SiouxSports.com Forum

Mike Prpich

Green Guy

I'm more than a bit lost at what Canadian team plays at what level. Pantherfan on USCHO has posted a link to pics of the Saskatoon Contacts (think that's the team, don't know for sure). Yet Prpich apparently now plays at Penticton in the BCHL. Don't know what level the Contacts play at, although McMahon was there also?:D?

Don't feel too lost. It's hard to keep all of the teams and levels straight.

The Saskatoon Contacts are a Midget AAA team. That level is generally considered a half to full step better than HS hockey in the US although there are individual exceptions to every rule. I'm sure some Twin Cities AA HS teams could easily handle some Midget AAA teams. (Shattuck - St. Mary's plays under a Midget AAA classification.)

The BCHL is a Canadian Tier II junior league. That is the next step up from Midget AAA. Comparable would be the USHL in the US.

The Western Hockey League (WHL) is Canadian Tier I, also called Major Junior. They make direct payments to players where Tier II teams pay the host families. That's why players with MJ time have to sit out a year before playing in the NCAA (the payment infers "professional" according to the NCAA).

Now that's a brief overview and may not be 100% accurate but I'm sure someone will come in and fill in the blanks.

And yes, McMahon and Prpich were Contacts teammates in 1999-2000.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now which is it; online article has his name as purr-pitch, while pantherfan on uscho says it purr-pick??

I'm going with pantherfan until we find out differently.  One figures he has heard the name an awful lot over the PA at Penticton:

"Perrrrrrrrrrrrrrr-pick SCORING!"

"Penalties assessed to Vernon's Joe Blow, 2 minutes for roughing.  To Penticton's Mike Per-pick, 10 minutes for fighting and a game disqualification"