SiouxSports.com Forum

Hockey East Stunner

nodakvindy

#8 BU 3

#1 BC 2

Also, New Hampshire and UMass pick up game 1 wins. BC is slumping at the worst time. However, some great UND teams were pushed to 3 games in the opening round so the Eagles certainly aren't done for.

Ah shucks.

I think also the Terriers proved earlier this season that they aren't a team to over looked at they tied two games with the mighty Gophers. If BU some how advances and wins their league title that could throw the NCAA playoffs selection team into a frenzy. That may throw one of the WCHA teams out of the playoff hunt. Drama. I love it..

They haven't updated the PWR rankings yet...but this could drop both BC and Maine from the tie for the top spot. It brings down BC, because they lost to an unranked team and that then lowers Maine's strength of schedule for the games they played vs BC, which could drop them just enough to leave UND at number 1.

According to USCHO boxscore, BC goalie let in 3 goals on 10 shots - ISH!!!

Pretty amazing stat for BC, a team that's been great defensively most of the season. BC also went 0-6 on the power play, which didn't help.

I remember that wise old man Jason Notermann saying that hockey can be a weird game. Sometimes you'll score 5 goals on 10 shots and other times you can't score 1 goal on 50 shots.

Sounds like BC had one of those games.

Sounds like BC drew inspiration from a sparse crowd of 3200. (Source: USCHO.)

If BU makes it in, whoever is #14 would presumably get bumped (St Cloud, Notre Dame ...) Or #15 if the ECAC bid goes to Colgate...

That'd be #14 if Colgate gets the ECAC auto. 13, if not. Both AH and the CHA get autobids, which will eliminate #15 and #16.

They haven't updated the PWR rankings yet...but this could drop both BC and Maine from the tie for the top spot. It brings down BC, because they lost to an unranked team and that then lowers Maine's strength of schedule for the games they played vs BC, which could drop them just enough to leave UND at number 1.

Actually the BU win really helps Maine, as it will keep them a TUC and help Maine hold on to that comparsion against UND. There is a chance that the best thing that could happen to Maine would be to get swept by Merrimack. It will hurt their RPI, but not enough to likely lose any comparisons. They also wouldn't have to face any more TUCs that could beat them and hurt them in that category.

UND will probably have to win the Final Five and have Maine lose to a TUC to win the head-to-head comparison. Otherwise, they will need to stay in a three way tie or have Maine lose a comparison against someone else to get the overall #1 seed.

UND will probably have to win the Final Five and have Maine lose to a TUC to win the head-to-head comparison. Otherwise, they will need to stay in a three way tie or have Maine lose a comparison against someone else to get the overall #1 seed.

You talk as if there is only one #1 seed given out, when there is actually four of them given out. Who cares who is #1 now, lets be on top at the end of the tournament.

Being #1 overall would result in that team playing the lowest seed overall, I believe, so that's at least one benefit from having that ranking. But, it's also obviously true that we all just want to be #1 in the end.

This just gives us a bunch of things to speculate about in the meantime....

(I also see I misread the box score when I made an earlier post -- BU scored 3 goals in 8 shots in the first 2 periods, not in 5 shots. I was looking at Matti's saves so the 3 that went in weren't accounted for....)

IF there is 3 western teams ranked 1-2-3 in RPI will one of the teams get a #1 seed out East or does there have to be 2 East teams in both #1 seeds out East?

Top four PWRs get the top four seeds.

Next four get the two-seeds.

Etc. Etc.

Who cares who is #1 now, lets be on top at the end of the tournament.

CRR,

Actually you should care because I believe the #1 overall seed is the "home" team throughout the tournament, therefore, they get the last line change, which means UND, if #1 overall, could match lines in the FF - we all know DB is a master at that - so it is huge.

CRR,

Actually you should care because I believe the #1 overall seed is the "home" team throughout the tournament, therefore, they get the last line change, which means UND, if #1 overall, could match lines in the FF - we all know DB is a master at that - so it is huge.

Bingo!

Be careful what you wish for. I can remember the last time the number one overall seed won the tourney. Although maybe BC did it in '01, but I think Mich State may have been top seed.

You are right sagard, but after Minnesota broke the #1 West jinx and the back-to-back drought last year, perhaps now is the time for the overall #1 curse to go down.

You are right sagard, but after Minnesota broke the #1 West jinx and the back-to-back drought last year, perhaps now is the time for the overall #1 curse to go down.

Yeah, but it is so hard to tell if the "jinx" was going after the #1 western seed or simply the top seed since they are usually the same team. :(