SiouxSports.com Forum

Freshman Class-WCHA Part 5

sprig

Wow, After last year's large (and good) freshman class, this year's smaller group seems to be an even better bunch.

I'd think these freshmen will make a big impact on this year's team, if not right away, at least at sometime into the season.

Nice look at the new frosh, Glenn. Also interesting write-up on goal tender Brandt (-the SCSU game).

Glenn slightly hinted at something that had been discussed on this board after Prpich's verbal, that being his previous exp on defense.

No one on the "lines" thread included Prpich in the d-corp. Yet that possibility still remains he could see time there. There is so much to be optimistic about this season. Last season was one of those that teaches you not to take the good years for granted. Looking forward to seeing what this team will do.

I tend to agree that Prpich might be a good candidate for an offensive-defenseman, and Blais did mention him as a "position player". As we've noted in other threads, it's more common for Canadian players to be two-way players during their careers, as opposed to most Americans who start to specialize when they're 12-13. Much has been made about Prpich's 239 PIM, which is pretty mind-boggling when you consider that's nearly four games in the sin-bin. However, getting an MVP in the BCHL is no easy feat and I think his 57 pts in 57 games shows that he tries to redeem himself in other ways, in addition to laying down the law. ;);)

As for goalies, I think Siembida will probably end up with the job as starter, provided he's worked hard in the off-season, like the rest of the team. ;)

Honestly I think some are focusing too much on his penatly minutes, I couldn't believe that would be an issue since we had Commodore and Mike Could Rack up PIMS with the best of them.

I am sure Blais is aware of how many Pims he has. I believe that UND needs a few guys to muck it up and get dirty, he will compliment Canady quite nicely.

I think in years past UND let teams get away with too much S#!t and this could eleveate some of the BS UND gets from players like Jeff "after Whistle" Taffe and Matt the Goon Demarchi type players.

Goon, I tend to agree with you that if the Sioux can exert a physical punishing presence it will help them out.

However, using Commodore as an example is a broad brush. With the benefit of time we all look back and smile on Commodore's time with the Sioux, and we probably wouldn't change a thing. But if we could, it would be some of the untimely penalties.

If I remember right, Commie was in Blais doghouse, kind of, during the 2000 Championship run because of some penalties he took needlessly, and at bad times. Blais rode him hard to keep him on the straight and narrow. At least that is my memory. And I agree that the tactic did work.

An aside on Commodore. I just watched the 1999 Final Five semi against MN. Man was that team fast and skilled. Anyway, Commodore was such a physical presence out there. On 2 occasions in the first 2 periods he rushed the puck into the MN zone, and then flattened the gopher player who came to challenge him. Just flattened him. (And Mazurak parked Spehar into the Sioux bench. ;) ) Man, Commie was an animal. He was huge.

It's easy to get excited about the newcomers when their past accomplishments are laid out like that. It's only fair to note that last year's preseason analysis of the freshmen was also a fun read, with piles of points and accolades to match. While that class still has a chance to be very good, it would be revisionist history to suggest that they didn't struggle at times last year.

I've heard some nice things about Genoway and Parise, and I hope Fylling does well, as a Western ND boy, but the biggest factor in the team's success this year (besides the obvious - decent goaltending) will be the progress made by the big fat sophomore class, IMO.

I'm already counting on solid production from Bochenski and McMahon, but two or three of the rest of the group (Canady, Connelly, Fournier and Massen) need to step up and produce offensively, not be just hard-workers. Likewise, the three defensemen need to have grown, especially in their own-zone puck movement. In terms of production, for some strange reason I expect Fuher to step up and be one of the leaders there. He seemed to have a pretty decent knack for stepping up into the play.

Despite the fact that my post has a cautionary tone, I'm very excited about the season. Even though I know some players will disappoint, and others will surprise, right now I can only imagine the best for each. Several months ago I predicted that at least ten Sioux players would score ten-plus goals this year, and I still think that. Lots of balance and depth, similar to the 1997-99 teams. To complete the comparison, though, they need a few players to develop into stars.

Dagies is right about Commodore. He did have a tendency to take some bad penalites that landed him in Blais' doghouse. I remember Blais sitting him for an extra game after one of his game DQs. I also think that because of his reputation, he had a fair number of non-penalties called on him.

There were times during the 2000 NCAA playoffs when I was darn glad that Commodore was there, such as when a Niagara player ran Kollar and a BC player slashed Goehring in the head during the championship game. Opposing teams knew that with Commodore around, there would be a higher price to pay than a trip to the penalty box.

But it's also true that bad or untimely penalties can cost the team. During the 1999-2000 season, Commodore took a penalty late in third period against Mankato that cost the Sioux the game. We all know that players who develop bad reputations can become "penalty magnets," which can also hurt.

For example, after watching replays of the 2000 Frozen Four, I believe that at least two of the penalties called against Commodore in the Maine and BC games were totally bogus. Fortunatley, the Sioux won the championship in spite of those calls. But I doubt that we'd have such fond memories of Mike if UND had lost the championship because of them.

Prpich could be a great asset to this season's Sioux team. I hope he will because I thought last season's team took much more than it dished out. But I also think that unless Prpich cuts down his penalty minutes, we won't see him in the starting lineup very often.

Prpich has the credentials to be a "big goal" guy. Look at the powerplay, shorty, and game-winning numbers he put up in the BCHL. Those "big goals" (killer instinct goals, back-breakers that close out opponents) were missing last year. He appears to have that nack.

Another thing missing was a right shot from the left side of the powerplay. (Schneekloth was over there but had to take passes on the backhand. He couldn't get off a quick one-timer.)

