SiouxSports.com Forum

Early Departure Speculation

dagies

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For all the grief gopher fans give Blais and praise and reverence they heap on Lucia, let's compare how the 2 handle their players who are in a position to leave early.

Seems to me generally Blais is talking up their abilities. Even last year Lucia was saying "we don't have anybody ready to go pro". Wonder if he watched any New Jersey games this year. If I remember correctly Lucia complained that Martin took so long to make a decision, yet maybe had he encouraged Martin a little more maybe Martin would have made that decision a little more timely.

Lucia would be an idiot to come out and say Vanek isn't ready to move on and he knows it. But his comments are hardly an endorsement either.

Ok, I admit it. I don't know what's going on behind the scenes, but that's the way it looks on the surface.

If you have pro aspirations, you have to ask yourself which of these coaches is going to help you move on to the next level?

"Ok, I admit it. I don't know what's going on behind the scenes, but that's the way it looks on the surface"

This can be applied to us as Gopher fans as well. We really DON'T know what goes on behind the scenes with DB and it is quite frankly showing our ignornance when we comment on him with only speculation as our basis.

I think it can be said that both Lucia's and Blais's records speak for themselves in regards to winning and having their players move on to success at the next level. Anything else is just nit-picking based on your rooting interest.

BTW, with goaltending issues and the loss of a terrific senior class plus very likely losing both Vanek, and Ballard, Minnesota could be looking at a very long year next year. Might be a nice year to be a Sioux fan and heap a little abuse on Gopher Nation.

Wanting him and being willing to pay for him may be two completely different things. I don't know that the Oilers have much money to be throwing around, but we'll see. This article smacks of a ploy by the Oilers to lowball Matty by telling him, in effect, "You may not like the offer, but if you don't come now, we may not have a spot for you later". I hope our Mean Greene Machine is back with the Sioux next year, but if not, I wish him well and hope he can crack the big club's lineup without spending significant time in the minors.

I think Matt Greene will be back. The Oilers don't have a lot of money to throw around whats the point if there isn't going to be a season next season anyways.

If you have pro aspirations, you have to ask yourself which of these coaches is going to help you move on to the next level?
Jordan Leopold and Travis Roche...both first-team All-Americans, much different paths to signing a pro contract, much different NHL careers.

If I remember correctly Lucia complained that Martin took so long to make a decision, yet maybe had he encouraged Martin a little more maybe Martin would have made that decision a little more timely.

You remember incorrectly. Lucia never complained....he was quoted as saying it's a shame that Paul would not have the opportunity to be on the All-American mural at Mariucci because he probably would have been the best d-man in the country.

Even last year Lucia was saying "we don't have anybody ready to go pro". Wonder if he watched any New Jersey games this year.
I don't remember anyone predicting Martin would have made the transition as well as he did. Most people thought Martin and Hale would see some time with the Devils along with some time in the minors.

Lucia would be an idiot to come out and say Vanek isn't ready to move on and he knows it. But his comments are hardly an endorsement either.

Let me get this straight...what did Sioux fans say about Vanek ALL season....he's Randy Moss, he plays when he wants to play, he's lazy. THEN Vanek's own head coach virtually agrees with all of you (in gentler terms)....and he gets ripped.

Jordan Leopold and Travis Roche...both first-team All-Americans, much different paths to signing a pro contract, much different NHL careers.

Chuck Kobasew...how's his NHL career going?

You remember incorrectly. Lucia never complained....he was quoted as saying it's a shame that Paul would not have the opportunity to be on the All-American mural at Mariucci because he probably would have been the best d-man in the country.
I don't remember Lucia complaining either. I'm sure he was disappointed, but who wouldn't be?

I don't remember anyone predicting Martin would have made the transition as well as he did. Most people thought Martin and Hale would see some time with the Devils along with some time in the minors.

I'll agree here too. I thought for sure that Hale and Martin would be seeing a lot of time in Albany this year...not the case. Both had pretty good first years.

Let me get this straight...what did Sioux fans say about Vanek ALL season....he's Randy Moss, he plays when he wants to play, he's lazy. THEN Vanek's own head coach virtually agrees with all of you (in gentler terms)....and he gets ripped.

We've also said he was lazy because he may have been bored with the college game. And we're not the only ones who have said he needs to work harder...your Gopher fans have said so too.

We've also said he was lazy because he may have been bored with the college game. And we're not the only ones who have said he needs to work harder...your Gopher fans have said so too.

Exactly...but some people here think Lucia should blow sunshine instead of pointing out an area in Vanek's game that he needs to work on. Nowhere in the article did he say he should stay in school to work on that weakness.

Exactly...but some people here think Lucia should blow sunshine instead of pointing out an area in Vanek's game that he needs to work on. Nowhere in the article did he say he should stay in school to work on that weakness.

I think it is personal choice on whether he should have told Vanek he would be better off in college for at least another year. What I don't get is why Lucia acted like Vanek was great when he was playing there. Why didn't he ever call him out for being inconsistent and defensively-deficient? Why bother to do it, however subtle it is, when it doesn't matter?

• 1 month later...
good article, jk.

I've often seen assistant captains referred to as "captains". That could account for the comments on either Jones or Greene being "captain".

Aren't captains voted on by the team during the first week of practice? :D

I don't know, because I think some DI teams already have named their captains. Who knows.

The only thing I know, thanks to help from a neighbor for the numbers, is that dry land starts in just over 30 days. If anyone departs it will be before those days expire. If no one does, we're all back! At least, that's what I think. And, once the roster is set in stone, I think that is when they'll start thinking about captains.