SiouxSports.com Forum

It's that time of year again.

The Sicatoka

The first story I've seen so far this year about tuition increases at ND State Board of Higher Education schools showed up in Saturday's Fargo Forum.

This is what NDSU projects:

NDSU is proposing an 18 percent tuition increase for 2004-05, 4 percent higher than officials projected last year. ...

At the same time, the (NDSU) student senate is considering raising the activity fee by $2 per credit, in part to pay for increased travel costs related to NDSU

Ouch, ouch. I thought double digit tuition increases were only the brainchild of the Minnesota higher ed honchos. However, I can see the need for increased fees for a move to D1. BN generally charges more to carry cargo to desolate, remote locations. ???:silly:

Geez, those NDSU students could have attended UND and paid more for tuition, even including the proposed tuition increase at NDSU. :silly:

The primary reason UND's tuition is higher is due to the fact that our restrooms are equipped with toilet paper, as opposed to corn cobs and old catalogs. ???

What is the tuition at UND and NDSU?

When I was looking at schools in 98, I had a full ride to Minnesota. I chose UND on a partial (didn't score big enough on ACT), because it cost more to live at Minnesota than cost of living AND school at UND.

Here's NDSU's cost for a ND resident: -SOURCE

ND Resident

Per Year Tuition $3,374.00 (with 18% increase- $3981.32)

Student and

Technology Fees1 $ 590.72

Matriculation Fee2 $ 45.00

Room and Board $4,471.00

Total $8,480.72 (with 18% tuition increase-$9088.04)

Here's UND's cost for a ND resident:-SOURCE

Room and Board Rates

It's fairly obvious UND has a Law School :silly: -(that's a comment on the way the tuition fees are laid out)

Per Year Tuition-$4,156.00

Student Fees-$715.22

Room and Board-$4,234

Total-$9105.22

My first quarter at NDSU I paid $212 tuition (back in 1979). I think that included fulltime tuition, but not the activity fee. ND does not support the academic side of higher ed. the way it deserves to be supported. UND and NDSU are always coming out on the short end of the stick when compared with peer institutions. It is too bad.

You bet ouch.

When all the numbers come out, I'm sure we'll see nearly every campus in the state with back to back double-digit years.

I have my idea on how to solve it, but folks in Mayville, Valley City, Bottineau, and Williston wouldn't like it.

I have my idea on how to solve it, but folks in Mayville, Valley City, Bottineau, and Williston wouldn't like it.

One thing that always perplexed me about NoDak's higher ed system was why Valley City and Mayville had 4 year schools, and I believe they offer grad degrees too, when both are within a fairly short drive of Fargo or GF. I thought they would be nice 2 year "feeder" schools or community colleges. Then again, I suppose they'll linger a slow, festering death, much like the communities in which they reside. ???:)

In 7 years at UND, for undergrad and law, tuition and fees were raised every year but one as I recall. However, if you talk about trimming programs, cutting out useless BS "-Studies" majors/minors, etc. the faculty, many students, etc. go nuts and then bitch about increased tuition and fees, and lack of space and resources for their 2-3 person programs... ???:)

• 1 month later...

What I find pretty shady about the tuition hike is that the state has set up a regulation that allows tuition to be raised by a maximum of 17%. So the state or whoever sets the tuition hike sets it at 16.5%. Oh, thanks for the generosity in not raising tuition to the maximum allowable %. Now, the big whigs, when asked why such a large hike for the second straight year, can say they could have raised it an extra 1/2%, but didn't. How generous.