SiouxSports.com Forum

Fighting Sioux Coaches Show

PCM

Disclaimer: This is a summary of the weekly Fighting Sioux Coaches how. It is NOT a verbatim transcript of the show. Comments by the show's hosts and the coaches are paraphrased to the best of the author's ability and are NOT direct quotes. This summary contains selected highlights from the show and is NOT a comprehensive account of all topics covered or discussed. This broadcast summary represents the interpretation of the author and is not associated in any manner with SiouxSports.com, the University of North Dakota or US College Hockey Online. This summary MAY NOT BE REPRODUCED without the written permission of the author.

Live from Joe DiMaggio's Restaurant in beautiful downtown Grand Forks. Tim Hennessy and Scott Swygman are the hosts with Coach Dean Blais.

Tim says Rich Glas saved UND from total humiliation by beating the Bison last weekend. He said he saw Robbie Earl

Even when Wisconsin led 4-1 on Saturday, Blais said there was a feeling on the bench that they would come back to tie the game. They had their opportunities, but couldn't cash in. Tim said the Badgers reminded him of SCSU. They don't have a lot of scoring talent, but they work hard. Blais said that they'd love to play the Badgers again in the Final Five.
About halfway through the 3rd, sitting in the stands with Kiork among others, I definitely had the feeling that we were going to get something going. The Sioux certainly found some intensity but seemed to be shooting straight into Bruckler (my instinct is to give Bruckler credit for making it seem that way). I actually felt more optimistic at that point on Saturday night than I did when it was 3-2 on Friday night.

Tim noted that every power ranking ranks the Sioux first. Blais said that's because they gained points in losing by one goal to a ranked team.

That may have affected polls, in which we're ranked second, but goal differential only plays a part in Eric Carlson's CCHP and CHODR, of the major computer rankings. I have to start sending in a weekly memo explaining the rankings :)

The Sioux certainly found some intensity but seemed to be shooting straight into Bruckler (my instinct is to give Bruckler credit for making it seem that way).

Actually it might be because Bruckler is a big goalie (Mass and Size wise) too, of all the games I have seen him play: Bruckler is either really on or really not very good. It sounded like Bruckler has been in the zone all year. Either that or our shooters hit a cold spot...

At this time of the season, Blais said that practices seem long. The players need rest for the mental part of the game. He noted that until Friday night, the Sioux have not been losing games in third period.

I actually thought of this before the Wisconsin series, and was wishing that the Sioux had one of their mandatory week long breaks around now. The hockey season is long, and starting a new semester with new classes can add some extra stress to the pressure of playing up to Sioux fans'/players' standards. I can't imagine what it takes to be a student athlete when I think of how stressed I get at times in my program. A week off would probably be good for these guys to avoid burn out.

Actually it might be because Bruckler is a big goalie (Mass and Size wise) too, of all the games I have seen him play: Bruckler is either really on or really not very good. It sounded like Bruckler has been in the zone all year. Either that or our shooters hit a cold spot...

When you're facing a goalie who is stopping everything he can see, throw stuff at him that he can't see. Briggs was in the zone on Friday at Mariucci, and two screened shots later the Sioux had the lead. The Sioux have the ability to make the pretty play, but sometimes ugly is the only was to go.

A poster on uscho made one observation of the Sioux that, thinking back, watching on dataflix, may have been correct. He said the forwards were all so involved in the forecheck on Saturday that nobody thought of going to the net and creating traffic.