SiouxSports.com Forum

Mike Prpich

Green Guy

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'dagies':

The growth is interesting, but the position "10" (Prpich) is listed at on that roster is more interesting.

I missed that, Sicatoka.  VERY interesting.

It's funny, because earlier today when I was musing about this additional forward, I was again pondering the possibility that if he is a tenacious, 2 way player, what is the chance he could play D.

I guess he actually has a little experience there.  This creates more interesting speculation.

I think we can all be thankful to Coach Blais and the staff that they gave us something to talk about, right when things were getting dead.   :D

I just hope the rest of the UND brotherhood understand it's tounge firmly in cheek.

BTW - At least Lucia recruits kids and not some Canadian going throug a mid-life crisis with a wife, four kids and a mortgage.  :D

I could get some intersting e-mails.

Interesting note about the SO class in an earlier post.  I'm waiting for a flame war regarding players leaving on USHCO or POI.  The total roster number keeps growing in the Forks and it will be an issue soon.

For sure not unusual for kids to want to chase the puck and score. Which is why it always surprised me when we played young Canadian teams to see youngsters (5-8 year olds) so willing to play the defensive position, even those that did not ever get a chance to rush up the ice and score.

Made those young teams nearly impossible to beat, because they were so good defensively (positionally). Only time we did is when we had many better skaters than they did.

The defensive positioning is prevalent throughout Canadian prairie hockey. Certainly in the coaching; must also be something in the genes :D

"Back in the day" :0 when I played hockey against Canadian teams it was not unusual to see a d-man play forward in subsequent games, or in a few case subsequent periods.  Against Minnesota teams, usually the players stayed in the same positions throughout their "careers".  Euro teams tend to follow the Minnesota model.  I played forward mainly, but also pulled shifts on the D too.  Then again, if I ever got back into the game, all of those accrued PIM would probably put me right back in the box.  :D

I think that "cross-training" has a viable role as it never hurts to have a forward who's strong on the "D" or a d-man who can actually move the puck. :(  One dimensional players only hamper themselves and their teams.

So did you play in GF, Scott?

Always thought GF had the best coaching in ND, no doubt due to the influence of the Sioux and some players that stuck around to coach throughout the younger ranks.

Definitely or more Canadian-like game played there than in the rest of ND.

I'm more than a bit lost at what Canadian team plays at what level. Pantherfan on USCHO has posted a link to pics of the Saskatoon Contacts (think that's the team, don't know for sure). Yet Prpich apparently now plays at Penticton in the BCHL. Don't know what level the Contacts play at, although McMahon was there also?:D?

Sprig, I lived in GF until I was 12.  Hence, the early Canadian exposure, which usually meant we got kicked around at some tourneys, literally and figuratively. :0  Moved to Fargo and the level of play was not the same.  Ended up on an American Legion or VFW (?) team they had at the time instead of doing the parkboard thing.  Contrary to its own "spin" Fargo is not a hockey town.

Never played in HS, as I spent more time playing pickup games with older former HS and college players.  Started playing on a "real" team again when I was in the army and stationed in Europe.  Played a lot of Swedish, Czech, German and Finnish teams.  A few Canadian army teams too.  Good times.  :(   Would have had a chance to play a Russian team in Vienna, but had to go "play army."   :D  :)

Not much love here for Fag-row hockey. Coach of the Fargo jg team at this spring's state tourney sent a player off the bench to take out our goalie. He came in untouched, on his back, skates first, and, with our goalie down, lifted and planted a blade just above the knee and the pad. 64 stiches in 3 layers. Coach was over on the bench with a big grin on his face. He's now been suspended from coaching in ND indefinitely. A bit much for a recreational, highly unskilled league (or any other, for that matter). No matter how cheap it gets, I've never seen a player at any level attempt to do that with a skate.

Scott - if you ever get the time you know you'd be more than welcome.  It's a fun group.  Plus, our heads are so bleepin big right now we need the reality check only Sioux fans and their seven rings can provide.  :(  Plus we have a rule, if the team you cheer for has the most NC's, you buy the first three rounds!  :D

dagies, Goon - ditto.