SiouxSports.com Forum

sioux #2 seed

nickelboy

These are the people we can thank for putting this tournament in such a fine facility:

Laure Smith, Nebraska-Kearney (chair)

Todd Barry, Wayne St.

Lisa Carlsen, Nebraska-Omaha (presumably replaced since she's been fired at UNO)

Paul Fessler, Concordia-St. Paul

Steve Kirkham, Mesa St.

Nancy Neiber, South Dakota St.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a fan from NSU, I agree with the comments about the Ganglehoff center. We haved been forced to play our conference tournaments there for the last few years. At this point the conference refuses to give the conference tournament to the conference winner. I think they feel because the same teams have dominated over the last 20 years that they think it may give someone else a chance on a different floor.

Parking is real scarce around the Ganglehoff. If your looking for a good place to stay go to the 4 Points Sheraton. It is within walking distance (about 2-3 blocks.)

On a side note, Concordia lost one of their best players Saturday with an injury. I was told she was out for the year, but don't know for sure.

First, the seating capacity at Concordia was listed at 1200. Then, they tell us it's actually going to be 4500. Now, I just saw on their web site that it's going to be 2700. I wonder what it will be tomorrow? :D

EDIT: I almost forgot, I e-mailed the chairperson of the regional committee yesterday expressing my concerns about the adequacy of the facility. She responded that the NCAA has no minimum seating requirements (I never suggested otherwise), and that Concordia is set for a capacity of 3200! So that's at least four different alleged capacities. What a versatile building!

Did UND kiss goodbye to hosting basketball regionals or what?

The regional at CSP is a Friday, Saturday, Monday final regional. Then, the Elite Eight isn't for 12 days after that. It'd be easy to shift that around a day or two and still give the regional champion time to rest and get to the Eight.

Never worry about working out schedules when home playoff games are at stake. It just happens.

So are we going to get there and then it be back to a capacity of 1200 and people turned away? How about the ticket prices...are they all of a sudden going to double when you walk up to the window, heck how about games times? Did they not see in Brookings last year that more than 800 people actually come to NCC games?How about the four NCC teams just meet somewhere again and screw everyone else. I hope someone from the NCC pounds CSP by 30 and show them what real BB is about.

So are we going to get there and then it be back to a capacity of 1200 and people turned away? How about the ticket prices...are they all of a sudden going to double when you walk up to the window, heck how about games times? Did they not see in Brookings last year that more than 800 people actually come to NCC games?How about the four NCC teams just meet somewhere again and screw everyone else. I hope someone from the NCC pounds CSP by 30 and show them what real BB is about.

Exactly, that is why I said that, and I hate to say it, it is a actually a risk going to because the chance that you will be turned away at the door is pretty fair. If I were to go and be turned away at the door, needless to say it wouldn't be a good experience for the people at CSP.

Even though it's going to hurt the overall strength of the NCC in women's basketball for NDSU and SDSU to leave, the one good thing that should come out of it is that now UND should have a better chance to go through the regular season with hopefully just a couple of losses instead of 4 to 6, and we won't be in a position of having to hope that the committee realizes that playing a tougher schedule necessitates a few more losses than somebody playing Concordia's schedule. Obviously, the fact that the NCC wins the region every year isn't enough to get respect from the committee.

Even though it's going to hurt the overall strength of the NCC in women's basketball for NDSU and SDSU to leave, the one good thing that should come out of it is that now UND should have a better chance to go through the regular season with hopefully just a couple of losses instead of 4 to 6, and we won't be in a position of having to hope that the committee realizes that playing a tougher schedule necessitates a few more losses than somebody playing Concordia's schedule.  Obviously, the fact that the NCC wins the region every year isn't enough to get respect from the committee.

Even so, the probelm still exists, and this current situation is a prime example, that the region is (it seems deliberately) trying to hold the NCC back. Let's face it, the current NCC is the ACC of D2 women's basketball, and even more dominant then that, and I don't think I am wrong suggesting that UND with its run over the past 15 years probably being the Duke of D2. And yet UND is being held back by a team, CSP, who is more like a mid-major, comparing them to a Gonzaga, a team which despite its great teams has never received a top 4 seed in the Big Dance(that will change this year, a 2 or 3) would be generous on my part. Knowledgeable people realize these things, even uninformed people realize these things, why is it so hard for D2 and the north central region to realize these things and make a change instead of doing things that are to the detrement of the real powers that do exist. It is D2 in a nutshell though.

I am not the one complaining about SOS, I just read that your university cannot except the fact that Concordia is hosting the tournament. It sounds like jealousy to me, but that is only my opinion! I follow both leagues and I understand the NCC's pain of knowing an NSIC school is hosting the tournament

Well, Concordia will be hosting the region and because you the NCC will continue to cry and post little forums complaining about how everyone should bow down to you, this discussion will end. At least the NSIC won't stoop to your low level and cry about everything that doesn't go our way! Good Luck, see you in St. Paul

Should we have a "board pool". Instead of guessing how many jelly beans are in a jar we can guess what the Gangelhoff Center will actually hold. I am going to go with an intermediate number... how about 2,200.

anybody else with a guess?

Should we have a "board pool".  Instead of guessing how many jelly beans are in a jar we can guess what the Gangelhoff Center will actually hold.  I am going to go with an intermediate number... how about 2,200. 

I'll guess 2500. For a tiebreaker, maybe we can also guess the total number of complaints that Concordia's athletic department will receive about how this tournament was run!

Should we have a "board pool". Instead of guessing how many jelly beans are in a jar we can guess what the Gangelhoff Center will actually hold. I am going to go with an intermediate number... how about 2,200.

Better yet, what's the capacity of the arena as stated by the Fire Marshall?

If it takes 3 hours to get 4,000 people inside, I'm guessing the building wouldn't meet fire code to get them out. :);)

It's really perplexing why NCAA DII throws away so much possible revenue. :D