SiouxSports.com Forum

USCH Bracketology

NorthDakotaHockey

For those of you who do not want to link to USCHO, here is their February 18 speculation . . . . .

West Regional:

16 Bemidji State vs. 1 North Dakota

12 Denver vs. 7 Minnesota

Midwest Regional:

14 Brown vs. 4 Michigan

11 Ohio State vs. 5 Minnesota-Duluth

East Regional:

13 Michigan State vs. 3 Maine

10 Wisconsin vs. 6 St. Cloud State

Northeast Regional:

15 Holy Cross vs. 2 Boston College

9 Miami vs. 8 New Hampshire

I would love to see a bracket with Duluth and Minnesota meeting in the quarter finals......now that would be some college hockey!!!!!! :lol:

That's not funny. Why would you even say something like that.

If the Sioux played the Gophers in the second round it would be the greatest day of my life because there is no way the Sioux will lose. They can't lose, they just can't. The Gophers can't win three in a row, they just can't.

For those of you who do not want to link to USCHO, here is their February 18 speculation . . . . .

West Regional:

12 Denver vs. 7 Minnesota

Midwest Regional:

14 Brown vs. 4 Michigan

11 Ohio State vs. 5 Minnesota-Duluth

East Regional:

13 Michigan State vs. 3 Maine

10 Wisconsin vs. 6 St. Cloud State

Northeast Regional:

9 Miami vs. 8 New Hampshire

Two first round games with same conferance match-ups? It will never fly... check it SHOULD never fly.

MI ST should not be in the tourny - they are a terrible team this year. From what I've seen the CCHA is no better than the ECAC this year and should only have two teams. IF CC has a strong showing the next couple of weeks they should be in the top 14 in PWR and make the tourny. In that case I could see CC and Denver in Denver and the Sioux moving to MI.

One caveat, USCHO's PWR and bracketology treat Mass.-Lowell's forfeited wins as if they were wins. The NCAA hasn't yet announced how it is going to handle the Mass.-Lowell forfeits for the purposes of tournament selection, but I would be stunned if they left them as "wins" as USCHO does throughout its site.

From my weblog musing, if Mass.-Lowell's forfeited wins are counted as not having been played, their forfeited losses are maintained, and you use an RPI bonus of .005, .003, .001, B.C. is already ahead of UND in the PWR.

I can understand why USCHO is hesitant to put any adjustment in place until it's known, but it makes it quite likely that thier RPI/PWR numbers will turn out to have been different from those the NCAA uses for tournament selection. FYI, the RPI and PWR on this site are calculated with the assumption that Mass.-Lowell forfeits will be handled as I described above. I've also newly updated both screens to list the number of bonus games for each team (if the math is tough, USCHO has a handy bonus calculator that does the math for you, but using their forfeit assumptions).

Here's the update link for Feb. 25:

USCHO Brackets

Here's what they boil it down to:

West Regional:

15 Holy Cross vs. 3 North Dakota

11 Ohio State vs. 6 Minnesota

Midwest Regional:

13 Notre Dame vs. 4 Minnesota-Duluth

12 Denver vs. 5 Michigan

East Regional:

14 Colgate vs. 2 Maine

9 Miami vs. 7 Wisconsin

Northeast Regional:

16 Bemidji State vs. 1 Boston College

10 St. Cloud State vs. 8 New Hampshire

Amazingly enough, we dropped to third in the PWR and UMD is now in fourth. A split would probably help UND more, since they beat a top ten team on the road. Feel free to correct me on that Jim.

Either way, I think it makes this an even bigger series. I'd be curious to see if UMD got ahead of UND, if they'd be sent to Michigan or Colorado.

Amazingly enough, we dropped to third in the PWR and UMD is now in fourth. A split would probably help UND more, since they beat a top ten team on the road. Feel free to correct me on that Jim.

Either way, I think it makes this an even bigger series. I'd be curious to see if UMD got ahead of UND, if they'd be sent to Michigan or Colorado.

My guess, should UMD finish ahead of the Sioux in the PWR (BIG if), is that they would be sent to MI. Closer to Daloot. (They still care about that in the NCAA's, right?)

I would love to see the Sioux and Gophers hook up at the World. Maybe a little payback for last year at the Maroosh.

Of course, we cannot look past a first round matchup. Perhaps like we did last year. Who was that Ferris State Hobey candidate who killed us last March?

Cripes, was that a depressing game.

This year. New team. New venue. Different result.

I would love to see the Sioux and Gophers hook up at the World. Maybe a little payback for last year at the Maroosh.

Be careful of what you wish for! Actually I'm kind of hoping it works out that way as well. :)

Of the current #1 seeds, I think Maine is the team most likely to lose their seed, with Michigan potentially sneaking in as the last top seed. UND will not lose their comparison with UMD, unless they lose three straight to UMD. Very unlikely.

Here's the March 3 update: See link for explanation/reasons.

USCHO Bracketology

No Bonus

Midwest Regional:

13 Colgate vs. 4 Minnesota-Duluth

9 Denver vs. 5 Michigan

West Regional:

10 Miami vs. 8 Wisconsin

East Regional:

14 St. Cloud State vs. 3 Maine

12 Notre Dame vs. 6 Minnesota

Northeast Regional:

11 Ohio State vs. 7 New Hampshire

Very interesting to see that St. Cloud drops out of the PairWise when the bonus is included (I didn't post it, because there could be different bonus amounts, and the brackets change with each one). I like the chance to face Wisconsin again. It should be noted that we will probably drop in the PWR after this weekend, and therefore could see a team like Minnesota who is ranked higher.

Edited by cheeringsiouxfromsmoggycali

Oh Vay!! Somebody wake me when they finallize the selections. Looks like you boys won't get a chance to come to GR to play the Van Andel. Too bad, would love to see some of you guys again in the Laker Nation's backyard. ???

No offense, but we would rather avoid playing Michigan in Michigan....that has been the death of quite a few WCHA NC conteneders in the past. So we view it as a good thing.