SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Sports Extra

geaux_sioux

1 hour ago, F'n Hawks said:

The guy that blocked the punt wasn't even blocked

That's when the punter needs to call time out or have a max protect call to pull everyone  in before the snap. Maybe he thought he could get kick off in time. Either way.. I don't think it will happen again this season. We learn from our experiences. Tough to see Clive get injured giving 100%. 

8 hours ago, Old School Guy said:

Not blaming the punter. The SB alignment seemed like guys were unaccounted for because we were not lines up directly in front of the guy that blocked the punt. On kick teams...most are taught to block inside gap. The guy that blocked it didn't have to cross anyone's face to get to punter. He had a clear path. 

Not that at all.  One guy forgot to block his man.  End of story.

The UND protection blocks out and anyone that wants to rush inside will get picked up by the wall of protectors in front of the punter.

No different than an offensive lineman missing his guy on a running play.  

11 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

If Labat gets a piece of that guy they don't block that punt and we probably win. 

Or if Studsrud doesn't fumble in SBU territory. 

Or if Georges doesn't fumble on the goal line.

Or if UND converts on the 4th & 1 near the end of the game.

The score is kept for the entire game. Not accusing you of dismissing that, but it is easy to overlook so that's why I mention it here. Armchair quarterbacking is all about picking out single plays here and there and not looking at the big picture. 

UND was great on defense. On offense, however, it was like they forgot to get off the bus. They didn't play UND offensive football AT ALL! Poor ball security with lost fumbles and inability to run the ball on first down and short yardage is NOT how UND wants to play offense. Bubba and Rudolph and, most importantly, the offensive players need to fix that, and fast. 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, UND-1 said:

Not that at all.  One guy forgot to block his man.  End of story.

The UND protection blocks out and anyone that wants to rush inside will get picked up by the wall of protectors in front of the punter.

No different than an offensive lineman missing his guy on a running play.  

If UND protection blocks out versus protecting inside gap which is shortest distance to kicker....there is more to the story than Labat missing a block. Can't go back and redo it now. Hope we get all corrections made this week. Kicking game can win or lose games. It is what It is. 

5 minutes ago, Old School Guy said:

If UND protection blocks out versus protecting inside gap which is shortest distance to kicker....there is more to the story than Labat missing a block. Can't go back and redo it now. Hope we get all corrections made this week. Kicking game can win or lose games. It is what It is. 

The shortest distance to the kicker runs into a wall.  The punt return team needs to match up with how UND is lined up, which is spread out wide along the LOS.  This isn't the 80-90's anymore, the schemes have changed.  

2 hours ago, UND-1 said:

The shortest distance to the kicker runs into a wall.  The punt return team needs to match up with how UND is lined up, which is spread out wide along the LOS.  This isn't the 80-90's anymore, the schemes have changed.  

I coach currently...so I know very well schemes have changed. They managed to block the punt; scoop and score. So I would say we need to adjust before Saturday to avoid happening again this season. 

4 minutes ago, Old School Guy said:

I coach currently...so I know very well schemes have changed. They managed to block the punt; scoop and score. So I would say we need to adjust before Saturday to avoid happening again this season. 

What part of "one guy forgot to block his man" don't you understand?  Go watch the replay on Stony Brooks website and you will see that no other SB players could have blocked the punt.  Only the guy that didn't get blocked.  :silly:

7 hours ago, UND-1 said:

What part of "one guy forgot to block his man" don't you understand?  Go watch the replay on Stony Brooks website and you will see that no other SB players could have blocked the punt.  Only the guy that didn't get blocked.  :silly:

If it makes you feel better to blame one guy on one play for losing the game...knock yourself out buddy. I doubt very seriously a player forgets to block his man when he is out there to be a part of the punt protection. That's hilarious. 

Just now, Old School Guy said:

If it makes you feel better to blame one guy on one play for losing the game...knock yourself out buddy. I doubt very seriously a player forgets to block his man when he is out there to be a part of the punt protection. That's hilarious. 

If he's expecting the man in front of him to drop instead of rush it's entirely possible. !@#$ happens. Another game changing play is Cole Reyes falling on that fumble he forced instead of scooping for an easy score. It was a team loss as all are but there are some team wins on the horizon.