SiouxSports.com Forum

Future Prospects

dagies

Eric is Wisco's version of Chris!!!.  :(  My feeling is that Eaves might try to land a couple of Wisconsin boys to create more interest in the program amongst semi-casual fans.  

Never heard of either player, and I've haven't heard of Blais & Co. even looking at the NAHL, then again it might not hurt.  But I'd rather they spend their travel/scout time in western Canada or northern Minnesota looking for some tough grinders who can play both ends of the ice.  Then again, talent is where you can find it. :D

Anyone know what is up with Sedevie???  Is he going to UND, Sioux Falls,(or are they trading him), or I heard he might go to Canada and play Juniors??  Any info??

I am excited to see how Brandt and Seimbeda come back into camp this fall.  Should be a fun year!!!!  

Will Sofie get much playing time???

Trying to remember where it was reported last week that Sedevie is headed back to Sioux Falls for this year.

Oh yeah, check out the "new recruits" thread for more info.

Dagies,

Lane is headed back to Sioux Falls, SD. So I guess we have to stomach Ryan Sofie on the bench as a possible back up for one more year. The story was in the Grand Forks Fish Rapper last week I believe.

I wouldn't even call this kid a prospect.  It should be fun to watch him develop close by, even if it is only for one year.

By Alex J. Walling, TSN magazine

Let's see, many claim that Canada is where the best hockey is played and regardless of the strides made by colleges, especially the NCAA, major junior hockey is still a terrific training ground for kids who have a reasonable to decent shot at an NHL career.

But what happens when a kid who is levels above his league can't get into major junior hockey?

By now most of Canada has heard about Dartmouth, Nova Scotia's 14-year-old phenom Sidney Crosby.

He's the bantam aged kid who played midget Triple 'A' in this province and won the scoring title. Some of these kids in the league are 17 years old.

Folks in this province have heard about him for some time but the country got to see him in the recent Air Canada Cup. This 14-year-old, playing against some of the best players in Canada, put on a demonstration earning his team a trip to the final, and for his scintillating performance, Crosby was named the MVP of the event.

Crosby was involved in 22 of the 26 goals that his team scored.

A bantam aged kid, the MVP of the major midget tourney in this country

If he has any college intentions, should be a mad scramble when the time comes. Can be sure he'll show up in a BC line by a USCHO poster.

I'd expect him to go straight to a pro team (or a stop in major junior when he's old enough), if his development continues at the present rate.

A guy that UND is rumored to be looking at is Ben Gordon from International Falls.  Would love to have a guy from that part of the state playing for the Fighting Sioux again if it could work out.  The following quote is from a post on the MN high school hockey board, and appears to be from the I-Falls paper.  According to the poster, UND and Maine have already visited him, and MN is on the way.  Probably others too.  Again, my info is from another poster on another board and we all know how accurate that can be.  Just passing on the speculation.:

I found this in the Daily Journal of International Falls.

Pat Forte is an assistant coach on the team and had some nice things to say about Gordon.

Gordon was the leading scorer in the whole tournament with 3 goals and 9 assists in 6 games.

Quotes from Coach: " He was definitely one of the top two or three forwards in the tournament," Forte said, "He got better and better as the week went on. Once he got used to the pace, he settled in and played his game. And as the games got more important, Ben just got better. When we really needed a goal, Ben was our spark both on the ice and on the bench. He made things happen."

"The sky is the limit for Ben," said Forte, "At this point, I'd put him on par with other great players I have coached in Select 17's, Keith Ballard, Gino Guyer and Zach Parise. He's right in their class."

"Ben is only going to get bigger and faster as he matures physically," said Forte. "I think once he is through playing high school and juniors next year, he'll have his choice of Division I scholarships to take."

From reading the article it looks like Gordon will play Juniors and come back to International Falls for his senior year.

I know nothing of the situation, but this sounds like the classic case that ends with the Gophers winning the recruiting battle for the MN kid, like Guyer and Ballard.  I'm sure Blais has a shot, but I won't be surprised if a close decision goes to the M.  I think it's in their blood.

• 3 weeks later...

On Sid Hartmann's radio program this morning he commented on how strange it is for the Gophers to land 2 players from Grand Forks. He then commented that another GF player was in for a visit "the other day". I am assuming that must have been one of the goaltenders in Lincoln, Ziegelman or Lamouroux. Can anyone think of anyone else?

Lamouroux. Can anyone think of anyone else?

I think Lamouroux is probably going to be a Figthing Sioux. I heard from a buddy that I used to work with that Lamouroux was playing in the scrimage last week. I heard that he was pretty good too...

Didn't Lamoureux's dad play for the Sioux? If you do land Phil, he's a very good goalie, very quick and agile. I had the opportunity to watch him play last season when he was with the Stars. What he doesn't have in size( he's listed as 5-8 135) he makes up for in flexibility and talent. What makes him even more impressive is the fact that he was only 17, and one of the top goalies in the league. He set a new Lincoln record for shut outs with 5.

Ziggy is also a very good goalie, through out the year Phil and Ziggy battled it out for the starting position. There was a stretch where Ziggy was in a funk and was having trouble keeping his mind in the game. But when he is focused he is as good as any goalie out there.

Pierre Lamoureux was a goalie in the early 1980s at UND.

He was overshadowed by some guys named Bob Iwabuchi, Darren Jensen, and Jon Casey. ;)

And don't worry about stature. UND has a history with smallish goalies. It's not like anyone will ever confuse the Timberwolves "KG" with UND's "KG."

My sources say that Phil Lamoureux has verbally committed to UND. He will play two more years of Juniors. He also visited the Gophers recently, but chose UND instead.

I have heard that this kid Phil Lamoureux is awesome.

Anyone have any more insight on him?