SiouxSports.com Forum

USA Today blurb on ZPar and NJ Devils

beg2differ

From a hockey column in 3/26 USA Today:

"The Devils have long been patient with their draft picks, but there is speculation in the hockey world that they are pondering whether to try to sign North Dakota standout Zach Parise, who was the leading scorer at the World Junior Championships. The consensus is that Parise, son of former NHL player J.P. Parise, isn't quite ready yet, but he is very skilled and he knows how to play defense. It might be fun to have him around for the playoffs. Wisconsin defenseman Ryan Suter (Nashville Predators) could also be a candidate to be signed after his team is through with the NCAA tournament."

From a hockey column in 3/26 USA Today:

"The Devils have long been patient with their draft picks, but there is speculation in the hockey world that they are pondering whether to try to sign North Dakota standout Zach Parise, who was the leading scorer at the World Junior Championships. The consensus is that Parise, son of former NHL player J.P. Parise, isn't quite ready yet, but he is very skilled and he knows how to play defense. It might be fun to have him around for the playoffs. Wisconsin defenseman Ryan Suter (Nashville Predators) could also be a candidate to be signed after his team is through with the NCAA tournament."

Read the key sentence "Isn't quite ready yet" translation will be around next season gaining valuable experience and helping UND win an NCAA title.

Beg to differ seems like he is almost a troll trying to get people excited and worked up. Alright I am now taking 5 deep breaths.

I wouldn't put any credibility into that article whatsoever. Have they seen Parise play? Have they talked to Blais? Have they talked to the Devils' coach? This article is just some east-coast reporter who wants Parise to leave so his precious BC Eagles and Maine Bears can win some titles.

You all may not put much credibility into that specific article, but CLEARLY Parise hasn't gone all season unnoticed. The kid can play, and Jersey knows it. Ask yourself this: would anybody who knows hockey be shocked if Parise signs a pro contract after the NCAA tournament? I sure wouldn't. Same goes for Ballard and Vanek. All three are going to the NHL...it's just a matter of when.

You all may not put much credibility into that specific article, but CLEARLY Parise hasn't gone all season unnoticed. The kid can play, and Jersey knows it. Ask yourself this: would anybody who knows hockey be shocked if Parise signs a pro contract after the NCAA tournament? I sure wouldn't. Same goes for Ballard and Vanek. All three are going to the NHL...it's just a matter of when.

I don't think it would be a surprise for the fact that they would want to sign him. However with the state that the NHL is going to be in next year, it would not be a good business decision to pay him to come there and then quite possibly there might not be an NHL season next year.

I, like many others, hope that he hangs around

It might be fun to have him around for the playoffs. Wisconsin defenseman Ryan Suter (Nashville Predators) could also be a candidate to be signed after his team is through with the NCAA tournament."

Could he even play in the playoffs? Don't teams have to have their playoff roster set in advance?

I couldn't see Suter leaving this year, I can't remember the last time a freshman left to play in the NHL (Kariya?) Even Heatley stayed around for 2 years. What would be the point in going to college for one year, frankly I don't see the point for going any less than 3 years. I understand some develop faster than others, but if a player is looking for an pro fast track - it's called Major Juniors.

Could he even play in the playoffs? Don't teams have to have their playoff roster set in advance?

I couldn't see Suter leaving this year, I can't remember the last time a freshman left to play in the NHL (Kariya?) Even Heatley stayed around for 2 years. What would be the point in going to college for one year, frankly I don't see the point for going any less than 3 years. I understand some develop faster than others, but if a player is looking for an pro fast track - it's called Major Juniors.

Travis Roche?

David Tanabe?

Chuck Kobasew?

Roche played two seasons 99-00 and 00-01.

After losing in the championship game to BC, he spent the next day playing for the Wild. I guess I should have clarified I was replying to the question about "Could he play in the playoffs." Which I'm not too sure about.

I wouldn't be so fast to call beg2differ a troll over this. If he came on and started a thread simply saying "ZPar is gone after this season, so you can start crying and whining now" I'd be in agreement. He stated a USA Today blurb.

I don't hold USA Today as the most credible newspaper out there, but still, it was a post about ZPar and it does show an attitude some in the hockey world have regarding ZPar.

Leave the needless trolling to Back2Back.

In a radio interview with Tim Hennessy the other day, Zach said he'd talk with his father about his decision to go pro after the season is over. There doesn't seem to be much point in speculating when not even he knows what he's going to do.

One thing is for certain, he must do what is best for him, and not UND. He has made great decisions so far, including choosing the best college hockey program in the country, and he has his parents hockey wisdom to fall back on. Whichever route he chooses I am thankful for the time he has spent at UND and, whether he leaves after this year's Sioux National Championship :lol: or after next years ;);) , it's been a pleasure to have watched him play.

GO SIOUX!!!

The heck with that! Zach needs to stop thinking of himself. He needs to do what is good for the many (UND) not what is good for the one (Zach). :lol:

Will he be worshiped in New Jersey like he is here? I think not. ;)

I imagine Zach's doing the smart thing, and not thinking about NJ at all right now; he has other business to attend to, winning a National Championship. Thinking about the jump to NJ would be a bothersome distraction; there's time for that later.

The kid has lived a charmed hockey life, winning championships all along the way. From taking the MAC's several times, to USA Midget AAA, to World 18U, to World Juniors. I think he really wants a NCAA Championship before he sets his sights on the pro ranks and the Stanley Cup.

Even if the Sioux win this year, I still think he'll be back in Grand Forks for another year, so relax all you rabid fans. This is the kid who stayed at SSM instead of uprooting and spending 2-3 years at Ann Arbor; the kid who chose the Sioux, in part due to the setting -- a smaller place than the Twin Cities, a place where hockey is king, and a place still pretty close to home. I rather imagine he's enjoying himself just fine, thank you, and will decide to stay put for a while.