SiouxSports.com Forum

National Anthem

Jackson

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I whole heartly agree that the National Athem should be sung as written and not turned into something else. At the UND Music Dept. if one of their students is singing it, they are instructed by the professors to sing it right so others can sign along. On the north end of the Ralph, the crowd participation is extremely good and we all yell home of the "SIOUX" - proudly and I have a nephew serving so I would never do something to disrespect his sacriface.

2.  Singers, the Anthem is a great song on it's own.  It's not meant to be prettified.  It doesn't lend itself to prettifying.  It's a grand song, not a pretty song.  It's not a love song.  It's a strong song.  Sing it straight forward.  It sounds SOOOOO much better that way.

Agreed. Artistic interpretations are not welcomed by me with open arms. Frankly, it pisses me off. :D

Jackson: Your opposition to "Home of the Sioux" is very disrespectful to Sioux fans. Please take your politically incorrect and offensive hate-speech elsewhere.

So you are offended by this and would like the singers to change? Hmmmm

Don't put words in my mouth, er keyboard. I never said the singers offend me, just that some of them piss me off. There's a difference, you know. Regardless, like lots of things I can't change, I take it and MOVE ON.

Have any of you seen how they do the Canadian National Anthem at GM Place in Vancouver? It's strong and the crowd is completely involved because the singer allows them to sing the middle verse alone. It's pretty awesome.

Only on TV but I'm ALL for that.

JMHO, I think the singer should sing it the way it was written. If the fans want to change the some words it's not a big deal.

I prefer the anthem sung with a faster temp than many singers I've experienced in arenas tend to sing it. I guess they want to drag out their moment of fame. Styxx sang the anthem before last Saturday's Islanders/Lightning game and did a good job of it.

I sing along no matter who is singing it.

I know some people who are offended by this. They are mostly people who have served our country in some kind of armed force. I see their point, and Jackson's as well. I don't personally say that, I sing the entire anthem with whoever is singing it. (I specifically remember when the mic wasn't working and the whole crowd sang the anthem together, that was moving.) The anthem itself, if you think of what was going on when it was written, is an extremely emotional song. I am not offended by "Home of the Sioux, but I can see why people would be. My take, it will continue, as it did in Duluth this year, (man was that loud!) and it will never be an issue.

I don't sing the anthem - for fear of sounding like that guy from American Idol - William Hung. I like to think I save the singing for those that can sing.

I have no problem shouting "home of the SIOUX" however as that is hard to butcher and doesn't require much vocal skill. If I had previously served in the armed forces I might hold a different belief but for now it doesn't bother me in the least. I think what is more bothersome is the occasional a$$ in the crowd that finds the need to yell something during the anthem or fail to remove his cap.

"I know some people who are offended by this. They are mostly people who have served our country in some kind of armed force. I see their point, and Jackson's as well."

I have no problem shouting "home of the SIOUX" however as that is hard to butcher and doesn't require much vocal skill. If I had previously served in the armed forces I might hold a different belief but for now it doesn't bother me in the least. I think what is more bothersome is the occasional a$$ in the crowd that finds the need to yell something during the anthem or fail to remove his cap.

Once again, I do not diminish what people in the armed forces do for our country but what you keep mentioning gets to me. Are military supposedly more proud than the rest of us. ergo, more offended when 'their' toes are stepped on?

I am only seeking consistency in thought - personally it doesn't matter how the anthem is sung or played (Jimi Hendrix was great), if the crowd (ala New York) begins cheering before the end, or if a crowd intones "Home of the Sioux" at the finish. I only think it is important that we hold consistency as our standard of thought.

I don't sing the anthem - for fear of sounding like that guy from American Idol - William Hung. I like to think I save the singing for those that can sing.

I think what is more bothersome is the occasional a$$ in the crowd that finds the need to yell something during the anthem or fail to remove his cap.

Or those that think they can. :D

I agree about showing respect by removing your hat. Those that don't bother me. If it's a child I gently remind them.

If the national anthem can't be sung in under a minute, it's too slow IMHO. That, and sing it in a low enough key so those who don't normally sing can hit the notes. I would personally like to hear people at every game sing along with the soloist. After all, it's not about the soloist it's about America, right? Besides, most people don't buy a ticket to the game to hear how the anthem will be sung that night, they buy the ticket to see the game. Sing the anthem quickly and correctly and this world would be a better place. Just my $.02....

