SiouxSports.com Forum

Thoughts on Denver Series

dden3

4 hours ago, choyt3 said:

Why? Is the ice different on an outdoor rink? Boards higher? Jagged metal on the nets? The only real difference between that and a regular practice was a roof. Man, you're reaching. 

You couldn't be more WRONG about the ice comparison.  Apparently you have never skated outside.  The ice is different, and with the many cracks and bumps, no matter how minute, it is amazing that there haven't been more injuries.  I'm not talking about the NHL-type outside ice that is pampered and worked on by professional rink workers.  The outside ice at community rinks, while not terribly dangerous, they still are not the same.  I speak from experience because my high school team (on which I played) played all of our home games outside.  My first time in indoor ice was at the OLD barn.  What a treat that was, especially with no wind!

43 minutes ago, Old Barn Guy at Home said:

You couldn't be more WRONG about the ice comparison.  Apparently you have never skated outside.  The ice is different, and with the many cracks and bumps, no matter how minute, it is amazing that there haven't been more injuries.  I'm not talking about the NHL-type outside ice that is pampered and worked on by professional rink workers.  The outside ice at community rinks, while not terribly dangerous, they still are not the same.  I speak from experience because my high school team (on which I played) played all of our home games outside.  My first time in indoor ice was at the OLD barn.  What a treat that was, especially with no wind!

Fine. Well, I guess now we know why the season has gone to !@#$. At the end of the year, point back at that outdoor practice as the turning point. :silly: 

Of course the ice is not the same. Did you read my next post in this thread? FFS

On 2/16/2016 at 7:50 PM, choyt3 said:

Fine. Well, I guess now we know why the season has gone to !@#$. At the end of the year, point back at that outdoor practice as the turning point. :silly: 

Of course the ice is not the same. Did you read my next post in this thread? FFS

I'm in agreement with you if you are saying that the outside ice practice was not the problem for the team.  I was only commenting on your statement in your first post (which I am now not able to find).  I was under the impression that you were claiming that the pretty much the only difference between inside and outside ice was the roof over the indoor ice. 

I think the most probable cause for the apparent lackluster performances was the flu, the altitude, injuries unknown to us, or a combination of those.  Also, with some key players just returning to the line up that weekend, they probably weren't at their game conditioning level yet.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Old Barn Guy at Home said:

I was under the impression that you were claiming that the pretty much the only difference between inside and outside ice was the roof over the indoor ice. 

In addition to your points, Outdoor ice is flooded with whatever temp water is in the truck or at the hose point.  Indoor uses hot water to bond the ice together and prevent flaking in between flood layers.  Zambonis used indoors also use a blade to scrape and smooth the ice as well as provide ice shavings at the flood point to fill in deep gouges in the surface.  If they just flood the rink with a hose that is shot into the air vs. a wand that lays water onto the ice it can make a huge difference as well.  Indoor ice surface temps are dropped to -4-8 below zero for flooding(if you are close to the ice at the Ralph they kick on the cooling system with 3-5 minutes left in the period to prep and you can feel the air cool), outdoor you don't have that control.  I could go on but...making good ice is a lot of fun. :silly:

• Upvote 3

On 2/14/2016 at 0:49 PM, dden3 said:
52 minutes ago, Old Barn Guy at Home said:

I think the most probable cause for the apparent lackluster performances was the flu, the altitude, injuries unknown to us, or a combination of those.  Also, with some key players just returning to the line up that weekend, they probably weren't at their game conditioning level yet.

Don't completely exclude DU as a factor.   They are much improved and could cause trouble for some teams moving forward. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, burd said:

Don't completely exclude DU as a factor.   They are much improved and could cause trouble for some teams moving forward. 

Yeah, the whole conference is tough. But the team I saw last weekend is not the same team we have watched for most of this season. I expect a big rebound weekend vs. Duluth.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, MoreSiouxForYou said:

In addition to your points, Outdoor ice is flooded with whatever temp water is in the truck or at the hose point.  Indoor uses hot water to bond the ice together and prevent flaking in between flood layers.  Zambonis used indoors also use a blade to scrape and smooth the ice as well as provide ice shavings at the flood point to fill in deep gouges in the surface.  If they just flood the rink with a hose that is shot into the air vs. a wand that lays water onto the ice it can make a huge difference as well.  Indoor ice surface temps are dropped to -4-8 below zero for flooding(if you are close to the ice at the Ralph they kick on the cooling system with 3-5 minutes left in the period to prep and you can feel the air cool), outdoor you don't have that control.  I could go on but...making good ice is a lot of fun. :silly:

Now that you mention it, I've noticed this before when down on the glass for games. I just always chalked it up to the amount of beer I'd drank effecting my senses.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, burd said:

Although I wasn't able to watch the games (I did see the scoring videos that were posted on this website), I do know that DU has improved greatly since their earlier visit to GF.  I totally agree that they (DU) were probably also a big factor in the way the games turned out.