SiouxSports.com Forum

Tunity: Being the lone college hockey fan in the bar just got easier

KirkEisenbeis

I had a wonderful discovery at the sports bar today, there is an app called Tunity that allows my phone to stream the audio of a muted TV in real-time. Being the lone college hockey fan in the bar while watching a muted TV just got a lot better.

The app has you point the phone camera at the TV (I guess to verify that you really have access to <channel>), and then the app streams the sound to you. The app also gives you the ability to tweak the audio timing to arrive earlier or later, so you can sync it with your TV broadcast. They advertise that the audio-only stream is just ~20 kbps, which would take almost 8 days straight to accumulate 1 GB of data (my attempt at the math figures 5 days, but okay).

(I had earlier been trying to be clever by picking up a streamed radio broadcast from the UND sports network, but all of the ones I could find lag the Dish broadcast by 15-60 seconds.)

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, ericpnelson said:

Hot tip if you have a Samsung phone, if the bar sucks at changing the channel, help them out and change it yourself with the peel smart remote app

Yeah that's the phone "apps" (theres many) I was talking about....only works with certain phones. I have a samsung phone but don't have the hardware built in...hardware is key.

This thing works with iPhone, so it doesn't require infrared.

Not every channel is supported.  You just take a picture of the TV for it to identify what channel you're watching, then it streams the audio to you.  It's not actually hooking into the TV that you're watching.

I just played with it for a few minutes.  Really awesome!  I hope it's not breaking any laws by streaming the audio, because it might get shut down.

• Upvote 1

Tunity is available at Google Play store for Android, and at the Apple store (or whatever the iPhone app store is called).

BigGreyAnt41 is correct. This app is not communicating with the TV, it only uses a camera images of the TV to tell Tunity which audio channel to stream.

34 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Im wondering if the phone has to have that "infrared" stuff that allows some phones to work as "TV remotes." ??

Now if only there was a way to delay Tim on the IHeartRadio app to sync with a TV we'd all be golden. 

Rewind DVR until it matches up with raffia feed 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...