SiouxSports.com Forum

Offense - who will step up and lead?

CAUNDfan

33 members have voted

1. 1. Offense - who will step up and lead?

• R. Hale
    • Notermann
    • Spiewak
    • Lundbohm
    • Other (See responses, below)

jk,

I enjoyed your perspective of the line possiblities.  Your analysis shows the common theme on this thread-the line combinations are completely up in the air (even for us experts).  You (accurately) have Massen being anywhere from the first line to the fourth.  Talk about a wild card!

I agree with you that it appears we'll have several quality forwards next year.  I love the fact that there will be lots of competition for playing time.  There's nothing like the threat of a "press box view" to make someone work harder.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

With Prpich added to the fold, here's another way to look at the forwards:

Guys who knock people on their butts:

Hale

Canady

McMahon

Prpich

Guys who can really skate:

Spiewak

Notermann

Connelly

Parise

Fylling

Genoway

The good-hands crew (nice offensive skill, but not the fleetest-a-foot):

Lundbohm

Fournier

Bochenski

Massen

Of course you could move guys around, but the general point is that there's a lot of diversity there, which is good.

• 2 weeks later...

ScottM asked on the Pur-pick thread about who might not be on the roster next year.  To keep that thread from diverging, let's pick that topic up here.

I believe this shows available bodies sans Faul for 2002-03.  We can speculate from here:

Bochenski            Lundbohm           Notermann

Spiewak              R Hale                Parise

Genoway             Fournier              McMahon

Fylling                 R Connelly           Canady

Massen               Palmiscno            B Connelly

Prpich

Jones                  D Hale                  

Fuher                  Schneider              

Greene                Leinweber

Marvin

Brandt

Sedevie

Sofie

Siembida

This roster has 27 guys on it.  According to this site, last year's roster contained 27 guys as well.  One of those was Genoway.  So if you remove one guy (walk-on B Connelly), then you have equal numbers of players as last year, and that takes care of itself.

One wonders what you are going to do with 15 forwards.  Well, what happens if you DID work Prpich at D?  You sit Palmiscno and the weakest forward that week in practice and there you have it.

You then sit the weakest 2 D's, I'm guessing Marvin and Leinweber (maybe someone else as I still think Leinweber will have a better season.)

Even if Prpich doesn't play at D, you have a lot of competition for forward spots.  It could be a tough cut every week, deciding which forwards sit.  My guess is Prpich would sit his fair share, as he learns to moderate those penalty minutes.....

Don't you think Blais has specific plans for Prpich?  He played LW in the BCHL if I'm not mistaken.  The possible roster at LW could be:

Lundbohm

Hale

Canady

Prpich

Am I right about this or do I have some personnel mixed-up?  Similarly, the lineups at center could be:

Fournier

Spiewak

Parise

Genoway

R. Connelly

and at RW:

Bochenski

Notermann

Massen

McMahon

Fylling

Palmiscno

As I said above, I'm not claiming to know exactly what position people are slotted at, but if I'm at all correct in these listings, it looks like Blais brought in Prpich to play LW and the only position that is "overcrowded" is RW.

Discussing a player's grades is not really material for a public forum, unless you wish to post your own or some other personal information.  

Until the AD's office or another official source puts out a release of sorts, who is around in August is merely idle speculation.

ScottM, you are probably right.  I'm done with it.

OETKB

On another site, there was a discussion about forwards playing on their "off" wing.  I'm not a player myself, but it sounded like for those who do play, there are some advantages, especially when around the net, if you play the off wing.  You have better shooting angles at times.  Some players preferred that, especially if they played down low.

Playing the "correct" wing is better for passing and catching, and playing on the boards out by the blue line, and I am sure in other areas.  

Based on that information, it is my considered opinion (yeah right!  :D) that being short in left or right handed wings is not that big of an issue.  

However, there is no escaping the facts as you state them.

I would expect Palmiscno, Faul and B. Connelly to play against the weak non-conference foes and not much more.  That leaves fourteen good forwards fighting for twelve spots.  Considering the inevitable injuries, that sounds about right.  As to who returns next year, I agree that waiting for the fall sounds like a good idea.

• 1 month later...