SiouxSports.com Forum

Olympic Hockey Rosters

redwing77

What would you like to see become of Olympic Hockey?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. What would you like to see become of Olympic Hockey?

• 1. Go back to Amateur hockey players
    • 2. Make it a ballot-based All-Star set up
    • 3. Keep it like it is
    • 4. There's such thing as Olympic Hockey?

Ok, it's been a whole season since I've created a Poll. I waited until the season was over to do so just so that I woudn't distract the board away from the Sioux season. Now that it's over, here it goes.

I started this poll because I was thinking how wonderful it would be if we went back to the same Olympic sports setup that was featured in 1980, where the coach and committee was in charge of putting together an excellent team together that were not superstars or even NHL players (though some were drafted). I would say this should be across the board, including basketball and baseball.

I don't imagine this would hold players in college or send those who have the option to jump right to the pros from high school to college, but it would benefit those who did go to college during that time.

The second option would be a lot like the current NHL All-Star or MLB All Star setup. We'd vote who we'd like to see on the US Hockey team.

This poll may be fluff, but at least it's not who is "hotter"

I think it would be cool to have it be amatuers just to see them all play together, but that's not likely to happen.

What would really be cool would be a west vs. east college game. Kinda like the all star game, except for hockey. Just to see the best college hockey players all play together would be really fun to watch. Especially since we don't often get to see players from across the country play very much.

I think it would be cool to have it be amatuers just to see them all play together, but that's not likely to happen.

What would really be cool would be a west vs. east college game. Kinda like the all star game, except for hockey. Just to see the best college hockey players all play together would be really fun to watch. Especially since we don't often get to see players from across the country play very much.

That is a really great idea. Maybe even a senior game and hold them the weekend before the FF or with the FF.

A West vs East college game and skills competition would be a great thing, but there's realistically no market.

And what I meant by amateurs, was that the entire olympics went amateur. Not just the US or even Canadian Olympic teams. The whole thing.

I voted for this option because if I wanted to watch a "Dream Team" setup, I'd watch the all star games of that prospective sport. And Miracle hit on something that (whether Herb said it or not) I really think is personified in the amateur market that isn't so much for the pro or paid markets. And that is true pride. They are playing for their country and not in some all star capacity, but because they earned the slot by practicing hard, playing hard, and being solid (as much as possible) cohesively without the distraction of pro contracts, obligations, or whatever.

And I also hold the opinion that college athletes play harder than pro athletes because they want to get noticed. And as selfish as that seems, their play is improved. Pro players play for pride, sure, but win or lose they head home to their posh contracts and decent to spectacular lifestyles. Heck, I could live admirably on the league minimum.

A West vs East college game and skills competition would be a great thing, but there's realistically no market.
ESPN wouldn't carry it after the West wins every year. :angry:

This poll may be fluff, but at least it's not who is "hotter"

I thought jerseychaser1 was the hotter one. :D

And what I meant by amateurs, was that the entire olympics went amateur. Not just the US or even Canadian Olympic teams. The whole thing.

That logic is flawed since the when the Olympics were played with quote amateurs the Soviet Red Army was anything but amateurs. A lot of their guys were in their late 20-30's and played many (100's) games together as a team, they were in essence professionals because they joined the Soviet Red Army (Symbolically, they were part of the state and in stead of being a soldier their job was to play hockey for their country) and concentrated on hockey only and they left their familes behind to train. Hardly amateurism.