final would be exciting, but they're having so much trouble with Calgary it isn't funny.

Esche IS beatable and it's not about the Flyers leaving him out to dry. I watched one of the games the Flyers lost and the commentators were all over the fact that this was the Esche we saw "during the regular season." Therefore, if he reverts back to how he was the entire season, Philly will have trouble.

Belfour is Belfour. And no goaltender can withstand a ton of shots without giving up goals here and there. If your defense leaves you out to dry, even the best can get burned.

Ruffian I have a question.  You said the you have Lighting season tickets, I have to asked this.  Just what part of the Tampa Bay Area are you from?

SIOUX FAN SINCE 1973

I'm not in Tampa. I live near Orlando. Mickey Mouse's backyard you might say. :D

Tommiejo, you in the Tampa area? Do you go to the games?

Looks like there is no further reason to debate Esche. He left after the first period yesterday. I've been told it's a concussion from a puck off of the face mask in Friday's game. :D

The Flyers will have to keep scoring like they did yesterday. I don't have as much confidence in Burke.

You don't really think Montreal is a dirty team, do you?

Yes I do, I am a Bruins fans and despise/hate the Dirty Habs more than any other hockey team in the NHL. If you were a Bruins fan you would understand it. Its kind of like the Celtics hating the Lakers back in the 1980

Edited by Goon

Esche is injuried yesterday.

Yeah, I noticed, but I'm still in shock over the Yzerman injury. Wow.

Just in case anyone was wondering if he'd come back next year if there was hockey, I think that injury just sealed the lid on that one. :Sigh: and so passes one of the greatest hockey players ever to wear the "C" on his jersey.

With Yzerman out, I am still rooting for the Wings, but it's going to be a mountain to climb now that their heart and soul leadership has been shaken with the loss of Yzerman. No, Yzerman isn't the greatest hockey player on the team this year, but his leadership is unsurpassed in the NHL and he has been known in the past to be clutch with scoring.

He's for sure Hall of Fame first ballot.

And to whomever posted that picture of Commie: Nice hit on Hatcher!

Philly's next game is going to determine who goes on and who doesn't. If Philly wins, they'll advance, but if Burke blows it, the Leafs come from behind to take the series.

Hey now... Kovalev is one of my favorite players dating back to his time spent in Pittsburgh.

Figures.

You should be embarrassed to admit that. He's pulled that I'm too injured to continue act twice now. To top it off he blamed a teammate for his own failure this time. He's a disgrace. The 2004 Canadiens are an embarrassment to the great teams of the 70's because of him and Ribiero.

Dave, you say you don't think TO is dirty. What do you think of Antropov coming up to JR after the play was blown dead while he was with a ref (or linesman) and cracking a stick across the back of his head? Is that not dirty? If it had been JR or Brashear they would have been tossed and you know it.

Good news for the Flyers. Bad news for the Leafs.

Flyers' coach Ken Hitchcock said on Monday that he hoped Esche would be ready for Game 6, since he's ill - not injured.

"Robert was diagnosed with flu-like symptoms and dehydration," said Hitchcock. "He felt better today, and were hopeful that he can play tomorrow. Were thinking that, right now, hell be good to go tomorrow. His [injury] is not concussion related, or anything that was being reported. It has nothing to do with that. Weve had two or three players have exactly the same thing, and have had the same symptoms and the same problems throughout this series, and he was just an extension of whats been kind of going through the team here, so hes fine, pending practice."

Burke will replace Esche if needed, with Antero Niittymaki making the trip just in case.

Esche

I put Kovalev and Jagr in the same grouping. No heart. Lemieux had plenty of heart.

There is also a difference between goons and physical players. McSorley and Domi don't compare to guys like Modano and JR. I'd take Sakic and quite a few others before Kovalev for what he pulled the first time much less after pulling it again against Boston. I have no respect for him no matter how much skill he has.

Yes, I would say that particular incident was dirty. But I don't think that's enough to say they're a dirty team. I would have to see a team involved in numerous brawls before I'd go so far as to call them dirty. I think most teams probably might have one or more dirty players, but the days of entire teams being dirty are thankfully long gone.

So you only consider a team dirty if they brawl? IMO that's a pretty narrow interpretation. I think dirty encompasses a whole lot of illegal actions by more than one of their players. Dirty is cheating and includes slashing, tripping, roughing, holding and even interference. Mostly though when I think of a dirty team I do think Ottawa and Toronto. NJ doesn't do the stick work but they do a whole lot of holding and get away with it.

I totally understand why you hate them if you're a Bruins fan, and at the same time I understand Montreal fans hating Boston. It's a great rivalry. To hate them is one thing, but to call them dirty is another.

Actually I should explain myself, I call every team that I dislike Dirty, its a goonism. I guess I should have probably explained it better. I hope that clears that up. I still hate the HABS. I looking at the season they probably were at the bottom of the NHL as far as fighting majors go.

Speaking of whiners and cheapskates, Burke (GM of Vancouver) was fired today. Now we won't have to hear his incessant whining everytime one of his players gets called for running the goaltender. I say this knowing that Burke was a decent evaluator of talent on draft day and that he'd probably find another job (Rangers? If they wisen up, make Sather President and seperate all the other duties to people who are more capable).

One player doesn't make a team, Goon. Ribiero and maybe Kovalev has had moments, but there ARE quality players on Montreal (Theodore, Ryder, etc.) just like there are good players on Boston (Raycroft, Samsonov, Bergeron, Thornton, etc.)

Speaking of whiners and cheapskates, Burke (GM of Vancouver) was fired today.  Now we won't have to hear his incessant whining everytime one of his players gets called for running the goaltender.  I say this knowing that Burke was a decent evaluator of talent on draft day and that he'd probably find another job (Rangers? If they wisen up, make Sather President and seperate all the other duties to people who are more capable).

One player doesn't make a team, Goon.  Ribiero and maybe Kovalev has had moments, but there ARE quality players on Montreal (Theodore, Ryder, Bondra, Chara, etc.) just like there are good players on Boston (Raycroft, Samsonov, Bergeron, Thornton, etc.)

wow thats so off its not even funny you think bondra and chara play for montreal they play for OTTAWA!!! heres a site for you check it out you need this www.nhl.com