SiouxSports.com Forum

Gophers at Sioux

sioux fan in phoenix

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thx for the compliment, but I don't think the Sioux team is very proud of their overall effort & execution.

I totally agree. I came into this game thinking that the Sioux wouldn't have nearly as many costly turnovers as UMD did against the Gophers. Man, I was sure wrong about that. I haven't seen the Sioux make that many bonehead plays all season long.

Blais was right. If the entire team isn't pulling in the same direction and isn't committed, then Sioux won't win a national championship. He said after the game that there are still players who are merely along as passengers.

The good news is that this team has gone through stretches when it hasn't played well and then recovered to play well when it needed to. If the Sioux were going to lose a game in the playoffs, this was the one to lose.

Congrats to UM. Sounded like a great game to watch. I'm hoping the Sioux head out this way to CS. IMO, the two of the three best teams in the country played tonight (UMD being the third). I hope the seeding pans out where a Sioux - Gopher final would be possible. However, as someone earlier pointed out, a semifinal matchup would be more likely.

If we want to talk about Adam, what about the whistle he blew when the Sioux would've had a 2 on 0? That was definately a call that didn't need to be made.

Not only that, but when they showed the replay, it didn't look like any Gopher player was even close to being in the crease.

Not only that, but when they showed the replay, it didn't look like any Gopher player was even close to being in the crease.

LOL

Game Winner Potulny had a skate in. If the Gophers had blasted one in and had another waived off I don't think you'd be complaining about the quick whistle.

Game Winner Potulny had a skate in.  If the Gophers had blasted one in and had another waived off I don't think you'd be complaining about the quick whistle.

I'm not complaining about it. I just couldn't figure out what in the heck the officials were looking at to blow the whistle.

Anyone have any idea on how pairwise bonus is determined or how tiebreakers are decided? Right now, CC sits tied for 13 in pairwise with teams outside the 16 getting auto bids (Niagara, Holy Cross, Harvard). Does this mean they have a chance to get in?

I totally agree. I came into this game thinking that the Sioux wouldn't have nearly as many costly turnovers as UMD did against the Gophers. Man, I was sure wrong about that. I haven't seen the Sioux make that many bonehead plays all season long.

Blais was right. If the entire team isn't pulling in the same direction and isn't committed, then Sioux won't win a national championship. He said after the game that there are still players who are merely along as passengers.

The good news is that this team has gone through stretches when it hasn't played well and then recovered to play well when it needed to. If the Sioux were going to lose a game in the playoffs, this was the one to lose.

You'd expect those kind of brainfarts in the 1st month of the season, not in the WCHA championship game. I don't know what caused them to underperform & commit simple errors as I didn't see the game; but not a good sign at this point in the season. What gets me most besides the simple mistakes is the fact that there are guys out there not giving it 100%. Blais needs to have a "come to Jesus meeting" with some of them before the tournament rolls around.

You'd expect those kind of brainfarts in the 1st month of the season, not in the WCHA championship game. I don't know what caused them to underperform & commit simple errors as I didn't see the game; but not a good sign at this point in the season.

All the talk leading up to the game was that it was a meaningless, throwaway game. The Sioux played the first period as if that's the way they looked at it.

They woke up in the second period and began to play as well as they are capable of playing. But once they got the lead, they got sloppy again and it cost them. It wasn't even close to a 60-minute effort.

Maybe the Gophers had something to do with both the 'dogs and UND's turnovers. Give the Gophers some credit.

I knew if I came to your site, there would be many complaining about the reffing. That's certainly a constant. I spend far more time on the POI site after a loss and they rarely spend so much time complaining about how the refs screwed us.

I was very surprised at the Sioux lineup tonight. It was a surprise to see Massen play, and he looked a tad rusty. Prpich looks a bit slower than usual.

At a point in the season when most squads are going with the same roster and line combos, the Sioux are still changing pretty much every night.

OTOH, I was not surprised at the way the Sioux coaches used their roster tonight... we didn't see extra shifts for Zach and Bo in the last 5 minutes, like we would in an elimination game.

I was also surprised that we didn't try to pressure U-MN's defensive corps with a heavy forecheck. Its a strategy that worked for UMD, and worked for us earlier this season. The only reason I can think not to would be if you didn't want to show your cards, save something for a possible frozen four semifinal.

All of which hints that the coaches took the attitude of using the game as a tuneup talent-evaluation game, rather than a win at any cost.

Next game, tho, starts the lose-and-its-golf-season routine. I expect the tactics to be quite a bit different.

I saw an event tonite. I'm not even going to try and analyze the play. This game was exciting from a fan's perspective. More twists and turns and suspence than a good mystery novel, cold dead chances that were and weren't converted on, heavy hitting, some scrums, outstanding individual efforts.

I'm spent, and I'm not even that disappointed. This game could have gone either way. We made a couple more mistakes the ended up costing us than the gophers otherwise I thought we played them fairly even, though the game had ups and downs at times for both teams.

This kind of game is why I'm a college hockey fan. What a great time.

I love my Sioux.

That was a heck of a game, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't extremely disappointed. To have our team out-goalied by the likes of Briggs is almost beyond belief. Unfortunately, my friends, that was the difference. Other things:

First UMN PP (on which they scored) was BOoOoOogus! 2nd UMN goal was offside by like 10 !@%^($%#&$#*%^ feet! Why was UMN's 3rd goal waved off? Looked like it was just under the cross bar to me (no replay at the People's Republic of Minnesota Excel Energy Center, of course).

Now I shall enter into a rant that would in no way be posted had the Sioux won. How the heck is it that Scott Hennen announces the afternoon game today, yet when the Sioux, the alleged (and I stress alleged) home team, plays, they get the UMN rink announcer for the championship game? It cannot be argued with any HINT of credibility, that the UMN rink announcer even deserves mention in the same sentence as Scott Hennen. Their rink announcer is barely adequate and that is all. Scott Hennen is without peer. Second, the lower seed, regardless of whether it is the all-undeserving-yet-all-powerful UMN, should not be allowed to have their cheerleaders, 'ice-dance' team, or band at the game (for the love of Pete, let's try to maintain some semblance of objectivity and earned status, shall we?).

On another note: I hope the unholy trio of the Potulny bros. and Irmen find their traitorous actions to be worth their immortal souls. Clearly, UMN would not be near the team they are without them.

I was at the game and stayed for the after-game awards, despite the unfortuitous outcome. When Bo was named to the all-tourney team, the typically ungracious UMN fans rode him hard concerning his past indiscretions. One of the most vocal offenders was right in front of me. I whispered in his ear that he roots for a heck of team and that he should root for them with the class they deserve. He told me that it was a fact that he had committed his misdeeds, and that as a result he had every right to give him grief. I told him, much to his confusion, that I was not disputing his right to give him grief, nor the facts of the matter, but that to mention them at the time of his well-deserved award was without class. I wish I could say that this was atypical of my first-hand experience with UMN fans. Sadly, I cannot.