It seems that we're beating a dead horse here. I served in the military, and I personally don't agree with changing the song, however, this is my opinion. Since I don't agree with it, I don't say it. I don't go around telling people who do say it that it offends me or to stop it. Under the first amendment, it is there right to say it. That is what makes our country so great. The Star Spangled Banner was not written with the Sioux Nation in mind, and I'm pretty sure the Sioux Nation would never adopt the song as one of their own, but is really irrelevant. No matter how much arguing is done, there will always people who disagree with it, and there will always be people who agree with saying it. We control one person, ourselves. However, I'm sure if people who are really against other people saying 'Sioux' instead of 'Brave' could contact Kupchella. Chuck always seems to be looking at new rules to impose on the sports fans supporting the Fighting Sioux. I do feel it should be sung right before the game starts, but I do agree that these people who sing at the rate of molasses should be told to speed it up. It does take away a lot of energy.

1. Regardless of how everyone yells SIOUX at the end of the Anthem, respect is given for the most part. Those jerks who yell something out before or during the anthem is just as disrespectful as those hockey players who leave the line before the color guard has left the arena. The yell harbors no ill will to either the Sioux or the U.S. because it's only one word. People do a lot worse to disrespect the U.S. these days. Look at Reality TV and politicians (most of them) for examples.

2. And I think it is just as disrespectful to embelish the song as it is to not remove your cap. It isn't a song to draw attention to your singing abilities (or in Hung's case, lack thereof). I don't mind whether you sing it fast or slow, but sing it the way it was written. If you want to be Whitney Houston or Mariah Carey, go try out for American Idol. And if you want to be William Hung, keep your mouth shut if ever placed in front of a microphone, even at karaoke night.

Just heard this morning that William Hung's new album will debut in the top 30 of Billboard's charts.

Maybe you should start singing. :D

2. Why not use it? The Sioux and other American Indians were here first so technically it is the home of the Sioux.

So...by that logic...so were Gophers! Therefore, "Gophers" may also be substituted for Brave..Q.E.D. And before all you Sioux lovers start yakkin' about how Gophers aren't brave, but rather yella, have you ever had one cornered?...I thought not.

But seriously, while I am not offended that fans substitute their mascot in for the "Brave," I personally choose NOT TO...because I do believe it vitiates the meaning and intent of singing the anthem in the first place...heck, why not change some of the other words as well? "....gave proof through the night that The Ralph was still there...." :D

I think you are wrong if you think that practice has ended at Mariucci. I will say I was not at Mariucci this year for the first time in many years, so maybe I'm wrong.

You are not wrong. Many people (most of them are in the student section...big surprise) do in fact invoke the name of the Gopher.

Just heard this morning that William Hung's new album will debut in the top 30 of Billboard's charts.

Maybe you should start singing. :silly:

I urge everyone to call their representatives and try and make it a capital offense for anyone buying this album who is not related to this idiot. ;)

Talk about the dumbing down of America. :D

I urge everyone to call their representatives and try and make it a capital offense for anyone buying this album who is not related to this idiot. :silly:

Talk about the dumbing down of America. :D

The dumbing down part will happen when he gets to host his own version of American Idol and then writes a book, and then the movie based on his life titled "America: She Bangs." ;)

1.  Regardless of how everyone yells SIOUX at the end of the Anthem, respect is given for the most part.  Those jerks who yell something out before or during the anthem is just as disrespectful as those hockey players who leave the line before the color guard has left the arena.  The yell harbors no ill will to either the Sioux or the U.S. because it's only one word.  People do a lot worse to disrespect the U.S. these days.  Look at Reality TV and politicians (most of them) for examples.

2.  And I think it is just as disrespectful to embelish the song as it is to not remove your cap.  It isn't a song to draw attention to your singing abilities (or in Hung's case, lack thereof).  I don't mind whether you sing it fast or slow, but sing it the way it was written.  If you want to be Whitney Houston or Mariah Carey, go try out for American Idol.  And if you want to be William Hung, keep your mouth shut if ever placed in front of a microphone, even at karaoke night.

I don't mind whether you sing it fast or slow, but sing it the way it was written.

Ummmm. OK So we shouldn't say sioux or Gopher at the end?

Lots of hypocrites on this board who want it "sung the way it was written" yet still want to ad-lib the end.

If you find it disrespectful to yell Sioux at the end of the anthem don't yell it. I guess there still is freedom of speach. The tradition started by UND is used all over the midwest. Prosonally I feel it is disrespectful so I don't yell Huskies when thousands do. But it does not offend me. I think it sounds cool. Its just like media and universities not using the UND mascot name. It is better for some to just not say or write it than fight about it. People are right to stand up for their point of view. Plus I think that issue is dead anyway, at least in Central MN.

Good luck to the Sioux.

Lots of hypocrites on this board who want it "sung the way it was written" yet still want to ad-lib the end.

Ummm...no. I said the singer should sing it the way it was written. We have no control over anyone else who wants to ad-lib at the end.