With his defensive experience and powerplay history Prpich would be nice to have out there, but he's a lefty too. ;)

Of course, none of this matters if he's living in the sin bin (or press box after too much time in the bin). ;);)

It's odd how teams/players need to worry about the penalty box and the suspensions that occur if they fight. Huge change since the college game in the early 80's and before.

Taffe's after the whistle stuff (as well as Orpik's and Gionta's in the championship two years ago) would never have lasted then. It's also odd with the absence of fighting that so much cheap crap is allowed, and only retaliation brings penalties.

Commie took care of business on that end, but had to tread lightly after a 1, then 3 game supension. One more would have been the season. In spite of that, the pinstripes had their eye on him and he did not, after his fighting suspensions, get away with the physical stuff in front of the net that others that hadn't had fighting majors got away with. As a result, lots of minors for Commie that he may not have had without the majors. Got to be hard to play that way.

Much as I'd like to see a Sioux take care of someone throwing the cheap stuff (Taffe, Demarchi), it has the possibility of hurting the team in the long run (in addition to the suspensions). But, I'll still be happy if someone takes it on himself (Prpich?) to straighten someone out. Just don't do it against teams like Canisius and Manitoba. No use wasting one there.

Which brings up one more schedule complaint. Teams like Manitoba can come in a goon it up with no future suspensions or penalties, while the Sioux players who take it upon themselves to straighten out the goon (like Schneider last year) get suspended for a game.

I agree that it sucks that in a game with Manitoba, the NCAA rules still apply.

Regarding Prpich, the guy is what 6' 180#. Not exactly huge. Do we know if he is a brawler, or does he just use his stick. I'm not trying to be an ass. I just want to know what kind of penalties he got. Does he take a lot of dumb tripping penalties, or does he go off because he's straightening out the BCHL versions of Taffe while they are working the corner. Just wondering.

Believe the Panther fan described Prpich as a scrapper, who got into it when necessary to fire up the team. Kind of an Archie sized guy, not that we need another Archie. Don't think a crazy like that would make it by today's NCAA rules.

In reguards to worrying about suspensions it looks like we are going to have a lot of guys to fill in if someone gets a one gamer.

Prpich has the credentials to be a "big goal" guy. Look at the powerplay, shorty, and game-winning numbers he put up in the BCHL.

I don't think it is going to hurt having a few guys to put the puck in the net at important times. It seems like last season we lacked that. Gritty goals also help a lot. Lee Goren scored a lot of goals right in front of the net. Maybe Prpich can fill that role.

• 2 weeks later...

Question on Parise.

For those who have seen this guy play before, is he a goal scorer, or a set-up guy?

With his huge numbers at Shattuck, my perception is a set-up guy that can put the puck away too. However, with the talented linemates he had, maybe he is a better finisher?

Curious what people who know more might think.

The greatest natural goal scorer he has ever seen.

The above statement was reported by "SockeyeSioux," parent to a current player. (The "he" in that statement is Sockeye's son.) I believe I'm pretty safe in saying that "son" has seen some guys play in the USHL and the WCHA. That's a pretty solid stand-alone statement.

I was told the following:

He's wherever the puck is, or is it the puck wherever he is.

The Sicatoka

Posted on Sep 9 2002, 04:36 PM

The greatest natural goal scorer he has ever seen.

The above statement was reported by "SockeyeSioux," parent to a current player. (The "he" in that statement is Sockeye's son.) I believe I'm pretty safe in saying that "son" has seen some

guys play in the USHL and the WCHA. That's a pretty solid stand-alone statement.

Sicatoka,

Would that be be while he was playing in the USHL for for Waterloo?

Although I have been reading this board diligently since its inception, I have yet to post, however, besides being a huge Sioux hockey fan, to which the Goon can attest, I am also friends with Tyler Palmiscno and he indicated last week that Parise is even better than all the hype, can score from anywhere, and will, without question, be the best player on the team this year!!!

I know that is a bold statement, but keep in mind it is coming from a teammate of Parise's, someone who is fighting for ice time who wouldn't otherwise heap praise unless it was true.

Getting just a little bit anxious to see this team. Don't suppose any of the FOX sports net stations are picking up the Buffalo tourney. Would guess the Detroit station would be the only chance with Mich. there. Not likely. Stuck with streaming audio again.

But has he been working on making that glove hand quicker, when he's tending the goal?

Seriously, I hope he turns out to be a great player, but he's just a freshman (and small and young) and I think I'll keep my expectations in that neighborhood and hope for an upside surprise.

If he's that good, then it should be an historic year for newcomers into the WCHA, as Brett Sterling outscored Parise in the World U-18 tourney, and Guyer, Vanek, Gauthier and Skinner all have outstanding resumes as well.

OK, so my expectations are a little higher than for a small, young freshman, but you get the general impression.

PHE:

Sockeye Sioux made the statement here:

http://siouxsports.com/forums/index.php?s=...f=1&t=257&st=55

I'd guess the assessment was based on skating with Parise over the summer. (And I'd guess the son played a few games somewhere in the USHL. I'm pretty sure I know who Sockeye Sioux is but it isn't mine to say.)

Yes, you guys know which Sioux I'm the parent of. Canady, #22. We are VERY proud of him and so delighted he is in Grand Forks. We also have a daughter attending UND as well. She is a Junior this year. We'll be down for the week of October 20th. Three games in five days. Yahoo! :-) Can hardly wait.

Brian, too, tells us the same things about Zach Parise. He is better than all the hype. Crosses the blue line and takes the shot. Ping~ping... it's in! I'm glad he's a Sioux. :-) Brian also tells us Brandt is looking great as well.

I think everyone is excited to get the season started.