SiouxSports.com Forum

Article on Spirko

CoteauRinkRat

Excerpts.

---------------------

"He's the most dynamic player in our league," Littler said. "If he were 6 feet, NHL teams would be all over him."

"He's a very special player," Littler said. "He moves very well east to west as well as from north to south. And when he has the puck, he's a finisher."

Littler said it's unclear whether Spirko will join UND next season or whether he'll spend one more season with Tri-City.

Littler said that Spirko is probably smaller than the size he's listed at, which is 5-9 and 175 pounds.

----------------------

Sounds very small. Hopefully small like a Panzer or Hoogsteen. It's not fair to throw names like that around for a recruit, but UND has had some luck with smaller guys.

On another related note, Dan Bertram just committed to BC. He is probably the top forward recruit in the nation, although he will be just 17 as he accelerated, so he might not have a huge impact right away. I know I was holding out some small hope that UND might be able to get into the mix for him, but it sounds like he might be more of a city kid, being from Calgary.

I like the "east west" talk about Spirko's skating ability. We can use some more of that on our team to blend with our larger physical players. Will be fun to see him play.

Too bad we didn't land Bertram but sounds as if we weren't in the list of finalists. At least we don't have to listen to our maroon and gold brothren next door crow about their new recruit.

I kind of hope that Spirko stays another year in the USHL. UND won't lose a lot this year and they already have Zajac and Kaip who should step in. After next year the Sioux will lose a lot of talent. It would be nice to have a freshman class with forwards like Duncan and Spirko already signed!!

Also, I'm really excited that the Gophers didn't sign Bertram!!

Hmmmm, just when Lundblum is on his way out maybe we can find another name to bewilder Woog. ;)

Next year will be the first in 7 years I won't be able to yell at the TV " LUND- BOHM you idiot LUND-BOHM slow down and pronunciate". ;) I'm sure I'll still find something to yell at Wooger about, any suggestions?

I've seen this kid play maybe 30 times this year. He started out the year on fire. The second half of the year he's been settling into a play-maker role and getting caught up on his assists ;).

He is the real deal. His size is the only thing he has going against him.

One of the best puck handlers I've ever seen.

We'll gladly hold onto him for another year if it suits everyone there. ;)

Hey - It would'nt be hard to skate better than Vanek. I know he scores goals, but I swear, he's one lazy hockey player. Plays his position, floats around (not breaking a sweat while everyone else is working thier ass off) and waits for the puck to come to him. At the Final 5 I yelled at him several times - "Vanek move your feet!", but he did'nt really seem to take note. I also noticed that he had a hard time making it over the boards to get back on the bench. I think that wherever he goes in the pros the coach is going to have to lay some serious woop-ass on him to get him going. Looking forward to seeing the new guy in the Herald article. He seems like a go getter and that he'll also be someone who will keep team moral up too. "Always smiling" is a good thing. Should be fun to watch! ;)

Hmmmm, just when Lundblum is on his way out maybe we can find another name to bewilder Woog. :lol:

It doesn't take much to bewilder Dougie when it comes to pronunciations. Just think if he had to say "Mazacco" regularly. I think his mis-pronunciations are endearing and entertaining. On a related note, did you hear all the love he was giving the Sioux and especially Bochenski & Parise in the Final 5 Championship? I just replayed it (you have to tape it when it's a "hang a banner" game) and thought he'd be wearing green between periods. Perhaps he thought it was still St.Patty's day.

On a related note, did you hear all the love he was giving the Sioux and especially Bochenski & Parise in the Final 5 Championship?

You mean like when he tried to paint Parise as a goalie runner? I'm sure all Sioux fans appreciated that as much as his "phantom assists" in Grand Forks comments. :lol: